Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Day one I was out there doing them, too. Love them.

Sis didn't even see the axe one in the cave, but as soon as I saw vine/ropes there I went! lol

If it's on a mountain or any high spot, Kevyne is there! lol

This is the stuff the old timers like. Stuff that even a lookup or video can't deliver to you on a silver platter. You have to perform to get it, not buy the title and/or object.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Thage View Post
    The difference is, PvP has always been an integral part of the MMO experience.
    Which is cheap and what lazy devs put into a game, as it doesn't require the coding (especially a real AI and realistic pathing).
    From the #1 Cata review on Amazon.com: "Blizzard's greatest misstep was blaming players instead of admitting their mistakes.
    They've convinced half of the population that the other half are unskilled whiners, causing a permanent rift in the community."

I love stuff like this; While it can be frustrating in game like WoW, i've always been a big fan of platforming.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevyne-Shandris View Post
    Which is cheap and what lazy devs put into a game, as it doesn't require the coding (especially a real AI and realistic pathing).
    This is true, but it's the difference between an MMO and a platformer--you expect PvP to be in an MMO because it's part of the package deal. You get a world of content, group content, and PvP to keep life spicy. If Super Mario suddenly added in cover-based shooting, you'd probably be like "Uh, I play Super Mario to platform." Right? Same logic applies here. Draenor's so overly-reliant on shitty jumping puzzles and gliders for the few good chests in the game that it feels less like World of Warcraft and more like World of Uncharted's Badly-Programmed Little Brother (who might randomly decide you didn't press the Spacebar soon enough or might rubber-band you back two platforms if your internet has a hiccup).
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tekkommo View Post
    GW2 does it better.
    And is the reason they're in WoD. I really wish Blizzard would quit just adding things from other games and think of stuff that WoW can do well and create that.

Quote Originally Posted by fluffhead View Post
    Maplestory sucked though
    Ftfy

sneaky 10char

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    This thread however is proof that they read these forums. Jumping puzzles from other games were hyped here and voila...we get them.
    Don't know about hype, I'm serious that I like them and do them (Mountaineer title is from completing the puzzles)...

Spot on...

From the #1 Cata review on Amazon.com: "Blizzard's greatest misstep was blaming players instead of admitting their mistakes.
    They've convinced half of the population that the other half are unskilled whiners, causing a permanent rift in the community."

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Don't know about hype, I'm serious that I like them and do them (Mountaineer title is from completing the puzzles)...
    If you are the kind of person who enjoys exploration, vistas, and jumping puzzles...why on this green Earth are you playing WoW and not logged into GW2 24/7?
    BAD WOLF

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelimbror View Post
    If you are the kind of person who enjoys exploration, vistas, and jumping puzzles...why on this green Earth are you playing WoW and not logged into GW2 24/7?
    They don't have ... HOLY PALADINS!!!

I honestly didn't even realize there was any new jumping puzzles in 6.2 until I saw them in the background of some video. Even with the 6.0 content I haven't really come across any.

Think that is an issue, in that there is nothing leading me to these places and who knows where they are without alt tabbing to look it up. They hide a lot of content in these patches and then wonder why people think there isn't anything to do.
    ..and so he left, with terrible power in shaking hands.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Never been crazy about jump puzzles. Mainly because jumping in WoW is so finicky.

They're a nice little diversion here and there, but they don't need all that many of them. There's only so much they can do with WoW's engine.

And they certainly aren't an excuse to remove flying.
    Agreed. Jumping is just too clunky in WoW for jumping puzzles to really be fun. Most of the time they're just really frustrating and comes down to being super precise on where you start where you jump, unless your class has some big movement speed burst(i.e. a Sprint)so you have an easier time.

10+ Year Old Account
    *SNIP*
    Guardian R 4 Pallyz. But srsly, get on those jump puzzles. You're missing the world.
    BAD WOLF

10+ Year Old Account
    Got my Master Treasure Hunter achievement the other day and I really enjoyed the jumping puzzles. It makes the world more interactive and immersive imo.

