Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Spriest 6.2 - OP as hell?

Really, didn't see any significant buffs in patch notes, but since the patch SPs do insane damage in BGs and Arenas, which even DKs and Fury Warriors cannot compete with.

What's the issue here? Scaling? Gear? Anything else? I look at every BG / Arena chart and see SP topping damage meters every single time, ahead of all classes by mile, sometimes by 2-3 million DPS.

It's important to remember that SP is after all a hybrid spec which can heal and on top has a lot of CC, Mass Dispel and Vanish on demand.

Class with so much CC, utility and healing potential should not have best damage in PvP.
    Last edited by Ermelloth; 2015-07-02 at 07:43 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Agraynel View Post
    Really, didn't see any significant buffs in patch notes, but since the patch SPs do insane damage in BGs and Arenas, which even DKs and Fury Warriors cannot compete with.

What's the issue here? Scaling? Gear? Anything else? I look at every BG / Arena chart and see SP topping damage meters every single time, ahead of all classes by mile, sometimes by 2-3 million DPS.

It's important to remember that SP is after all a hybrid spec which can heal and on top has a lot of CC, Mass Dispel and Vanish on demand.

Class with so much CC, utility and healing potential should not have best damage in PvP.
    Relax, it's easy to top damage in random bgs if people let you free cast.
    You don't have to worry about spriests being highly represented in top tier arena, you won't be seeing pvp guilds "LFM RBG team, need spriest".
    So, if you let the spriest walk around alone in a random battleground and cast his spells and the damage show up, is that too bad? He has nothing else really

Hint: melees can train spriests, they usually die... quite fast, has been the way to deal with spriests since the day they were born (almost)
    Last edited by mmocb8e9590de3; 2015-07-02 at 09:11 PM.

Spriest got more nerfs than buffs in 6.2. They did the same amount in damage in 6.x.

Spreading DoTs gets you on the top half of the meters. Same with aff warlocks. I don't get why you seem so shocked about this? I see nothing wrong with it. When it comes to single target damage, a spriest does not even come close to the classes you mention.

Horror, Fear on a 30s CD, and a silence which can be dispelled(or trinketed/stoneform).. and occaisonal 3 second root from a mind blast crit if you glyph it. This is the first time anyone complained or mentioned that SP has "a lot of CC" . Honestly I have no gripe about spriests, as they are weak against most classes and the only comp they are good with is god comp with a hpally. Other than that they are not an issue what so ever.

Damage is fine. Other classes have more burst - look at rogues hitting 120k+ DFA or Boomies hitting 130k starsurge and starfire crits, mages getting 90k ice nova crits, ferals getting 85k ferocious bite crits.. all of which happens all the time.. the list goes on.

Comparing random bg damage to how a class is literally means nothing. Every class can top bgs.

Yva Edit: Glyph of Mind Blast is a 99% snare, not a stun.
    Last edited by Yvaelle; 2015-07-02 at 11:05 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    DoTcleave and Cascade in random BGs makes us a real contender for top damage.

In an RBG or Arena though we're almost always the priority target just because we wear cloth, have no teleports, and our only damage reduction cooldown is 6 seconds every 2 minutes: plus any lockout on us locks out ~all our damage and CC, so it's super effective.

That's why our only real 3's comp is Frost Mage + Resto Druid + Shadowpriest: the mage/druid are just there to spam roots so we can run away, anything less than two dedicated root-spammers and we die.
    Youtube ~ Yvaelle ~ Twitter

Shadow is fine damage and cc wise (unless you read the herp derp thread about psychic horror on arena junkies).

Deleted
    Spriest OP? Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha. Good one, dude. What, next, elemental shamans OP?!

Spriests are a joke at pvp. Maybe not a joke at meters but a joke in 1v1s and 2s, and in 3s they got like 1 comp that works. Nerf those fucking spriests.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yet they counter my spec (Ret). And when these guys start to dominate in anything and top damage charts, it does concern me.

P.S. I didn't mean their DoT damage - I meant their insane burst, when they use mind spike etc and you lose your HP in super quick way. Too quick. Our Ret burst is insane too, but it's once in 2 minutes, but SP can do that kind of damage much more often.

Last BGs I played SP had a score of 11 mil. damage, ahead of two fully geared DKs and affliction Lock. Their DoTs got buffed, but they don't do remotely so much DPS as SPs seem to do now.
    Last edited by Ermelloth; 2015-07-03 at 01:16 PM.

Deleted
    Yet they counter my spec (Ret). And when these guys start to dominate in anything and top damage charts, it does concern me.

P.S. I didn't mean their DoT damage - I meant their insane burst, when they use mind spike etc and you lose your HP in super quick way. Too quick. Our Ret burst is insane too, but it's once in 2 minutes, but SP can do that kind of damage much more often.

