Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Lava Bucket View Post
    Nearly all my friends are filthy liberals, and the only time I hear the conservative point of view is from the usual crazy sources (Fox News, Rush Limbaugh, Glen Beck, ect.). I'm interested to hear what the conservative plan for economic growth for the US is moving forward. Is it really just cutting taxes? Because it seems like we've been trying supply side economics for about 30 years now and it hasn't worked out very well for the middle class.

What do the MMOC conservatives think will pull the US out of this recession and give us healthy economic growth? Can anyone point me to some less-biased conservative sources? I'm looking for a conservative version of Joseph Stiglitz I guess.
    You will not get a conservatives plan on this site. All you will get is some rhetoric about how it will never work, but they fail to look at the current state of democratic lead economies vs the conservative side. Also, most people on this site care more for our social issue rather than economic ones, but again it's a liberal site.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PrimaryColor View Post
    Yes, that would be optimal. However in a world with 7 billion people on the planet you will quickly run into diminishing returns and resource issues.
    Again though, knowledge does not work the same as skittles, I don't have any less if I give away all my green ones to my family. If there were a definite diminishing return on education, that would imply at some point, technology would simply stop advancing once we reach a threshold at which acquiring new information removes existing necessary information. There is definitely a storage limit on the human brain, but we are nowhere near hitting it. If anything, given how quickly technology has advanced after the advent of written language, the printing press, and more recently the internet, there is nothing but support that the more information people have available, the more quickly technology advances.

The reason technology has increased exponentially in the last century (and to be very frank, this is entirely unprecedented in the hundred thousand or so years that biologically modern humans have existed) is because now even the dimmest individual in this country is expected to know how to solve 2X=4 by the time they're 18 when historically, only those 1% you were talking about earlier had even an inkling of what was being suggested. The more people who know algebra, the more people are going to have a chance of understanding calculus.
    /\ Was this sarcasm? Are you sure?
    || Read it again, I'll wait.
    || The results may surprise you.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darnash View Post
    Each of these men built on the work of these millions and millions of researchers in unique ways.
    Right, I was not saying there is only a few super human inventors like Daelak implied. Even if you attribute most scientific advancements to a few million, that is a still a very elite number. Less than 1% of the population
    Last edited by PC2; 2015-07-06 at 10:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Interception View Post
    The Conservative Plan in Illinois is abolish the Unions, remove the minimum wage, and apply Right-To-Work Zones....
    There is a conservative part to Illinois? Well you should give it a try, we see what the liberal plan has gotten that place

10+ Year Old Account
    Cut taxes for the rich and fearmonger the defense budget to cold war levels.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vago View Post
    There is a conservative part to Illinois? Well you should give it a try, we see what the liberal plan has gotten that place
    I can tell you exactly what Rauner's plan would result in. Chicago is a major freight hub...Everything from oil to corn to computers to cars are handled through us. Rauner now and Paul Ryan in 2012 both wanted to place their hand into our Railroad Retirement with Rauner going so far as to suggest that rail workers disband the BLET and UTU as representatives because "Unions are not needed in this day and age". You'll never see what happened with those meetings because it was a unanimous decision among the Unions and their members to shut down all rail traffic out of Chicago for 72 hours. Nothing In and Nothing out...You would be surprised at how crippling that would do to the nation.
    “You're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it.”― Malcolm X

I watch them fight and die in the name of freedom. They speak of liberty and justice, but for whom? -Ratonhnhaké:ton (Connor Kenway)

Quote Originally Posted by NuLogic View Post
    Cut taxes for the rich and fearmonger the defense budget to cold war levels.
    The last time a Republican was in office tax cuts went to the middle class. Also, who else are you going to cut taxes for? The poor don't pay taxes and the middle class is dying faster than every with the new taxes imposed on them...

