Pick a cheap router

My current router is about 6-7 years old. It has been slowing down a lot for my family who use the wifi. Want to get a new one but don't want to spend a lot money. Look at the 2 below, what are the difference between the 2? Other than the prices. Which one should I go for or is there better ones in that price range?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/linksys-...&skuId=6571467
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/linksys-...&skuId=6571476

Thanks
    Last edited by Asuras; 2015-06-26 at 08:54 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Neither?

I'd recommend picking up a TP-Link TL-WR841 from Fry's if you have one, or Amazon, Walmart, Newegg, whatever. It's a $20 N300 router that supports DD-WRT, and honestly one of the best performance to value router's I've found.

You said that your router is old, and 'slowing down' for the family. That.... is sort of an obscure statement. Routers don't 'wear down'.

What router is it? What's the problem they're experiencing? What service/modem do you have? What devices do they have? What have you done to try and resolve it? Often times theres a better way to go about it than replacing stuff with expensive stuff that doesn't do anything more.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

https://www.google.com/shopping/prod...&ved=0CJYBEOok

Is the router I currently use. The connection for those on the wifi would slow down (not while I'm wired in). I would reset the router itself to fix the issue but would slow down randomly again. My ISP is Comcast and everything is green on their end. And my own connection that is wired in has no issues. Just those using the Wifi.
    Last edited by Asuras; 2015-06-26 at 09:25 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    While it doesn't support DD-WRT, try setting everyone's IP to static first. That may alleviate some issues right there.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab