"Poor Doors" Banned in NYC

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/m...ending_strip_6

Though such a system might smack of Victorian England — or worse, the Jim Crow South or apartheid South Africa — plans for it existed in New York City until last week, when Mayor Bill de Blasio (D) inserted language into a rent-regulation bill that was passed the state legislature outlawing some “poor doors.”

The key sentence, as the New York Post reported: “Affordable units shall share the same common entrances and common areas as market rate units.”
    So that's great news, I remember this topic was posted about and unsurprisingly many agreed last time, well now it's banned.

It doesn't make sense for a building to get breaks to build a building if they allow some low income (or mid income as sometimes the cut off is 70-80k) and then force them all to use a separate entrance for a building that wouldn't have been built if not for those very people they're trying to shaft.

10+ Year Old Account
    I always thought the concept of poor doors was poorly thought. Pun intended.

Who wants to feel marginalized? It's nearly as bad as "colored" vs "white" doors.

Politicians shouldn't be deliberately hiking taxes through the roof then offering "subsidies" for agreeing to their terms for developing property. It's basically politicians manipulating the private sector.

The Lightbringer theostrichsays's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    In my douche canoe crossing the Delaware.
    I know the thread is more about the doors, then the other things mentioned, but in the quote it also mentions the same common areas will be shared between different rate tenets. Do people in larger cities actually use shared common areas?
    When I was in Texas, I knew a few people in Dallas who lived in larger apartments that had common areas for a t.v. and some chairs, but they were always completely empty.

Anyways, my understanding of this was the lower floors were meant to be for the lower income tenets, and the higher floors were for the rich people (in a general way) so fi they build an elevator on the outside, like you see in many condos, then they will simply bypass this. One of the condos I worked on when I was in Alabama, the elevators didn't start until the 3rd floor there was a ground level e;evator, which generally started at $450k or something while the first two floors were "affordable" condos at $100k or so, from wht I picked up on talking to those who owned them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Axelhander View Post
    Thank you for mansplaining how opinions work.
    Also you're wrong, the people who agree with you are wrong, and you're probably ugly.
    Ever been so angry at everyone on the internet you tell a woman she is mansplaining?

It seems un-American, in a country that prides itself on being a meritocracy. It doesn't matter how practical it is, it seems wrong.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

this is actually unconstitutional regardless of if you believe its right or wrong morally. If people want to have poor doors on their buildings they have that right and Im pretty sure this will find its way to the NY Supreme Court. Unlike Religious beliefs, gender, age, sexual orientation, and race you most certainly are allowed to discriminate based on wealth.

Quote Originally Posted by Lilly32 View Post
    this is actually unconstitutional regardless of if you believe its right or wrong morally. If people want to have poor doors on their buildings they have that right and Im pretty sure this will find its way to the NY Supreme Court. Unlike Religious beliefs, gender, age, sexual orientation, and race you most certainly are allowed to discriminate based on wealth.
    Well no, it isn't unconstitutional for a state to say 'If you want the tax credits, you can't treat the people who are 'earning' you those tax credits like second class renters'.

Sorry, but you lose this round, and you evidently don't know how the constitution works.
    Quote Originally Posted by xanzul View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    So if the states get together and work with the Legislative Branch to write an amendment to the federal constitution, you think the Judiciary (SCOTUS) could strike it down for being 'unconstitutional'?
    Uh...yes. Absolutely.

Deleted
    I think they use government funds to build those things? And then go on and cut a small space off and market it for a separate segment of customers.

Well no, it isn't unconstitutional for a state to say 'If you want the tax credits, you can't treat the people who are 'earning' you those tax credits like second class renters'.

Sorry, but you lose this round, and you evidently don't know how the constitution works.
    But they are second class renters. Or are you saying if you compared their rents and actual quality of rooms that both would be equal?

But they are second class renters. Or are you saying if you compared their rents and actual quality of rooms that both would be equal?
    I believe that the supposed tax credits make up for them paying less rent. And no, a city/state/federal government is perfectly within it's rights to say 'if you want this money, you can't treat group 1 differently from group 2.'

I challenge you to show me where in the Federal (or even NY State) constitution it says 'Owners of buildings are required to have two separate ways in to and out of the building they own, one for poor people, and another for not poor people.'.
    Quote Originally Posted by xanzul View Post
    So if the states get together and work with the Legislative Branch to write an amendment to the federal constitution, you think the Judiciary (SCOTUS) could strike it down for being 'unconstitutional'?
    Uh...yes. Absolutely.

Deleted
    It's about the administrative conditions of those funds.

You can't spend extra to embezzle funds for luxury apartments when you got the money for affordable units.

Yeah I have no problem with this. If the government is offering tax incentives for affordable housing, which is good, they're entirely justified in putting some restrictions on what that housing must be like.

Quote Originally Posted by theostrichsays View Post
    I know the thread is more about the doors, then the other things mentioned, but in the quote it also mentions the same common areas will be shared between different rate tenets. Do people in larger cities actually use shared common areas?
    When I was in Texas, I knew a few people in Dallas who lived in larger apartments that had common areas for a t.v. and some chairs, but they were always completely empty.
    I'm guessing "common areas" will be things like the hallway, mailboxes and laundry rooms.

So, if I wanted to have a rental and did not take the tax breaks, I could still have "poor doors"?
    READ and be less Ignorant.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by IIamaKing View Post
    So, if I wanted to have a rental and did not take the tax breaks, I could still have "poor doors"?
    Yes of course lol

Or do you think being poor is a protected class in the US?

10+ Year Old Account
    No, it's non-constitutional. Which means the Constitution holds no bearing on the matter.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by IIamaKing View Post
    Certainly, but there's really be no point for you to do so.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

I believe that in many of these cases the building would not exist without those low-mid waged people. Many buildings of this type typically have equal apartments.

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    I believe that in many of these cases the building would not exist without those low-mid waged people. Many buildings of this type typically have equal apartments.
    I believe that is correct. The city will refuse building permits unless some minimum number of ""affordable" units are made available. If there is a tax credit it is nowhere near the lost rent revenue.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dondi49 View Post
    I believe that is correct. The city will refuse building permits unless some minimum number of ""affordable" units are made available. If there is a tax credit it is nowhere near the lost rent revenue.
    Is it a right to build wherever the fuck you want?