- - - Updated - - -

I can tell you exactly what Rauner's plan would result in. Chicago is a major freight hub...Everything from oil to corn to computers to cars are handled through us. Rauner now and Paul Ryan in 2012 both wanted to place their hand into our Railroad Retirement with Rauner going so far as to suggest that rail workers disband the BLET and UTU as representatives because "Unions are not needed in this day and age". You'll never see what happened with those meetings because it was a unanimous decision among the Unions and their members to shut down all rail traffic out of Chicago for 72 hours. Nothing In and Nothing out...You would be surprised at how crippling that would do to the nation.
    And? What has the current, democratic plan resulted in? You guys bankrupt yet?

The last time a Republican was in office tax cuts went to the middle class. Also, who else are you going to cut taxes for? The poor don't pay taxes and the middle class is dying faster than every with the new taxes imposed on them...

- - - Updated - - -

I thought the middle class was dying cause stagnant pay cant keep up with rising cost of living.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not quite sure if you're actually wanting a discussion or just your typical one-line responses with no backing. You preached Conservative Economics - Asking working Engineers and Conductors to cut ties with their Union representation while at the same time asking us to give up our Railroad Retirement (which by accepting makes us all ineligible to draw from Social Security because we don't pay into that) and expecting that to be good for the economy is illogical. I'm not quite sure how attacking working people (who require a Federal License to perform their job tasks) is somehow beneficial to anything.
    “You're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it.”― Malcolm X

I watch them fight and die in the name of freedom. They speak of liberty and justice, but for whom? -Ratonhnhaké:ton (Connor Kenway)

Quote Originally Posted by Kryctos View Post
    I thought the middle class was dying cause stagnant pay cant keep up with rising cost of living.
    Na inflation has been fairly stagnant, along with pay, its the additional taxes on that stagnant pay.

none of the current republican candidates have given a coherent plan with specifics. what they have proposed is either vague or has major flaws.

as for clinton... you know exactly what you're going to get. it's not all good, obviously. but, if you ask me to choose between her and the current republican field then that's not really a choice.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GodlyBob View Post
    Again though, knowledge does not work the same as skittles, I don't have any less if I give away all my green ones to my family. If there were a definite diminishing return on education, that would imply at some point, technology would simply stop advancing once we reach a threshold at which acquiring new information removes existing necessary information. There is definitely a storage limit on the human brain, but we are nowhere near hitting it. If anything, given how quickly technology has advanced after the advent of written language, the printing press, and more recently the internet, there is nothing but support that the more information people have available, the more quickly technology advances.

The reason technology has increased exponentially in the last century (and to be very frank, this is entirely unprecedented in the hundred thousand or so years that biologically modern humans have existed) is because now even the dimmest individual in this country is expected to know how to solve 2X=4 by the time they're 18 when historically, only those 1% you were talking about earlier had even an inkling of what was being suggested. The more people who know algebra, the more people are going to have a chance of understanding calculus.
    I agree with many of your points, but not with how realistic is to get there.

When I said diminishing returns I was not talking about the human brain but from an economic perspective. I think Endus has made this point a couple times, that you can push more people towards science (such as STEM) but at some point there is a very limiting level of saturation. There are only so many productive opportunities that really lead to innovation and value.
    Last edited by PC2; 2015-07-06 at 10:42 PM.

Not quite sure if you're actually wanting a discussion or just your typical one-line responses with no backing. You preached Conservative Economics - Asking working Engineers and Conductors to cut ties with their Union representation while at the same time asking us to give up our Railroad Retirement (which by accepting makes us all ineligible to draw from Social Security because we don't pay into that) and expecting that to be good for the economy is illogical. I'm not quite sure how attacking working people (who require a Federal License to perform their job tasks) is somehow beneficial to anything.
    No by all means lets discuss it? I'm asking you how has the democratic approach worked for you guys? What about Michigan? What about just about every other blue state? I'm just asking here because looking at states when compared to their GDP vs Debt, blue states are not fairing to well. So I'm simply asking you, how has it worked for you guys?