Even with WoW's outdated engine, the jumping physics are still more realistic than GW2. In the real world you can't change the trajectory of your jump, and every jump and fall follows a set parabolic arc. Sure, timing the jumps can be frustrating if your connection is bad, but so is every other aspect of the game.
    HEROES NEVER DIE

Not a fan of jumping puzzles. I think they're stupid, repetitive borefests.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by delus View Post
    Not a fan of jumping puzzles. I think they're stupid, repetitive borefests.
    ...Tell me more about the garrison/raids/other content you enjoy in WoW or other MMOs.
    BAD WOLF

Jumping puzzles are pretty terrible in wow. The jumping and terrain collision just isn't precise enough for them to be enjoyable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Nah nah, see... I live by one simple creed: You might catch more flies with honey, but to catch honeys you gotta be fly.

Quote Originally Posted by Thage View Post
    This is true, but it's the difference between an MMO and a platformer--you expect PvP to be in an MMO because it's part of the package deal. You get a world of content, group content, and PvP to keep life spicy. If Super Mario suddenly added in cover-based shooting, you'd probably be like "Uh, I play Super Mario to platform." Right? Same logic applies here. Draenor's so overly-reliant on shitty jumping puzzles and gliders for the few good chests in the game that it feels less like World of Warcraft and more like World of Uncharted's Badly-Programmed Little Brother (who might randomly decide you didn't press the Spacebar soon enough or might rubber-band you back two platforms if your internet has a hiccup).
    I'd rather play World of Uncharted's Badly-Programmed Little Brother than World of CoD's Imbalanced Cousin :-

I stopped playing GW2 for a few reasons. The jumping puzzles, whilst fun, were still part of a 3rd-person keyboard-and-mouse game with less smooth movement than WoW's, and they suffered from being way too big, requiring way too much precision and either killing you or making you run for ages when you mess it up. The vistas, whilst pretty, where marred by the massive video-game icons pointing out that there's a nice vista (and no first-person view?!) Combat was incredibly spammy, even when compared to my current stripped-down warlock rotation. Finally, if possible I always like to play RPGs with home-made equipment, and just grinding the mats for my next set of armour was taking me to a point where I was ready for the next set of armour, and the only obvious solution was to spend real money to get gold to use the AH (although the AH for GW2 was far superior to WoW's.)

Quote Originally Posted by Baconeggcheese View Post
    I honestly didn't even realize there was any new jumping puzzles in 6.2 until I saw them in the background of some video. Even with the 6.0 content I haven't really come across any.

Think that is an issue, in that there is nothing leading me to these places and who knows where they are without alt tabbing to look it up. They hide a lot of content in these patches and then wonder why people think there isn't anything to do.
    Almost all of the ones I've found so far have been associated with treasure chests, and there's a treasure map available from one of the factions.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    I stopped playing GW2 for a few reasons. The jumping puzzles, whilst fun, were still part of a 3rd-person keyboard-and-mouse game with less smooth movement than WoW's
    This is inaccurate. The game has physics which actually factor weight and gravity instead of your character moving through a vacuum. The lack of resistance is why people claim wow is 'smoother'. It's factually untrue and design wise, is especially not true.

and they suffered from being way too big
    Epic landscape, exploration driven MMO has big worlds. Well...just not for you? Idk. Seems like an odd complaint.

The vistas, whilst pretty, where marred by the massive video-game icons pointing out that there's a nice vista (and no first-person view?!)
    On the map? Because it doesn't exist in the game world. Additionally, there is first person view. You must not have played in a really, really long time.

Combat was incredibly spammy
    ...plays wow, complains a more action oriented game is spammy. I'm confused.

Finally, if possible I always like to play RPGs with home-made equipment, and just grinding the mats for my next set of armour was taking me to a point where I was ready for the next set of armour, and the only obvious solution was to spend real money to get gold to use the AH (although the AH for GW2 was far superior to WoW's.
    I've leveled entire characters via crafting while spending no gold. I mean I get it, WoW has made it so that you can play a facebook game to get mats and armor without stepping foot into the game world. I guess that's good for some people. Idk.

