Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

Myth and Misconception

If anyone has some myths and misconceptions to clear up about anything even remotely interesting, I'm keen on reading on it.

I'll start with one: "Fans cool a room."

It should be rather obvious that a fan does not cool a room. It may have a chilling effect on a person, but room temperature does not change. However, it can help distribute air around in case there is a window open, for instance, and that way help with the cooling process. Moreover, because of the motor inside, it can actually generate heat, although it would probably not be felt.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirkzat View Post
    If anyone has some myths and misconceptions to clear up about anything even remotely interesting, I'm keen on reading on it.

I'll start with one: "Fans cool a room."

It should be rather obvious that a fan does not cool a room. It may have a chilling effect on a person, but room temperature does not change. However, it can help distribute air around in case there is a window open, for instance, and that way help with the cooling process. Moreover, because of the motor inside, it can actually generate heat, although it would probably not be felt.
    If you have a sealed room then sure... If there is any airflow at all it does cool a room.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    If you have a sealed room then sure... If there is any airflow at all it does cool a room.
    That's what I said.

Deleted
    Neuromyths Neuromyths Neuromyths Neuromyths Neuromyths Neuromyths Neuromyths Neuromyths Neuromyths Neuromyths Neuromyths Neuromyths Neuromyths Neuromyths Neuromyths Neuromyths Neuromyths Neuromyths Neuromyths Neuromyths

... and did i mention NEUROMYTHS! It's quite shocking how often I have to "educate" fellow educators ...

7 Common Neuromyths That Many Educators Believe

http://www.spring.org.uk/2014/10/7-c...rs-believe.php

I've never heard anyone saying "fans cool the room", they cool the people inside with the windchill effect...

Deleted
    That autism causes vaccination.

Even if the rates correlate no it does not happen.

Deleted
    That vaccination causes autism ...

Here's another correlation:

Last edited by mmoc9309e745e1; 2015-07-07 at 05:53 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's what I said.
    Such thoroughgoing is rather silly. "A fan doesn't cool a room, the cool air a fan moves cools the room."

The sun doesn't heat the Earth, radiation released by the sun heats the Earth. A refrigerator doesn't cool your food, the liquid coolant inside a refrigerator cools your food.

Deleted
    Myth related to a video game: Niko Bellic from GTA IV is Russian.

He is not. The accent sounds Russian because he speaks a Slavic language; but, it is Serbian. In the very beginning of the game, his cousin mentions that his English is better than his Serbian. Moreover, when he communicates in his native tongue, it is clearly a Serbian-Bosnian-Croatian language. So, his ethnicity is Serb. As for his nationality, since Yugoslavia was disbanded in its complete form and he was in a war in the mid 90's, he may be a Serb from either Bosnia or Croatia, or a Serbian who was sent to either of those two countries to fight in war.

- - - Updated - - -

Such thoroughgoing is rather silly. "A fan doesn't cool a room, the cool air a fan moves cools the room."
    I'll put it differently: it doesn't cool the air. Whether or not a room is cooled depends on the potential for airflow.

The sun doesn't heat the Earth, radiation released by the sun heats the Earth. A refrigerator doesn't cool your food, the liquid coolant inside a refrigerator cools your food.
    Poor analogies, but okay.

Deleted
    Myth: "You'll get sick with the flu if you don't wear a hat or if your clothes are wet."
    Reality: The flu virus doesn't care about your wetness or temperature, nor does it suddenly spontaneously appear in your system.

Myth: Humans use only 10% of their brains.
    Myth 2: If humans were to use 100% of their brains, they'd develop telekinesis and telepathy and godlike powers.
    Reality: Humans use most of their brains most of the time, and telekinesis/telepathy and other such things don't exist.

Myth: If you do sit-ups, you'll get rid of your stomach fat.
    Reality: Humans burn fat equally from all over their body, so, no.

Deleted
    Starvation mode when you eat little calories, there is some truth to it, but it doesn't count for obese people.

