Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

Jumping Puzzles - how cool is that!

6.2 brought us many things, and among them is an activity I love the most - Jumping puzzles! There were some of them at the start of Draenor, plus there was a similar thing on Isle of Thunder and in Blackfathom Deeps, but these are getting progressively more awesome and interesting. Just look at them

While not particularly challenging, they still were a blast to do. Especially this cave

It's like Wailing Caverns in HD, and with freaking traversable vines! On which you can fight with mobs!
    After playing Guild Wars 2, where Jumping Puzzles is a legalized activity with its own achievements and rewards, it was rather sad to not see anything similar in WoW. But this new stuff gives me hope, that maybe there'll be even more of them in the future, and that makes me extremely happy.
    Some might argue that they won't work in WoW because of the old jumping engine (once you jump, you can't change where you are moving), but I think it just shifts the focus to skillfully making the jump, not changing your direction mid-flight, which doesn't make sense anyway.

10+ Year Old Account
    Never been crazy about jump puzzles. Mainly because jumping in WoW is so finicky.

They're a nice little diversion here and there, but they don't need all that many of them. There's only so much they can do with WoW's engine.

And they certainly aren't an excuse to remove flying.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

i can see why they removed flying, those indoor jumping puzzles would never exist with flying mounts in the game

Quote Originally Posted by moo moo View Post
    i can see why they removed flying, those indoor jumping puzzles would never exist with flying mounts in the game
    wouldn't matter, can't fly indoors or in caves anyways.

concerning jumping in WoW, the physics just aren't responsive enough for precise jumping. So the developers have to make the jumping puzzles with a little extra room. GW2 jumping puzzles are more fun because the engine allows for some inventive and tricky jumps.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't mind jumping puzzles but I think they're a waste of time with the WoW engine being like it is. If Blizzard cares, that's my feedback about them. Concentrate on things the engine does well and don't put stuff in that doesn't work well.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Quote Originally Posted by Redwyrm View Post
    I can't have been the only one that used my shredder to fly up there?

I give them an A for effort but with wows atrocious jumping they are never going to be great. You can only jump one distance and can't change direction mid flight.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Jump puzzles are only fun in 2D where players can properly judge distance and when players can alter their direction mid-air.
    Internet forums are more for circlejerking (patting each other on the back) than actual discussion (exchange and analysis of information and points of view). Took me long enough to realise ...

Quote Originally Posted by Tirilka View Post
    It's like Wailing Caverns in HD, and with freaking traversable vines! On which you can fight with mobs!
    Jumping puzzles in WoW, which require some client-server communication, will make you want to set fire to your computer if your latency is 200+ msec.

Quote Originally Posted by SodiumChloride View Post
    Jump puzzles are only fun in 2D where players can properly judge distance and when players can alter their direction mid-air.
    Maplestory's jump puzzles sucked though

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    I don't mind jumping puzzles but I think they're a waste of time with the WoW engine being like it is. If Blizzard cares, that's my feedback about them. Concentrate on things the engine does well and don't put stuff in that doesn't work well.
    Seconded.

I've yet to come across one in World of Warcraft that I enjoyed.

Deleted
    Jumping puzzles are great in Assassins creed games. In WoW its just a frustration due to its terrible physics engine. Its fine for raiding. Its not fine for climbing the walls.

Quote Originally Posted by Redwyrm View Post
    it was sarcasm

Deleted
    jumping puzzles would be fun, if the camera wasn't so bad. half the time I have to fiddle with the camera so I can even see where I am :/

Why can't they make it so objects don't cover the whole screen? This was an issue in Highmaul Twins (with the cloth banners covering the whole screen if one was too close to the walls) and pretty much everywhere in Tanaan with all the tree leaves.

10+ Year Old Account
    The jumping puzzles are terrible in Tanaan, although it's simple to break them with the feather or a glider or even just simple speed boosts. I've heard the jumping puzzels worked in GW2, but once again, just because it works in one game, Blizzard thinks they need to make it work in WoW.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xtrm View Post
    The jumping puzzles are terrible in Tanaan, although it's simple to break them with the feather or a glider or even just simple speed boosts. I've heard the jumping puzzels worked in GW2, but once again, just because it works in one game, Blizzard thinks they need to make it work in WoW.
    They're amazingly fun and intuitive in GW2. But, then again, that game was built from the ground up to include these. The camera, jumping, and everything works seamlessly to make you feel like you can figure out how to do it if you just put your mind to it. Generally, there are multiple starting patsh to any particular prize but only the correct one will lead you to an actual path all the way to the top.

In WoW, though, the camera, jumping, and everything conspire to make you feel like you should just not bother. And I LOVE jumping puzzles. What I don't love about them in WoW is how easy it is to overshoot or misjudge jumping distance because Blizz put the platforms just a weeeee bit too close together, or too close to an object that's blocking the camera. And then you're jumping blind and gently tapping the space bar and... nope, overshot again, fuck this, I'm out!

It could have been fun. But Blizz just didn't do it properly.

Sig by Isilrien

10+ Year Old Account
    GW2 does it better.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadite View Post
    I can't have been the only one that used my shredder to fly up there?

I give them an A for effort but with wows atrocious jumping they are never going to be great. You can only jump one distance and can't change direction mid flight.
    And what is so atrocious about it? It's the logical way. Plus, you can jump different distances, you just have to press Space first, and then W. Depending on the time you waited before pressing forward, you will jump different lengths. Or, if you require super precise jumping, you can turn around and jump backwards.

As I said, it just moves the skill from controlling the character mid-jump to more carefully preparing it. You have to know your jumping distances from various positions, estimate your landing spot, mind all the obstacles like overhanging rocks that you can bash into with your head, thus thwarting the jump.
    Why is that not considered skillful and engaging, while bunny hopping around and doing ridiculous U-turns in mid-air is?

Quote Originally Posted by Ballrug View Post
    Jumping puzzles in WoW, which require some client-server communication, will make you want to set fire to your computer if your latency is 200+ msec.
    What? I could understand that argument if you had to jump on a moving train, but static geometry requires good internet? It's not even spellcasting, jumping is completely client-sided.

Quote Originally Posted by User007 View Post
    jumping puzzles would be fun, if the camera wasn't so bad. half the time I have to fiddle with the camera so I can even see where I am :/

Why can't they make it so objects don't cover the whole screen? This was an issue in Highmaul Twins (with the cloth banners covering the whole screen if one was too close to the walls) and pretty much everywhere in Tanaan with all the tree leaves.
    Eh, you can save camera positions with default in-game tools (keybinds menu), and switch between them instantly. I, for one, assigned maximum camera distance to 4 on numpad, first person to 5, and shoulder camera to 6. Works great in all ways of WoW.

Deleted
    Amen to that! If I wanted to play a jump game Id play on my kids nes....

imo jumping puzzles have no place in WoW.... or any MMO.
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

10+ Year Old Account
    I dislike WoDs terrain design in general.