Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Gay Marriage: A victory of Love? Or total misunderstanding?

The supreme court now rules that gay marriage is legal nationwide. Everywhere people are chanting "Love" prevails... etc. Frankly, to me it shows the lack of understanding.

I figured it was time to educate. I want to point out that when people chant "Love" that love is reserved for those who only agree with their point of view. Those who could possibly disagree are viewed as haters. For those who disagree it's open season to spew that same "love" (hate) towards those people. So, the idea of Love from gay right groups rings hollow to me.

Here is a statement by my church. I'm going to point out the important parts. There are many people who have deep religious convictions against the idea of gay marriage. Just because it's not a popular idea (or PC) doesn't make the opinion wrong. Are we talking about love or not? Ohh yeah... you have the right to speech from the first amendment as long as your ideas are shared by the majority. This is the point which is not understood by those who are chanting "love" implying those who disagree are hateful. And, that's the idea which is particularly disturbing.

I have a relative who's living in our basement who in fact IS GAY. Just because I disagree with that person's choice of lifestyle it doesn't mean I stop loving that person. But, I still cannot choose the path of appeasement to the point where I give up on my own beliefs.

This is the statement by my church:

The gospel of Jesus Christ teaches us to love and treat all people with kindness and civility—even when we disagree. We affirm that those who avail themselves of laws or court rulings authorizing same‐sex marriage should not be treated disrespectfully. Indeed, the Church has advocated for rights of same‐sex couples in matters of hospitalization and medical care, fair housing and employment, and probate, so long as these do not infringe on the integrity of the traditional family or the constitutional rights of churches.

"Changes in the civil law do not, indeed cannot, change the moral law that God has established... His law of chastity is clear: sexual relations are proper only between a man and a woman who are legally and lawfully wedded as husband and wife....A family built on marriage of a man and a woman is the best setting for God’s plan of happiness to thrive.

That is why communities and nations generally have encouraged and protected marriage between a man and a woman, and the family that results from their union, as privileged institutions. Sexual relations outside of such a marriage are contrary to the laws of God pertaining to morality."

http://www.mormonnewsroom.org/articl...NWS_xLIDyL2-1_

I love people who are gay. I just cannot agree with that lifestyle. There is no hate. I just simply have different beliefs. But, I cannot choose the path of appeasement either. And, that's when I'm accused by those who prefer gay marriage say I'm hateful which in fact I am not.

President Reagan talks about appeasement in this video:

https://youtu.be/EuQ-3wxPCtM
    Last edited by Galluccio; 2015-07-06 at 01:09 AM.

Marriage isn't exclusive to Christianity, deal with it. By your own logic, you should be outraged at Jewish, Islamic and agnostic/atheist marriage.

Don't like it? Don't think about it. People getting married has no effect on your person.
    Last edited by glo; 2015-07-06 at 01:10 AM.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

Quote Originally Posted by Galluccio View Post
    Changes in the civil law do not, indeed cannot, change the moral law that God has established
    If you firmly believe this, there's really no reason to oppose the change to civil law.

Sorry but your religion means ABSOLUTE DICK in a secular society like the USA. Which is why the 1st amendment is there in the first place.

Deleted
    Go to a church which does no gay marriage, marry there. Problem solved.

OP, I couldn't agree with you more. However, I hope you're ready for the flames here on MMO-c. It's either support gay rights or you're a hateful bigot or some craziness.

I have a relative who's living in our basement who in fact IS GAY. Just because I disagree with that person's choice of lifestyle it doesn't mean I stop loving that person.
    Stopped reading there. You're the one misunderstanding things if you're still thinking this is about a lifestyle choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post
    It's either support gay rights or you're a hateful bigot or some craziness.
    I don't see the problem.

President Reagan talks about appeasement in this video:
    ahahahahahahahaha

oh wait, you're serious

ahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

The idea that same sex couples marrying is somehow wrong based on your religious beliefs doesn't apply to those who do not share those beliefs. YOU are supposed to live by the rules of your faith... but others are not so bound. The "hate" is when you treat those people who do not "fit" into your faith's rules poorly. Voting to deny them the same rights you enjoy just because they don't adhere to your beliefs system is pretty much spot on "hate" in my book.