No backing? So are you denying that your state, a once very prosperous state, is now going broke?

I like how the brilliant response is just glossed over.

Like almost always.

You will not get a conservatives plan on this site. All you will get is some rhetoric about how it will never work, but they fail to look at the current state of democratic lead economies vs the conservative side. Also, most people on this site care more for our social issue rather than economic ones, but again it's a liberal site.
    We were waiting for you to stop playing victim and have some Personal Responsibility and give us this unicorn of a right-wing economic plan! Now is your chance!
    While you live, shine / Have no grief at all / Life exists only for a short while / And time demands its toll.

10+ Year Old Account
    No by all means lets discuss it? I'm asking you how has the democratic approach worked for you guys? What about Michigan? What about just about every other blue state? I'm just asking here because looking at states when compared to their GDP vs Debt, blue states are not fairing to well. So I'm simply asking you, how has it worked for you guys?

No backing? So are you denying that your state, a once very prosperous state, is now going broke?
    If you're going into the whole Chicago and Detroit thing and blaming that on the failure of Democratic Planning so be it. It's an old argument and one that Conservatives like to stick to while disregarding their own disasters like Kansas. However the point I brought up was that a Conservative Governor wanted to impact his ideals onto a group of working class Americans that would have an impact on the nation as a whole. Asking people to bend to the wills of their respective Companies and give up their right to Collective Bargaining is a bullshit practice. Asking people who forgo Social Security to give up their pension that requires 30 years of service to get the full benefit from is asinine. The Rail Hub in Chicago accounts for 80% of all rail freight in the United States - attacking working people here would impact the country as a whole. What this Conservative Policy would do is cause a ripple effecting every States Economy...even more for the states which rely on on-time transit of perishable food items, water, and fuels.

If you're going into the whole Chicago and Detroit thing and blaming that on the failure of Democratic Planning so be it. It's an old argument and one that Conservatives like to stick to while disregarding their own disasters like Kansas. However the point I brought up was that a Conservative Governor wanted to impact his ideals onto a group of working class Americans that would have an impact on the nation as a whole. Asking people to bend to the wills of their respective Companies and give up their right to Collective Bargaining is a bullshit practice. Asking people who forgo Social Security to give up their pension that requires 30 years of service to get the full benefit from is asinine. The Rail Hub in Chicago accounts for 80% of all rail freight in the United States - attacking working people here would impact the country as a whole. What this Conservative Policy would do is cause a ripple effecting every States Economy...even more for the states which rely on on-time transit of perishable food items, water, and fuels.
    So are you going to answer the question or not?

The Conservative Plan in Illinois is abolish the Unions, remove the minimum wage, and apply Right-To-Work Zones....
    Well if employers weren't forced to pay their employees so much they would save money and use those savings to pay their employees even more.

Quote Originally Posted by unfilteredJW View Post
    I like how the brilliant response is just glossed over.

Like almost always.
    If you mean the actual detailed one on the previous page, well, you can't argue with the truth and anyone with half a brain that doesn't want to do nothing but spout buzzwords knows that the Conservative 'trickle-down' doesn't work, and that the GOP might have to move away from preaching Reagan as a deity.
    Quote Originally Posted by xanzul View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    So if the states get together and work with the Legislative Branch to write an amendment to the federal constitution, you think the Judiciary (SCOTUS) could strike it down for being 'unconstitutional'?
    Uh...yes. Absolutely.

Quote Originally Posted by Rukh View Post
    We were waiting for you to stop playing victim and have some Personal Responsibility and give us this unicorn of a right-wing economic plan! Now is your chance!
    I'm not playing victim at all, I don't live in a blue state and live fairly well, and not thirsting to death, but thanks. And I, personally, haven't seen any actual plans laid out, all candidates on both side are to worried about hurting someones little feelings to concentrate on what really matters. Besides Trump anyway.