Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Are restaurants / fast food chains obligated to provide Nutritional information?

The last few weeks I've unfortunately turned into a calorie counting arsehole, but that's not why I'm posting this, I wanted to know If i'll be regarded as a d**k if I go into McDonalds for example and ask for the nutritional information for anything, or even a proper restaurant.

I know the point of McDonalds is to just eat some unhealthy junk as a treat but it would still be nice to be able to adjust what I eat for the rest of the day if it was.

Thanks in advance

(I live in Denmark but I imagine something like this is under European law)

Deleted
    I think they have that in the packs and tray papers. At least in Portugal

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    At lest in Norway they are required to provide that afaik.

Yes. I'm pretty sure all restaurants are obligated to show the nutritional infos on their meals one way or the other, atleast the big chains like MD, BK etc. Not sure about random restaurants though.

"Just because you read it on the internet, doesn't mean the person actually said it." - Thomas Jefferson

15+ Year Old Account
    The backside of the tray paper (and if the package got space for it) is a permanent listing of the neutrition of all their products here in Sweden.
    If I remember correctly they are required to have that info just like they are obligated by law to provide more critical info like allergies.

(swe)
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

Speaking as an American, fast food chains and such have them readily available. There might even be a law for such chains to provide them.

However, for sit down restaurants(not too sure on the criteria) I dont believe they are required to list calories and such. But then again common sense has went down the drain..."WHAT DO YOU MEAN MY BUTTER SOAKED STEAK, WITH MARSALA SAUCE, TWICE BAKED POTATO, AND BREAD IS 1400 CALORIES!!!!?! IM TRYING TO EAT HEALTHY!!"

Quote Originally Posted by Foosha View Post
    Speaking as an American, fast food chains and such have them readily available. There might even be a law for such chains to provide them.

However, for sit down restaurants(not too sure on the criteria) I dont believe they are required to list calories and such. But then again common sense has went down the drain..."WHAT DO YOU MEAN MY BUTTER SOAKED STEAK, WITH MARSALA SAUCE, TWICE BAKED POTATO, AND BREAD IS 1400 CALORIES!!!!?! IM TRYING TO EAT HEALTHY!!"
    Sit down restaurants preparing the food by hand would have a hard time listing the nutritious elements of each plate as they are going to be individually cooked and prepared. The variations could be huge. I'm just speculating here.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

I posted a few weeks ago how a law is coming where ALL restaurants will have to put their calorie count on the menu, in America that is

Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    I posted a few weeks ago how a law is coming where ALL restaurants will have to put their calorie count on the menu, in America that is
    Yup, they have them in pamphlets and on the wall so you can see what you get along with what the meal will give you if you get the whole thing, as well as larging or bigger.

Most people don't look at them, and then complain about getting fat, but all the information is there at your fingertips.

I think at McDonalds you have to ask for the calorie count and they'll give you a pamphlet. Or you can go to their website.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    People being unaware that the Fast food they eat is full of calories and unhealthy?

What a time to be alive.

In the US restaurants have to provide nutritional information. Idk about Denmark, but I believe this information is on McDonald's website.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Craakar View Post
    You know that paper sheet that covers your tray? The one showing random promotions? Flip it around! All their nutritional info is on the back.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Jack Flash View Post
    People being unaware that the Fast food they eat is full of calories and unhealthy?.
    No but they lack real numbers, hard to compare if they are just guessing.
    Also the "healthy" alternatives are popping up.

- - - Updated - - -

And OP how could you never have flipped the tray paper?
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Jack Flash View Post
    People being unaware that the Fast food they eat is full of calories and unhealthy?

What a time to be alive.
    Having worked at McDonald's in my youth (in the 80s), the one thing I learned is that a diet drink nullifies all the calories. I'm sure it still happens today, but to see a 250+ pounder roll in and get a McDLT, large fries and a large *diet* coke is always good for a chuckle. If a dumb farm kid back in the 80s knew that McDonald's was not healthy eating, I'm not sure what excuse people have today.

On topic: Most all the fast food places have the nutritional available on their websites and normally in the store. Of course, mom and pop shops probably won't
    Last edited by Mad_Murdock; 2015-07-07 at 01:17 PM.

McDonald's: Ingesting more than 1 fry may shorten your lifespan.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Craakar View Post
    The last few weeks I've unfortunately turned into a calorie counting arsehole, but that's not why I'm posting this, I wanted to know If i'll be regarded as a d**k if I go into McDonalds for example and ask for the nutritional information for anything, or even a proper restaurant.

I know the point of McDonalds is to just eat some unhealthy junk as a treat but it would still be nice to be able to adjust what I eat for the rest of the day if it was.

Thanks in advance

I can't speak for Denmark, but I work at McDonalds as a summer job and we have the calorie count on all of our meals on the menu. Although if you ask for the calories of something a bit more obscure then expect to have to wait while a manager gets the nutritional information.

Quote Originally Posted by Bakis View Post
    The backside of the tray paper (and if the package got space for it) is a permanent listing of the neutrition of all their products here in Sweden.
    If I remember correctly they are required to have that info just like they are obligated by law to provide more critical info like allergies.

(swe)
    But you wouldn't have that info for making your order.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dextersmith View Post
    But you wouldn't have that info for making your order.
    Then people can simply ask the teen behind the counter? There are pamflettes specifically about nutritional information , or simply ask for a tray paper and its online if its ordered from home.