I don't want to sound so vitriolic, because I have no allegiances to any mmo. But your description is so off key with the game I had to say something, though this thread really isn't the place and wasn't why I mentioned GW2 anyways. It's just the game if you want exploration and jumping puzzles type content. Nothing else comes close, though it's not for you and that's ok.
    BAD WOLF

This is inaccurate. The game has physics which actually factor weight and gravity instead of your character moving through a vacuum. The lack of resistance is why people claim wow is 'smoother'. It's factually untrue and design wise, is especially not true.
    I get it, Guild Wars has technically better movement, but it's the fact WoW has more basic movement that makes it handle smoother which I find important considering how poor keyboard+mouse is for 3rd-person platforming.

Epic landscape, exploration driven MMO has big worlds. Well...just not for you? Idk. Seems like an odd complaint.
    The jumping puzzles were too big, not the world. In WoW they tend to be at most a couple of obstacles to get around, in GW they were these epic sprawling levels with booby traps and mechanisms and stuff. Gimme that with a controller and better camera and I'll be all over it but on GW2 it was endlessly frustrating. In WoW the most I've spent trying to do a jumpy bit is probably around 20 minutes (except getting into Hyjal which I gave up on 'cos gnomes seem to be too short,) in GW2 there's one that I spent hours failing at. In WoW they're small and forgiving enough to be an entertaining distraction, in GW2 they're entire platformer-levels requiring the sort of precision the controls were not suited for.

On the map? Because it doesn't exist in the game world. Additionally, there is first person view. You must not have played in a really, really long time.
    Not since a few months after launch, when there was no first-person view and the icons remained in the game world even after you had collected them.

...plays wow, complains a more action oriented game is spammy. I'm confused.
    Maybe the engineer was just a sucky class but all the interesting abilities (big damage or utility) were on pretty big cooldowns and there was a serious limit on how many abilities you could have on your bar. 90% of the time it was shoot-shoot-shoot-shoot with the occasional double-tap dodge. Compared to the Sith Assassin in SWtOR or a WotLK-era Destro 'Lock it was mind-numbing.

I've leveled entire characters via crafting while spending no gold. I mean I get it, WoW has made it so that you can play a facebook game to get mats and armor without stepping foot into the game world. I guess that's good for some people. Idk.
    My warlock mined the mats my warrior/blacksmith could make all her own weapons and armour, including both mithril and the imperial plate set (with rep grinds) and the Wicked Edge of the Plains in TBC. My druid/skinner/leatherworker probably murdered every creature in the world twice gearing himself (agi and int sets) as well as my hunter and rogue, I'm not sure how you can confuse any of that with a Facebook game. Skyrim...I probably cheated by getting most of my materials from merchants but I made some bad-ass sets with weapons named after Norse mythological figures and it was amazing.

With GW2 I really wanted to play the same way, but if I started grinding the mats for my lvl 18 gear when I was 17, I wouldn't get enough until I was lvl 20 or so.

I don't want to sound so vitriolic, because I have no allegiances to any mmo. But your description is so off key with the game I had to say something, though this thread really isn't the place and wasn't why I mentioned GW2 anyways. It's just the game if you want exploration and jumping puzzles type content. Nothing else comes close, though it's not for you and that's ok.
    It sounds like they've made some improvements but when I played GW2 the positives always seemed to come with a negative. Great landscapes marred by icons, wonderful views and no first-person mode to appreciate them, interesting puzzles made frustrating by shonky controls, good idea for going more action-RPG with the abilities but they made it boring (for the engineer at least) and an amazing crafting system ruined by the poor drop-rate on mats.

15+ Year Old Account
    I liked jumping puzzles in timeless isle, and i certainly liked them in WoD too.

10+ Year Old Account
    Guardian R 4 Pallyz. But srsly, get on those jump puzzles. You're missing the world.
    When RIFT took mana away from Paladins, the newness these devs were trying to introduce about basic class design caused me to drifted away. A Paladin without mana is like a Cleric healing with rage.

Moderation note: Please stay on topic. [ML]
    Last edited by MoanaLisa; 2015-07-07 at 02:20 AM.