Deleted

One of the Most Important Tools in Science Now Fits Inside Your Phone: Spectrometer

Source: http://www.popularmechanics.com/scie...-spectrometer/
    Link: http://nature.com/articles/doi:10.1038/nature14576 (A colloidal quantum dot spectrometer)

We use them to spy on exoplanets, diagnose skin-cancer, and ID the makeup of unknown chemicals. They're on NASA spacecraft flying around Saturn's moons right now. Yes, right alongside the microscope, the optical spectrometer—an instrument that breaks down the light that something reflects or emits, telling you what its made of—is one of the most ubiquitous tools in all of science. Today, Jie Bao, a physicist at Tsinghua University in Beijing, China, has just discovered a fascinating way to make them smaller, lighter, and less expensive than we ever thought possible.

By using tiny amounts of strange, light-sensitive inks, Bao and his colleague Moungi Bawendi—a chemist at MIT—have designed a working spectrometer that's small enough to fit on your smartphone. Because of the tool's simple design and its need for only an incredibly small amount of the inks, Bao says, his spectrometer only requires a few dollars worth of materials to make. They report the research today in the journal Nature.

"Of course we still have a lot of room for improvement. But performance-wise, even at this preliminary stage, our spectrometer works very close to what's currently being sold in the market," Bao says. "I think that's one of the most attractive results of our research: [This spectrometer] is already so close to a real product."

The way spectrometers work goes back to the 17th century, when Issac Newton showed that a prism could break up white light into distinct bars (technically wavelengths) of different colored light. Depending on the source of the light—say, a candle or the sun—that rainbow spectrum would change. Today, we know this happens because the atomic or molecular makeup of everything that either gives off or reflects light leaves an indelible fingerprint. And if you understand which materials leave which fingerprints, you can use light alone to find out what something is made of.

Bao says most modern spectrometers are made in more or less the same way. They diffract incoming light, then push it through a mechanically movable slit to see which exactly which wavelengths of light fit through which slits. This setup, because it involves complex moving pieces, is a total pain to shrink down in size. It's expensive, too, because accurate spectrometers require high-precision components and delicate alignment.

But Bao's spectrometer works in a much simpler way. As if making micro-sized stained glass windows, Bao prints a tiny grid of 195 different-colored liquid inks directly onto a flat sensor. (That sensor, called a CCD sensor, is what your phone's camera uses to pick up light.) Each of the 195 windows is made of a material called colloidal quantum dots, and each "absorbs certain wavelengths of light, and lets others go," says Bao. When light hits each window and travels through, the underlying sensor records how the light changed. Later, a computer can compare the data from all of the windows and reconstruct what wavelengths made up the original light.

Right now, Bao's spectrometer is about the size of a quarter, and he says the underlying CCD sensors he uses can be bought online for less than a dollar a pop. Because he's using just a tiny drop of each of the colloidal quantum dot inks (which have only recently been developed) the cost all 195 drops is only on the order of a few dollars.

Because spectrometers are so widely used in science, Bao sees a rainbow of possible uses for his new device. For one, he says, his spectrometers could be easily integrated into commercial smartwatches and phones, allowing everyday people to do things like self-identify skin cancer. "That's what I'm really hoping for, seeing them in cellphones in the very near future," he says.

I'd like a PKE Meter and mini proton accelerator.
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    ==================================
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.
    ==================================

10+ Year Old Account
    Best use for these (hand held light spectrometers) I've seen is identifying medication. You can run it against a pill and determine what it is.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

Blackwing Heroine BlackwingHecate's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Uncommon Premium
    So, basically, we can combine our communicators with our tricorders?
    Nostalgia is the hollow remnants of memories long gone.

-Kaito Kumon (Kamen Rider Baron)

Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    Best use for these (hand held light spectrometers) I've seen is identifying medication. You can run it against a pill and determine what it is.
    Holy crap! I just thought of an ap for drug dealers! Now to come up with a name...

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

This would make running flame tests so much more meaningful for my students.
    Let Reason Prevail

15+ Year Old Account
    Ooh, that's really cool. Could potentially be sold as a phone accessory with apps for it, could do lots of interesting and helpful stuff.

- - - Updated - - -

Could potentially use it to check for pesticide on your food, too.

How many of you are jumping on an app in anticipation of integration of this device?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bolly View Post
    How many of you are jumping on an app in anticipation of integration of this device?
    There are already many apps, small (lighter size) external blu-tooth units have been around for awhile.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

There are already many apps, small (lighter size) external blu-tooth units have been around for awhile.
    Yeah, I've seen them. This obviously changes overhead costs if actually implemented thus opening the market of potential consumers.