Christianity has no exclusive claim upon marriage. It existed before Christianity did and it will continue to do after the fairy tales are lain to rest. Magic apples and talking snakes have no business determining my rights nor are they an excuse for people to treat others poorly.

10+ Year Old Account
    Letting religion dictate your life and reasoning makes you close yourself of to too many things in this world and prevents you from experiencing and forming your own opinion on good or bad.

God didn't impose morals, humans did that spoke for your god, 2000 years ago which you believe blindly without question.

OP, I couldn't agree with you more. However, I hope you're ready for the flames here on MMO-c. It's either support gay rights or you're a hateful bigot or some craziness.
    If you don't support basic civil rights for everyone, then a bigot is exactly what you are.

Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    I don't see the problem.
    I see a problem when it becomes a common trend to label people who merely don't go with the flow by adopting the same opinions as the social squeaky wheels as hateful bigots that run contrary to 'progress' and 'happiness'. In a secular reality neither is right nor wrong, and both opinions are equal in value. Yet those who embrace progressiveness refuse to accept that blatant and obvious reality. It's just a battle of opinions where might makes right, majority wins and it the merits of either side don't matter.
    “Humanism means that the man is the measure of all things...But it is not only that man must start from himself in the area of knowledge and learning, but any value system must come arbitrarily from man himself by arbitrary choice.” - Francis A. Schaeffer

Not supporting equal rights due to gender, race, etc is quite literally part of the definition of a bigot. That's what you are, better start learning how to accept what you are.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

10+ Year Old Account
    The Bible and the people who blindly follow it are irrelevant in modern times. You people pick and choose what is taught from the Bible to follow as a moral code if you didn't then we would still be killing women for premarital sex and other idiotic things. You yourself and your community have changed the morals for which your "God" has laid down to adapt to society and you will continue to do this until the last dying breaths of religion.

Quote Originally Posted by Acidbaron View Post
    Letting religion dictate your life and reasoning makes you close yourself of to too many things in this world and prevents you from experiencing and forming your own opinion on good or bad.

God didn't impose morals, humans did that spoke for your god, 2000 years ago which you believe blindly without question.
    I see no difference between blindly accepting the morals of some and blindly accepting the morals of others.

"The Bible is so old, it must be wrong! You can't just believe what they tell you!"

Meanwhile 99% of all people who have progressive secular morals merely adopt them from their parents or from other people anyways, yet they act like it is somehow different and give bologna reasoning that they think matters but ultimately makes zero sense.
    “Humanism means that the man is the measure of all things...But it is not only that man must start from himself in the area of knowledge and learning, but any value system must come arbitrarily from man himself by arbitrary choice.” - Francis A. Schaeffer

Quote Originally Posted by spinner981 View Post
    I see a problem when it becomes a common trend to label people who merely don't go with the flow by adopting the same opinions as the social squeaky wheels as hateful bigots that run contrary to 'progress' and 'happiness'. In a secular reality neither is right nor wrong, and both opinions are equal in value. Yet those who embrace progressiveness refuse to accept that blatant and obvious reality. It's just a battle of opinions where might makes right, majority wins and it the merits of either side don't matter.
    Yeah, I don't have a problem with calling people who oppose equal rights bigots.

The problem here is that you've got a group of people (your church and religion) attempting to apply the laws and moralities of an entirely fictional being onto real people. It's truly impossible to even explain how this looks being on the outside looking in. What you or your god think of LGBT people is of 100% irrelevance to those people. Seriously zero. That's the point you have to understand.

Your god isn't real. No god is real. Hiding behind the made up laws of a made up deity is absolutely no justification for the poor or exclusionary treatment of your fellow man. None. It's actually worse than having no reason at all.

TL;DR: The minute you say "but my church says..." is the minute you abandon your side of the debate.

cool, good thing we shouldn't have to give a shit what the sky wizard thinks either way. kind of the point of the ruling.

the separation of church and state is the foundation of america. religion should have no bearing on any laws because of that.

that said, i don't think people that disagree with homosexuality should be punished for it, because freedom of religion is also a foundation of our nation and it should be respected as well.

so, if gays/bisexuals would like to be married and they find someone that will marry them, nobody should have the right to say that can't happen, and now it doesn't. i hope that nobody who doesn't want to marry them will be forced to, because that would be as against our founding ideals as much as not allowing gay marriage is.