Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Tank spec for beginner?

Hey, I want to tank PvE and take a break with PvP for a while, get my legendary ring etc, but which tank's are good atm?
    Haven't tanked since Cata and I mostly play my hunter/mage, therefor I'm asking

The classes I have atm with tank specs:
    DK
    Warr
    Druid

Thanks in advance

While itd be generally agreed that Druid is the best tank you have, it's not too relevant unless you're running mythic and even there Ll tank specs have killed he first few bosses, I believe. The real answer is play what you enjoy the most.
    Brewmaster Icy-Veins Guide Writer

Deleted
    From my view with those 3, I'd pick DK.

I've got all tank classes at 100, and I tend to be the most comfortably with the dk.

Purely based on the ease of rotation/priority, cool downs available, and what healers tell me

Deleted
    Brewmaster Monk.

I love being a brewmaster. without set bonuses we are a bit squishy at the moment, but as long as you smash all your mitigation effectively and healers can keep up its fun. lots of buttons to smash, but theres not a crazy rotation, its pretty much knowing fights and preparing accordingly with your mitigation and building chi and keeping guard and shuffle up.

plus out in world pve, basically nothing can kill you ever. so dealing with tanaan has been a breeze

Brewmaster all the way .

I got all tanks at 100 and Warrior is easily the one i enjoy most (got 3 lvl 100 prot specced warriors) and with the new mastery changes to glad stance it makes dailies a walk in the park.

Quote Originally Posted by flichenstein View Post
    Hey, I want to tank PvE and take a break with PvP for a while, get my legendary ring etc, but which tank's are good atm?
    Haven't tanked since Cata and I mostly play my hunter/mage, therefor I'm asking

The classes I have atm with tank specs:
    DK
    Warr
    Druid

Thanks in advance

Out of the classes you have I would go Warrior or DK.
    You'll probably be able to perform better quickly on a warrior vs someone who starts on a blood DK and just mashes Death Strike off cool down - which will work if you're only doing LFR and monitoring runes isn't really going to matter.

The DK would be the stronger or the 2 though, but as I said it comes with a higher skill cap, kinda the same as a Brewmaster monk to be a decent one and not get mashed (imo).

And I don't know anything about druids cause I've never liked them as tanks.

7+ Year Old Account
    Stay away from brewmaster and DK untill you feel more comfortable with tanking, why anyone would suggest either of those as a beginner tank is beyond me. Out of the 3 classes you have available at the moment, i'd say druid would be a good start.

Warrior and druid are easier and more forgiving. Having a big heal on the druid as part of the toolkit makes it easier to catch up if you make a mistake, so I'd say that's the best for a beginner. Either of those three you listed is good enough to use in any difficulty of content right now.

Out of those 3 classes you have I'd say Warrior, I like the mobility you have with them and are very spammy in a sense. I always saw the Druid like a watered down warrior and I am not really fond of the DK play style. Brewmasters are a lot of fun as well but they have more things going with their kit, you might want to stay away from it for now.
    Last edited by Dezx; 2015-07-05 at 04:16 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Speshil View Post
    DK and Warrior, have nice Mechanics that increase Tanking Power while low HP automatically, while Druid has some false friends such as Ysera's gift which heals less than the tooltip says or Treants that sound awesome but Bosses are immune to them.

Monk you are right but DK has this:
    http://www.wowhead.com/spell=81164/w...the-necropolis
    That makes DKs tanky for beginners even if they mess up their resource management.
    DK is still a very reactive tank and you can easily die very quickly if you mess up, hence why it is not a good beginner tank. Granted, this wouldn't matter so much depending on which difficulty OP aims at.

As a beginner you should probably choose warrior, its the simplest of all tank classes.

10+ Year Old Account
    take one with a shield in their hand, they are rather easy

no idea why people say dk or brm for beginner
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Crabs have been removed from the game... because if I see another one I’m just going to totally lose it. *sobbing* I’m sorry, I just can’t right now... I just... OK just give me a minute, I’ll be OK..

Warrior, easily.

Deleted
    i'd say warrior is the easiest, your mitigation and cds are really straight forward, your priorities too, guardians have way more management and complicated mechanics, dk could be a good one too, it's quite easy to play on easy content

Every tank class is "good" atm. But for one with little practice at tanking, I suggest warrior. Active mitigation is straight forward but still solid.
    This means, if you die, you can blame the healers most of the time

If the spammy playstyle gets to boring, try DK. Much more versatile but you can easily fuck up and die in an instant. Feral is somewhere in between I'd say.

10+ Year Old Account
    For transitioning from dps to tank, Blood DK is my recommendation. For me personally, it feels like a dps-er that holds aggro. DK is a solid tank for most fights, with plenty of cooldowns to use and some good raid utility in Death Grip and Gorefiend's Grasp. Your weakness in choosing this, especially when compared to a warrior or druid, is mobility. DKs don't have a lot of good mobility options - they mostly rely on bringing the mobs to them. Warriors and druids, on the other hand, are charging and leaping all over the place and throwing out stampeding roars for even more speed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ehrenpanzer View Post
    Disclaimer: *Soon* is a registered trademark of Blizzard Entertainment. *Soon* may not actually occur soon. *Soon* will occur sometime between right now and the heat death of the universe...probably... We COULD make *Soon* occur sooner, but it would cost you a raid tier.

It probably feels weird to be melee all of a sudden :P Warrior has really nice mobility for moving around as I imagine you'd be more accustomed to having and honestly a great beginner tank. It's got what you expect to see in a tank. DK has much less mobility skills and you'd need some profession items to help with that and Druid is in between. They all have relatively good self heals though.

Quote Originally Posted by Ornerybear View Post
    I love being a brewmaster. without set bonuses we are a bit squishy at the moment, but as long as you smash all your mitigation effectively and healers can keep up its fun. lots of buttons to smash, but theres not a crazy rotation, its pretty much knowing fights and preparing accordingly with your mitigation and building chi and keeping guard and shuffle up.

plus out in world pve, basically nothing can kill you ever. so dealing with tanaan has been a breeze
    Yeah Brewmaster has taken over from Blood where "ridiculously OP PvE solo spec" is concerned.

Blood might still be better for soloing raid bosses with a lot of mechanics, but BM self-heals and high DPS are just out of whack, in a nice way.

Quote Originally Posted by Noruego View Post
    DK is still a very reactive tank and you can easily die very quickly if you mess up, hence why it is not a good beginner tank. Granted, this wouldn't matter so much depending on which difficulty OP aims at.
    Rune Tetris is worse in this expansion. I hardly ever had situations where there was no button to push back in MoP but they made blood a lot less fun this time around, plus, healing got nerfed big time.

Quote Originally Posted by Nnyco View Post
    take one with a shield in their hand, they are rather easy

no idea why people say dk or brm for beginner
    DK's self heals used to be so strong that as long as you hit Death Strike reasonably often (whether or not you waited for more charges), the spec was pretty foolproof. Not the case this expansion.

BM has a lot of buttons to push but it's like a faster-paced Ret really. Get an addon that lights up the buttons for you like Bitten's SpellFlash. A beginner would do fine thanks to the very high self-heals and absorb.