Last BGs I played SP had a score of 11 mil. damage, ahead of two fully geared DKs and affliction Lock. Their DoTs got buffed, but they don't do remotely so much DPS as SPs seem to do now.
    When they start dominating they'll be nerfed to shit again. Spriests were always shit at pvp just like shamans, only time they were really good was in the cata pre-patch when spell damage was through the roof, and then they were shit again in cata.

Quote Originally Posted by Yvaelle View Post
    DoTcleave and Cascade in random BGs makes us a real contender for top damage.

In an RBG or Arena though we're almost always the priority target just because we wear cloth, have no teleports, and our only damage reduction cooldown is 6 seconds every 2 minutes: plus any lockout on us locks out ~all our damage and CC, so it's super effective.

That's why our only real 3's comp is Frost Mage + Resto Druid + Shadowpriest: the mage/druid are just there to spam roots so we can run away, anything less than two dedicated root-spammers and we die.
    So... Exactly like an afflock except youndo 3x the damage. Must be nice.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post
    So... Exactly like an afflock except youndo 3x the damage. Must be nice.
    Locks are lot tankier than shadow priests. The shield is a joke and dispelable, fear has a pretty long cd and is not spammable, and the only real def cd they got is dispersion, then they die. Can't even heal because it drops shadow form and heals for nothing.

they can counter hunters, too.......those shadows are victims to melees but can counter some stuff......not that bad, however they got a big nerf in 6.2 on their burst. Shadow is only dangerous if he can freecast. i play currently dk as usual and spriest and spriest was always good in bgs like the dk too, but i would rather visit the arena with the dk who is not that excellent either there, but, at least a melee.....and i prefere melee in arenas.

and while you stated the spriest is a hybrid class that sounds nice on paper, but i bet of all hybrid classes the shadow got the worst offheal. The heals are low and need to be casted, whle its clear you are always nr1 focus target.(except in bgs/rbgs perhaps)

i'd say op is right on the scaling of the new gear that makes them appear to do more dmg, but look at the patch notes.....very depressing. they got a nerf in their dmg and no buffs.
    Last edited by Tyrannica; 2015-07-03 at 11:03 PM.

Laughed out loud at this title. Not even close buddy.
    Owner of ONEAzerothTV
    Tanking, Blood DK Mythic+ Pugging, Soloing and WoW Challenges alongside other discussions about all things in World of Warcraft
    ONEAzerothTV

Agra, they destroyed rets in 6.1 too, hell all xpac. Why now are you making a thread about it? Any fully geared spriest spreading dots tops meters, from my xp. They are a counter to rets (Im ret, not sassing you) so me thinks you just got trampled in a bg a few times facing decent priests. Honestly any priest counters a ret. It sucks but it is what it is

Yeah it is scaling mostly.

Deleted
    No really they are not op. You can get some mad damage from one if you handle it right, but you need to spend far too much time on surviving and it won't work out for you if you play horde random bgs as alliance players usually know enough to target you and murder you first (your an easy kill). If your an ally preist who just queued into a green geared lol horde pug with an outland arena team on your side, then yeah your gonna have a good time, be healed and peeled for, but that applies to any class really.

If its really bothering you that your not sure what your doing facing one then I would advise you to make one, gear it up in honor gear then attack/dual your class (in this case ret) with it. Watch how your priest is beaten and what the rets do to it then go back to your ret and go attack preists. the preists will then teach you the counters to the ret then you go back to your preist and practise again. It takes time and effort, but its rewarding. I give as an example I beat 95% of hunters on my warrior and 95% of warriors on my hunter (1v1). The guys who do beat me are beating me not my char, they are simply better at gaming then I am.

10+ Year Old Account
    Honestly any priest counters a ret. It sucks but it is what it is
    Actually 1 on 1 with all CDs up (didn't use Lay on Hands) I beat most of them. Just yesterday smashed a 2k rated Spriest in Tanaan who attacked me first. When it's 1 vs 2 though and one of the enemies is Spriest, it's different - then it's not possible to survive both of them.

Post was about damage in BGs and meters, really, not 1vs1.

The only reason Spriest's dominate BG damage is Cascade. It can do anywhere from 25%-50% of a Spriest's damage(the worse they are, the higher that % will be). Our DoTs are amongst the weakest in the game and it's better damage simply to dot up off targets with VT and Mind Spike/MB/DP your kill target.

Spriest/Mage/H Pally is actually the superior comp these days, and they can also play with a Feral. There's also some murmur to Spriest/Lock/healer coming back this season as well but we'll see how things pan out.

Also, how does a Spriest counter Ret? Or any melee at all for that matter? Pop wings, trinket fear, force disperse, keep them slowed with judgement glyph, Divine Protection for DP, if you get in trouble and pop bubble and kick/HoJ Mass Dispel and you win. It's literally that simple. There's no melee in the game that should lose to Shadow.

Just got to LOL @ the OP.

Since when is topping the damage meter considered OP as hell? Doesn't make sense to nerf on this basis. A class other than a DK and fury warrior tops the damage meter in a BG, lets nerf them.