Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Building a Computer Nvidia or Radeon Graphics card?

So ive got everything decided what i want except for the card its either.

MSI Nvidia GTX 960 GAMING 2G PCI-Express Graphics Card

OR

Radeon R9 380 Gaming 4GB Graphics Video Card

Their both around the same price but one is 4G one is 2G wich one would the people of MMO say is the best on.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dorderi View Post
    So ive got everything decided what i want except for the card its either.

MSI Nvidia GTX 960 GAMING 2G PCI-Express Graphics Card

OR

Radeon R9 380 Gaming 4GB Graphics Video Card

Their both around the same price but one is 4G one is 2G wich one would the people of MMO say is the best on.
    If you play WoW only the GTX 960 is better due to WoW's inherent nVidia architecture preference.

If you play multiple games as well as higher spec games the R9 380 is the winner hands down.

Make your choice on this.

10+ Year Old Account
    And regardless of the option both are more than enough for WoW. The CPU makes a much more noticeable difference...

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Artorius View Post
    And regardless of the option both are more than enough for WoW. The CPU makes a much more noticeable difference...
    Except that there is a notable difference between AMD and nVidia for WoW.

And the fact that he's not asking for CPU as he's already decided on it, he's asking for graphics and which to pick.
    I am giving him the reasons why for which he is asking, what exactly are you contributing to his question?

10+ Year Old Account
    More important to know his budget.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Evildeffy View Post
    Except that there is a notable difference between AMD and nVidia for WoW.

And the fact that he's not asking for CPU as he's already decided on it, he's asking for graphics and which to pick.
    I am giving him the reasons why for which he is asking, what exactly are you contributing to his question?
    You already answered yourself, there is no need to say the same thing twice. The 380 is a better card overall but the 960 is better for WoW specifically. And I'm not exactly seeing him telling that he plays WoW, but let's go with this assumption.
    It's just that WoW is fairly lightweight when it comes to graphics and it doesn't really matter which one he chooses, the difference is meaningless in comparison to the difference the CPU would make.

GPU wise, both of them are OK (in fact both of them are overkill), he can set everything into max settings and have decent FPS with any of them as long as the CPU is strong enough to handle.
    Last edited by Artorius; 2015-06-30 at 04:49 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    You already answered yourself, there is no need to say the same thing twice. The 380 is a better card overall but the 960 is better for WoW specifically. And I'm not exactly seeing him telling that he plays WoW, but let's go with this assumption.
    It's just that WoW is fairly lightweight when it comes to graphics and it doesn't really matter which one he chooses, the difference is meaningless in comparison to the difference the CPU would make.

GPU wise, both of them are OK (in fact both of them are overkill), he can set everything into max settings and have decent FPS with any of them as long as the CPU is strong enough to handle.
    Normally you'd be right except that the difference in what FPS can be achieved, including minimum FPS is quite a bit better on the nVidia.
    If the game is WoW only than there's 0 reason to even consider the R9 380 simply due to that difference.

I think you're underestimating the difference nVidia has on WoW vs. AMD.

Deleted
    the r9 380 is little bit better in most of the games and everyday becomes better because drivers update , but for blizzard games nvidia is the choice

10+ Year Old Account
    In high populated scenarios these numbers are obviously lower, but you can get an idea.

It doesn't really make any difference unless running a 144hz monitor and even then, wow doesn't benefit much from it. For the average 60hz monitor, it makes no difference to be running at 100 or 150 fps. Both cards are way overkill.
    Last edited by Artorius; 2015-06-30 at 08:12 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    In high populated scenarios these numbers are obviously lower, but you can get an idea.

If only that benchmark showed more than just average framerate, like minimum.
    Though the fact that a 960 is equal in terms to an R9 290 is quite telling.

10+ Year Old Account
    You're in the hundreds of FPS in a game that doesn't care about the GPU. The r9 380 is at least better at other games.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'd look at benchmarks for the games I want to play, then divide the FPS by price.

Deleted
    If only that benchmark showed more than just average framerate, like minimum.
    Generaly speaking minimum frames will depend on your cpu not gpu unless you have a 10year old gpu.

