Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    I'm surprised this law is so cut and dried, with no possible room to maneuver based on circumstances.

Deleted
    and here I thought Canadians were nice!

then again I had an unfortunate encounter with the canadian border control personnel a few years earlier..

And we have Canadians (one in particular that comes to mind I wont name) give any one flack for complaining about American immigrant policies
    just here recently he was bragging how great Canada was concerning immigration
    Last edited by Vyxn; 2015-06-28 at 12:21 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vyxn View Post
    And we have Canadians (one in particular that comes to mind I wont name) give any one flack for complaining about American immigrant policies
    Actually, Canada is world-renowned and has been for a long time for its economic immigration policies to the point where other developed countries try to mimic them. There are also other types of immigration, including political, e.g. asylum seekers and refugees.

This case has nothing to do with immigration. This is a tourist breaking the conditions of his tourist visa (who, btw, as a Brit has privileged access to plenty of other options). Period.

How it has been enforced in this situation is the only significant thing that makes it different from other developed countries....
    Last edited by mmoc83df313720; 2015-06-28 at 01:03 PM.

Deleted
    I'm pretty sure I saw this on a TV show about Canadian immigration - apparently they're very strict

Quote Originally Posted by jasdasm View Post
    If he didnt got any Money its not doing a Job.. dafuck
    Doesn't matter, unless you have a work visa basically every country will not allow you to work...even for free. It is *specifically* stated as such.

In short, guy breaks law, gets deported. Moving on.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Afrospinach View Post
    Doesn't matter, unless you have a work visa basically every country will not allow you to work...even for free. It is *specifically* stated as such.

In short, guy breaks law, gets deported. Moving on.
    I do have to agree with this even though it's somewhat anal, the guy would've been told upon entering

Deleted
    Do people get kicked out of Canada, once they "take away the job" of a Canadian? That's the real thing here then I guess. Whether he "took away a job" from a Canadian is debatable, but I've never heard of foreigners getting kicked out of Canada because they have a job. Why even have foreigners in your country at all then?

Quote Originally Posted by Furitrix View Post
    Every unreported illegal worker claims they don't get paid when caught. The law doesn't take it as an excuse tbh, because they usually have no way to proove if someone got paid in cash or not. The law technically requires every form of work to be reported, same goes for every home-made product you give to others. If you don't the employment and taxation laws are wide open to fuck your life up if a government tax official really wanted to do that. (Should be a good story for a book!)
    The general rule of thumb in law is that the one making a claim has to prove it and something that can't be proven can as well just not exist as far as courts (and other state institutions) are concerned. So if the state can't prove whether someone got paid in cash or not, it's the problem of the state, not the person they accuse of tax evasion or unreported employment. And the way labor laws are constructed is that they usually apply to work to begin with, which more often than not requires the attribute of payment. If there is no payment, it isn't work and as such labor laws do not apply. If the state thinks it was work and there was payment included, again, it is up to the state to prove that. But chances are that in a given legal system labor laws won't apply by default. Same with tax laws. There needs to be a tax basis in the first place for there to be tax evasion. And if there was no work and the state can't prove there was, there was no tax basis of work, therefore there can be no talk of tax evasion.

The situation in the OP is related to neither employment law nor tax law like you claimed. It is immigration law subject, related to what activities someone living in Canada on tourist visa can and cannot take part in. And what they can do is very limited right now thanks to rather strict immigration law from the perspective of work permits (which are also (primarily) subject to immigration law).

Quote Originally Posted by Vyxn View Post
    That could be, I dunno, because Canada's immigration policy is still better than that of US. Always an option.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Does the CIA pay you for your bullshit or are you just bootlicking in your free time?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    I'm quite tired of people who dislike something/disagree with something while attacking/insulting anyone that disagrees. Its as if at some point, people forgot how opinions work.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Thoryana View Post
    Do people get kicked out of Canada, once they "take away the job" of a Canadian? That's the real thing here then I guess. Whether he "took away a job" from a Canadian is debatable, but I've never heard of foreigners getting kicked out of Canada because they have a job. Why even have foreigners in your country at all then?
    Only if they don't have a work permit

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    Only if they don't have a work permit
    Oh, well, in that case, I can understand it. But this seems rather extreme.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Thoryana View Post
    Oh, well, in that case, I can understand it. But this seems rather extreme.
    It is extreme but then that's Canada's policy. The guy should've known

Quote Originally Posted by Mehrunes View Post

That could be, I dunno, because Canada's immigration policy is still better than that of US. Always an option.
    Does Canada allow millions to waltz across its border uninvited illegally and allow them to stay? I don't think so

Quote Originally Posted by Furitrix View Post
    Most employment laws anywhere technically forbid you from helping your friends (non-relatives) with anything that could be considered work.
    Sounds like something you'd hear about from behind the Iron Curtain. Never heard of anything like this in the US at least, thankfully. Yet. We're trending in the direction of needing the government to sign off on your asswiping technique, so never can tell.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Even in Soviet Russia there were no such stupid laws.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Easy, if he received payment for it then it's clearly work...
    9thorder.com | Recruiting exceptional players!

10+ Year Old Account
    Wait a minute, so they were doing DIY and just because he is a foreigner it's wrong ? Fuck that bullshit, no way would YOU pay someone to do a job that you can do yourself with a £10 worth of stuff from any DIY shop.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kivana View Post
    Wait a minute, so they were doing DIY and just because he is a foreigner it's wrong ? Fuck that bullshit, no way would YOU pay someone to do a job that you can do yourself with a £10 worth of stuff from any DIY shop.
    We have a similar law

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyro1990 View Post
    That just seems dumb to me. In my eyes, if he didn't get payed I don't consider it "working illegally". Under this logic any time I did someone a favor, like helped them move out or give them a ride somewhere, I would be working for them? It just seems so petty to deport him for something like that.
    He got paid. Got paid with sex.
    Aye mate

think it's stupid... so right next time i'm visiting canada and go to a fast food place, i'm not going to clean away my shit i leave on the table incase i get accused of taking away someones job by doing it...