Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    I'm not sure who elected Clarence Thomas a "representative of black people". I think Takei is off the mark here.
    While you live, shine / Have no grief at all / Life exists only for a short while / And time demands its toll.

It was an obviously racist comment at an easy target. Thomas routinely gets called an uncle tom or worse from liberal blacks. The fact non-blacks are jumping in makes it racist. They're not black and calling him a blackface clown is meant to say he's not black.

Doesn't matter if Takei is a racist. If a white guy for example said Barack Obama was a clown in blackface, he'd probably get fired from his job and shunned.

Quote Originally Posted by dd614 View Post
    It was an obviously racist comment at an easy target. Thomas routinely gets called an uncle tom or worse from liberal blacks. The fact non-blacks are jumping in makes it racist. They're not black and calling him a blackface clown is meant to say he's not black.

Doesn't matter if Takei is a racist. If a white guy for example said Barack Obama was a clown in blackface, he'd probably get fired from his job and shunned.
    It's not racist in that it doesn't serve to further the denigration of a group by race in our society. It's just the more common ignorance and lashing out in anger without thinking first.
    While you live, shine / Have no grief at all / Life exists only for a short while / And time demands its toll.

Quote Originally Posted by arandomuser View Post
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/0...n_7719110.html

"George Takei Calls Justice Clarence Thomas A 'Clown In Blackface' Over Marriage Equality Dissent"

This comment has caused conservatives who always complain about liberals getting upset over offensive comments about transgenders being outraged at his comment he made.
    Do you think people who are criticizing george takei hypocrites?
    It is the hypocrisy of the PC cult that is eliciting conservative outrage; that a liberal can be as "dog whistling" and politically incorrect as they like and it won't matter to the people who supposedly don't think political correctness is the infantile, vapid nonsense it actually is.

I like George Takei; he can say whatever inane thing he likes. No outrage at him for not being PC, outrage at the wanton ideological double standards of the PC enforcers.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumboy View Post
    So if you do not follow the democrat line perfectly and you are black you are a "race traitor" now? Is this like magic users marrying muggles in Harry Potter being "race traitors" as well?

Why do some people get to decide what an entire race believes in? Are all races just hive minds?

And those questions are not to you lol, but to takei... But I guess he probably won't read this anyway.
    Oh do some blacks believe in subservience and maintaining the institutionalized racism in the US today?
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    There is a problem, but I know just banning guns will fix the problem.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daelak View Post
    Oh do some blacks believe in subservience and maintaining the institutionalized racism in the US today?
    Are you trying to insinuate that African Americans who do not vote Democrat believe in this?
    Quote Originally Posted by Imadraenei View Post
    You can find that unbiased view somewhere between Atlantis and that unicorn farm down the street, just off Interstate √(-1).

Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    Not the first time I've heard a member of the LGBT community suggest that all black people should be pro gay because otherwise it would be like being racist against themselves or something like that.

It's a shitty false equivalent though because there's no visual indicator that somebody is gay. So it's not like black people could have just been white around racists to avoid being lynched.

That's not to say homophobes and racists aren't just as bad as one another but it was two entirely different beasts. And because it's easier to hide being gay than it is to hide being black I'm willing to bet that racism has a lot more skeletons under the floorboards.
    It doesn't seem that Takei was calling Thomas a "clown in blackface" over his position on gay marriage, but rather this quote from his dissenting opinion in Obergefell v. Hodges:

"The corollary of that principle is that human dignity cannot be taken away by the government. Slaves did not lose their dignity (any more than they lost their humanity) because the government allowed them to be enslaved. Those held in internment camps did not lose their dignity because the government confined them. And those denied governmental benefits certainly do not lose their dignity because the government denies them those benefits. The government cannot bestow dignity, and it cannot take it away."

He did point out the irony of Thomas' position - in that he is in an interracial marriage and that it was illegal in very much the same way that gay marriage was illegal until very recently.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaxi View Post
    Are you trying to insinuate that African Americans who do not vote Democrat believe in this?
    I'm clarifying to Gumboy that there are no blacks that subscribe to the notion that they are second class citizens, a point JPJ was alluding to when reciting the speech.
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    There is a problem, but I know just banning guns will fix the problem.

Deleted
    People should have free reign on whatever kind of language they use when talking about complete and utter assholes, and Clarence Thomas is one of those.

http://www.ontheissues.org/Clarence_Thomas.htm

Thomas' point is entirely valid, that (as a philosophical matter), human dignity is neither taken nor given by any act of the government -- the holding or freeing of slaves, the prohibition of recognition of a marriage; dignity is a function of one's own character and conduct under whatever burdens are tossed their way by life. And, that, as a jurisprudential matter, even if one were to contrive to reduce human dignity to something willed into or out of existence by the will of the state, there is no discrete right to "dignity" that has ever been recognized as even one of the dubious "penumbras" rights in the Constitution. Because that is not how dignity and self-respect work. I'll go one further -- anyone who thought they lacked dignity before Kennedy's opinion was published... didn't magically obtain it when he did.

Quote Originally Posted by Raffa1 View Post
    And an insult to white people like himself.
    Huh? George Takei is not white.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Geary View Post
    Huh? George Takei is not white.
    He certainly is.

http://i.huffpost.com/gen/1155638/im...K-facebook.jpg
    Here an image where he makes his famous vulcan salute as tribute to his former role as captain spock of the millenium falcon.
    Last edited by mmocebc95cf0d7; 2015-07-03 at 05:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Teeahmat View Post
    As I said, I AM NOT SAYING TAKAI IS RACIST. His comment however, was very bigoted against blacks and whites.
    I was just latching onto your sentiment - more a "forward" than a "reply". You were quite clear.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Teeahmat View Post
    I AM NOT SAYING TAKAI
    I know that people are unable to pronounce his name correctly, but I've never seen anyone type his name wrong as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Raffa1 View Post
    He certainly is.

http://i.huffpost.com/gen/1155638/im...K-facebook.jpg
    Here an image where he makes his famous vulcan salute as tribute to his former role as captain spock of the millenium falcon.
    He Japanese American. Internment camp and everything.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Read the last 6 words of what you quoted and wonder if it's worth carrying on. Hell, most of the entire line is wrong, I'm surprised he didn't call it a Klingon salute.

10+ Year Old Account
    honestly, one of the major pet peeves I have with america, is when I see people like black preachers or black law men, who speak out against civil rights for minorities, homophobic preachers and law men being one of the most recent.

A black american telling gay americans they shouldn't have the same rights as him, is one of the biggest fucking hypocrisies there is. Every black american in the past who had to fight tooth and nail to allow his race to be given the same standard of living white americans had, only for these ignorant morons to become as bad as the white men who persecuted their kind generations ago, its just disgusting they would forget, and put the forced christian religion that their ancesors were forced to conform to, ahead of social and ethical rights of other people.

martin luther king would be spinning in his grave.
    #boycottchina

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Still white.

10+ Year Old Account
    In his dissent, Thomas, who is black, wrote that...“Slaves did not lose their dignity (any more than they lost their humanity) because the government allowed them to be enslaved. Those held in internment camps did not lose their dignity because the government confined them.”
    Gonna side with Takei on this one.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Templar 331 View Post
    Gonna side with Takei on this one.
    Pretty sure Takei is more qualified to speak on dignity in internment camps that CT is anyways.

I dont really think the wording Takei chose is ok, but he said it out of anger, and CT is a dickwad where the intent of what Takei said makes sense.