Have a look at the following, for 1080p (for 1440p the dif seems higher) that Nvidia is running better on blizzard games than amd. A gtx770 beats a R9 290X easily:

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kostattoo View Post
    Generaly speaking minimum frames will depend on your cpu not gpu unless you have a 10year old gpu.

Have a look at the following, for 1080p (for 1440p the dif seems higher) that Nvidia is running better on blizzard games than amd. A gtx770 beats a R9 290X easily:

I've stated above, as did the other guy, normally it is indeed the CPU, but an nVidia card is better no matter how you put it both in min and max fps.

Barring that ... I cannot see your picture.

Deleted
    The level of amd fanboyism in this thread is sickening.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've stated above, as did the other guy, normally it is indeed the CPU, but an nVidia card is better no matter how you put it both in min and max fps.
    Both min and max? Don't they call that average? In my opinion the 99th percentile is most important and what causes stutters in games. Basically the time it takes for a video card to render a frame, so the lower the better. TechReport is known for this and called out AMD when they noticed really bad micro stutters in their games. But AMD has since fixed it and is doing pretty good in that area. According to this benchmark the 290 and 280x do pretty good in that department in FarCry 4. Same goes for DOTA2, Civilization, and Alien Isolation. Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel clearly hates AMD but that's because it's a Gameworks game.

Not saying that the 970 and 960 didn't do extremely well in those benchmarks, but notice how many cards do higher average frame rates over the 960 but had much higher 99th percentile. But consistently the 280x and 290 outperform the 960 in both percentile and average frame rate. For MMO's though it makes little to no difference what GPU brand you buy. Does WoW like Nvidia? Yes, but you won't get a nigher frame rate over AMD where it counts, in raids. Cause running around the world getting 144 fps is pointless. Unless Nvidia steps in to Gameworks the hell out of WoW, it makes no difference. If they do, people who raid on AMD will rage quit and cancel subscriptions.

Deleted
    Dunno what went wrong with image, anyway will post the whole page and you can have a look at it: WoW- Warlords of Draenor Benchmark.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    Both min and max? Don't they call that average? In my opinion the 99th percentile is most important and what causes stutters in games. Basically the time it takes for a video card to render a frame, so the lower the better. TechReport is known for this and called out AMD when they noticed really bad micro stutters in their games. But AMD has since fixed it and is doing pretty good in that area. According to this benchmark the 290 and 280x do pretty good in that department in FarCry 4. Same goes for DOTA2, Civilization, and Alien Isolation. Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel clearly hates AMD but that's because it's a Gameworks game.

Not saying that the 970 and 960 didn't do extremely well in those benchmarks, but notice how many cards do higher average frame rates over the 960 but had much higher 99th percentile. But consistently the 280x and 290 outperform the 960 in both percentile and average frame rate. For MMO's though it makes little to no difference what GPU brand you buy. Does WoW like Nvidia? Yes, but you won't get a nigher frame rate over AMD where it counts, in raids. Cause running around the world getting 144 fps is pointless. Unless Nvidia steps in to Gameworks the hell out of WoW, it makes no difference. If they do, people who raid on AMD will rage quit and cancel subscriptions.
    The higher frame rate is really irrelevant and I was only talking about WoW, I stated this in the very beginning that if it's JUST WoW the nVidia card is better.
    That is a fact in both min and max framerate, the average is mostly irrelevant for a couple generation of cards now.

Please actually READ what is being posted... WTF.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kostattoo View Post
    Dunno what went wrong with image, anyway will post the whole page and you can have a look at it: WoW- Warlords of Draenor Benchmark.
    Even though I'm Dutch and I don't use webpage translates I cannot read German properly and it annoys me as well.
    I have not however seen any other FPS list other than CPU cores with a GTX 970 .. no other cards I see.

The R9 380 is the better card out of the two.

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    Keep in mind that the Radeon 380 is just a rebranded 280.

I suggest doing research based on your needs. If you are just worried about WoW, any decent card will power a standard monitor (1920x1080) just fine.

If you are looking to do more or powering a better monitor, there are some great sites that do solid reviews. I recommend starting here - http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...view,3107.html