Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sad View Post
    $0.57x30 = $17,1 ! Not the same heh.
    Heh, I don't know why I was multiplying by 2.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by zealo View Post
    Sounds like a good way to get scurvy.
    Lime!

'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Might be going to the store to count the slices of bread in a loaf, but the 100 buck food budget is coming.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vermicious View Post
    It's funny how many people give a set amount, and then state you're horrible with money if you can't live on that, and yet they don't bother giving any location information.

It's totally dependent on your area, AND what you consider 'well off'. Some people like better things, others really don't care for fancy stuff and expensive cars.
    Yeah, I find it amusing that people say I must be horrible with money because of the relatively little excess income I have after expenses compared to someone who spends less but makes half as much money as I do.

You're only horrible with your money if you're living outside your means. If someone making $30k/year can save $200/month, that doesn't necessarily mean that someone making $80k/year should be saving $4,300/month. If you have more income, it's OK to have more things you spend it on too.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    Might be going to the store to count the slices of bread in a loaf, but the 100 buck food budget is coming.
    You could always bake your own bread and then slice it however you want. Yeast, flour, salt, baking soda, sugar are pretty cheap.

50k is well off. I live in a rural area, work a Master's level job and make 35k. If I made 100k holy crap I'd live in a mansion around here; that's a salary I will never ever reach. If I can finish a PhD I'll be able to pull 50k for sure and be good with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    Yeah, I find it amusing that people say I must be horrible with money because of the relatively little excess income I have after expenses compared to someone who spends less but makes half as much money as I do.

You're only horrible with your money if you're living outside your means. If someone making $30k/year can save $200/month, that doesn't necessarily mean that someone making $80k/year should be saving $4,300/month. If you have more income, it's OK to have more things you spend it on too.

- - - Updated - - -

You could always bake your own bread and then slice it however you want. Yeast, flour, salt, baking soda, sugar are pretty cheap.
    There are more quality and time issues with baking your own bread. If your at the grocery store anyway might as well buy depending on the price.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deuse View Post
    50k is well off. I live in a rural area, work a Master's level job and make 35k. If I made 100k holy crap I'd live in a mansion around here; that's a salary I will never ever reach. If I can finish a PhD I'll be able to pull 50k for sure and be good with that.
    You have a Master's Degree and only make $35,000? That seems awful low - are you a teacher?
    “You're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it.”― Malcolm X

I watch them fight and die in the name of freedom. They speak of liberty and justice, but for whom? -Ratonhnhaké:ton (Connor Kenway)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Deuse View Post
    Where do you live and what do you do, if I may ask ?

Time and energy, however, are all we really have in life.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    Here we go, I'm going straight off one of my distributors.

Potatoes, White Size A, Carton (50 Lb.), 12.95-16.00
    Greens, Collards, Bushel Carton/Loose (24s), 10.00-14.00
    Onions, White, Sack (25 Lb.), 19.00-20.00
    Bacon, Hickory smoked, Package (5 Lb.) 20-25.

...And I have 25 dollars left for any seasonings or whatever else goes in the recipe. Didn't even look up butter or cream to do things with the potatoes.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

You really need to be more specific in terms of "family or individual" and location.

Being in DC at around ~50k I'm comfortable, but nowhere near "well off". THE RENT IS TOO DAMNED HIGH

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    Time and energy, however, are all we really have in life.
    Eh, some people like baking. Besides, it's not like baking bread at home wasn't the norm 80 years ago anyway.

Ramen Noodles, $0.19 per package, 3 packages a day, $0.57 per day, $11.40 per month! Woot!

Obviously I wouldn't suggest that to anyone, but I have honestly done a $2 per meal ($6/day) diet before to save money. I lost a shit ton of weight, but even that was $180/month.
    600 kcal per day? What did you look like?

Quote Originally Posted by bolly View Post
    600 kcal per day? What did you look like?
    Try splurging and eating 2 packs of ramen together.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    Budget this out for me. I'm interested. $100, 30 day meal plan. Go.
    Not sure about all the prices in US, but let me try to do a week

1 whole chicken around 1.2-1.5 kg is 6 portions with bones left to make broth. That's 10 bucks in US ? Frozen vegetables mix + rice let's say another $10. Thats 3 lunches and 3 dinners. $20 spent. 1 kg of pork shoulder should be enough for 4 meals, served either with potatoes or dark bread ... another 20 bucks. That's 5 lunches and 5 dinners. 40 bucks down. Some frozen fish for lunch and dinner on the 6th day, let's say another 15 bucks with some side dishes. We are at 55 bucks, no meat on the 7th day so do some fruits with joghurt or sandwitches with cheese and fruits or veggies. Another 15 bucks to be generous. That's 70 bucks for 7 lunches and 7 dinners. What's left are 7 breakfasts ... buy some great grains cereal and 2 liters of milk ... around 10 bucks ? There you go. 7 day menu for 80 bucks. 20 bucks to spare.

Don't think you can do a month on 100 bucks.
    Last edited by Repefe; 2015-07-02 at 04:36 PM.

My part in this story has been decided. And I will play it well.

10+ Year Old Account
    27k us$ (south africa cost of living) is pretty comfortable.
    1 car, 1 house (3 bedroom, 2 bathroom, 2 garage, 1 kitchen, 1 living room) and ofc a nice computer for gaming and a nice tv for series.

Depends on where you live.

As a single person living in the US, I live comfortably for 50k a year.. I live in NYC area, and I pay all of my own bills, and luxuries. I also live by myself, and although I don't make as much as I would like. I can still do anything I want to.

Quote Originally Posted by Interception View Post
    You have a Master's Degree and only make $35,000? That seems awful low - are you a teacher?
    Ding! Ding! Ding! Education doesn't pay worth a crap =/

Deleted
    I don't know too much about the buying power of US currency but I'd say that 100k/year is more than enough to have a comfortable life without having to worry too much about the economic bit. It's not rich by any stretch of the imagination but it takes you well above the average persons quality of life. And if you're above average then you're well off.

Quote Originally Posted by Buljo View Post
    I don't know too much about the buying power of US currency but I'd say that 100k/year is more than enough to have a comfortable life without having to worry too much about the economic bit. It's not rich by any stretch of the imagination but it takes you well above the average persons quality of life. And if you're above average then you're well off.
    Its retarded give someone more money and they will immediately increase their spending and state that they require all of the things they now spend on. Earn £30k live in a nice cottage outside the city and commute in. Earn 60k and move into a town house. Earn £100 have a large detached house in a suburb. Pay all the property taxes and utilities. Upgrade the car. THe more money a person has the more they will spend and convince themselves they couldn't survive on less.

I think it all sits on ones perception of "average". If we look at humanity as a whole, pretty much anyone who owns a computer of their own is doing "above average" but they probably don't conisder themselves "well off"
    Last edited by AeneasBK; 2015-07-03 at 07:12 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

It depends on where they live, and how many people they're supporting (or, being supported by).

If middle class I would think between 50k and 250k per year depending on where you live and what side of middle class you are. Over 250 and you enter the rich category in my opinion.