Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by alduron View Post
    Hell just look at items like the spellstrike crafted set from BC and how long people used them.
    Back in MoP, there was a trinket (I think it was the "Lei Shen's final Order" from Will of the Emperor) that was so good for frost DKs that the LFR version was better than not only every single other Normal mode trinket (besides the normal mode version of itself) but was ALSO better than all but one heroic trinket.

If ToT, and SoO after that, only provided a marginal increase to stats in gear, people probably would have been using the heroic form of Lei Shen's Final Order until the end of the expansion.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Gatsbybutters View Post
    Lol "it worked".
    They'll be doing the squish every expansion now.
    That's the plan, yes. So?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Soul Reaver View Post
    It also shows it going up exponentially from 80 to 85, which isn't what happened.
    If you're referring to the spike at the end of the graph, yes, it does revert to exponential at 85 because 85 was the endgame at the time that graph was released. The intention was always that the endgame would retain exponential growth, thus it shows that at the then-current endgame in the graph.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Teeahmat View Post
    I'm not good at math, so forgive me I make a mistake here..

If it went in a linear line, wouldn't you be able to dictate that say every 15 ilevels should result in a net gain of 300 DPS (give or take a bit for itemization)? If that is the case, doesn't that make your % completely arbitrary? At that point it seems like people are obsessing over the wrong numbers, and that its a problem with the players, not the game.
    Yes; however, 300 DPS is a big upgrade when you're already doing 300 DPS but a very small upgrade when you're doing 300,000. Thus the linear increases weaken over time relative to how much they're being added to.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sahugani View Post
    On a side note, they COULD have given bosses a % dmg reduction from players. Like, If players would only 30% of their normal dmg to garrosh he wouldn't need to heal, right?
    That would have felt retarded. Jump into SOO in max ilevel gear and now you're doing 30% less damage. It would be the reverse of what happened in ICC where you were super powerful inside and nerfed once you left.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Essentia@Cho'gall of Inebriated Raiding.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...ssentia/simple
    http://masteroverwatch.com/profile/pc/us/Tharkkun-1222

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Jack Flash View Post
    Because it worked?

People are doing 50"ish"K DPS instead of the 2-3million or more they would've been.

Seems like a success to me.
    We shouldn't even be doing that, even 20k is too high after this squish. We should have been back to the 10-12k for what is the current tier is top end.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    You're wrong, they did it for the simple reason that they felt that the numbers were starting to seem silly. When players have millions of HP and do millions of DPS that just starts to feel ridiculous. Changing a few variables to 64-bit or whatever was required would surely be a lot easier than rescaling the entire game... that took them ages...

They mentioned things like certain numbers capping out the allowed digits (eg threat - not that anyone cares) purely as illustration, it wasn't the motivation for the change.
    It's more than that. Aside from changing all the variables to support 64-bit they would need to account for Operating Systems and 32-bit clients still. They support a 32-bit OS on Windows with the 32-bit client. They also support both the 32bit and 64bit client on a 64bit Windows OS. There's also a 32bit and 64bit client for MacOS. People forget Blizzard is multi-platform on all their games.

After all the programming is completed every piece of the game needs to be QA'd again.

I've talked to people in my development division about this and converting a huge enterprise package is a major undertaking. That's why companies put it off for as long as possible. That's also why most software you use is still 32-bit.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Essentia@Cho'gall of Inebriated Raiding.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...ssentia/simple
    http://masteroverwatch.com/profile/pc/us/Tharkkun-1222

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tharkkun View Post
    That would have felt retarded. Jump into SOO in max ilevel gear and now you're doing 30% less damage. It would be the reverse of what happened in ICC where you were super powerful inside and nerfed once you left.
    I agree completely, but it IS an option. I just think that the item squish was the best they could do at this point (and I also think that they haven't gone far enough with the squish, I'd have squished the stats even harder)

Why the fuck do you idiots have to randomly put "actual" before words now. It's not cool. It's not clever. It's not edgy.

/thread

Why do ppl care so much about some numbers?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bumkin View Post
    Why do ppl care so much about some numbers?
    They want something to be angry about.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by SL1200 View Post
    The game doesn't have to count numbers the way you say it does. They can make some changes in the code to make it work.

Ghostcrawler in the very beginning of this blog is describing what I want to use.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/388...aria-11-4-2011

If you want to keep saying it's impossible, fine, but i'm going to go with GC in any matter concerning wow.
    All he is talking about is changing the way the number is reported to the player. If you do 1,483,279 damage the game can say you did 1,483k or 1.5M but it will still have to deal with the full number 1,483,279 and take it away from the billions of boss health.

If you carry on reading the blog he says "there are some very real computational limitations" that they'll have to deal with.