The yoyo effect if you loose weight too fast being anything other than you not being able to control yourself.

That ketogenic diets cause ketoacedosis.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    Myth: If you do sit-ups, you'll get rid of your stomach fat.
    Reality: Humans burn fat equally from all over their body, so, no.
    I remember watching all those commercials with staged audiences and whatnot, and there used to be this product that one could put on the stomach to get abs and burn fat in the area through vibration. So stupid. I wonder if those are still on TV.

10+ Year Old Account
    Myth related to a video game: Niko Bellic from GTA IV is Russian.

He is not. The accent sounds Russian because he speaks a Slavic language; but, it is Serbian. In the very beginning of the game, his cousin mentions that his English is better than his Serbian. Moreover, when he communicates in his native tongue, it is clearly a Serbian-Bosnian-Croatian language. So, his ethnicity is Serb. As for his nationality, since Yugoslavia was disbanded in its complete form and he was in a war in the mid 90's, he may be a Serb from either Bosnia or Croatia, or a Serbian who was sent to either of those two countries to fight in war.

- - - Updated - - -

I'll put it differently: it doesn't cool the air. Whether or not a room is cooled depends on the potential for airflow.

Poor analogies, but okay.
    Cyberstalker petty argument mode engaged.

This "myth" is equally silly. No one assumes Niko is Russian. He literally talks about the old country and fighting in the Kosovo War like right at the beginning of the game and later even outright says he is from Serbia. The main antagonist of the game is "The Russian" lol, why would one Russian refer to another Russian as "The Russian...?"

Deleted
    Cyberstalker petty argument mode engaged.

This "myth" is equally silly. No one assumes Niko is Russian. He literally talks about the old country and fighting in the Kosovo War like right at the beginning of the game and later even outright says he is from Serbia. The main antagonist of the game is "The Russian" lol, why would one Russian refer to another Russian as "The Russian...?"
    I really feel sorry for you. There are a lot of people who have the misconception, and I've read many comments on the web trying to explain (erroneously) where he is from. So, it is as it is. As for the Kosovo War, exactly where is that referenced?

Myth: Humans only have 5 senses. taste, hearing, touch, smell, sight.

Reality:
    Depening on what you count as a sense we have between 10 and 24 senses.
    some of wich are:
    balance and acceleration, temperature, kinesthetic sense, pain, time.

Deleted
    Myth: Spinach is a great source of iron!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...mal-point.html

10+ Year Old Account
    Myth

Any fucking moron on the interweb can make a top 10 on fucking YouTube and people will believe it and then go around acting all superior and shit as if nobody else ever watched Buzzfeed or any of the other "Did you know" videos on YouTube.

Here is one Did you know 90% of the bullshit you hear on the interweb is bullshit and typically 3rd hand, and 4th hand information typically cherry picked!
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

10+ Year Old Account
    Leftcoast 2 blocks from the beach, down the street from a green haze called Venice.
    Being Transgender doesn't make you gay.

Gender Identity is not the same as sexual attraction.

A person can be born Gay and have the Opposite Gender identity, in this case when they transition they usually become attracted to people of the Gender they have become. ie Loren Cameron, born Female, liked women, became a man, dates men.

However it is just as likely that if you are born one thing and attracted to something that the attraction doesn't change over the transition. ie Chaz Bono. started out as a Lesbian transitioned still dates women.

(yes using Transmen as examples on purpose, causes less of an ew factor with religious people for some reason)

I've never heard of the "fans make a room cooler" argument. I've heard "fans make YOU cooler" but that's it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Myth: Laying ice cubes on the ground before calling a wild tiger at the zoo, will not freeze the tiger so you can tame it with snacks!
    Myth: Priest can't rez you on Citi Bank Raids, and you can only wipe once, after that is a 15 to 30 year cool down.
    Last edited by Doctor Amadeus; 2015-07-07 at 07:04 AM.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis