Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by ro9ue View Post
    I used to love to speculate.

Alternate universe fucking killed it.
    Same applies to me. In MoP and Cata I loved to participate in spicy discussions, now everything feels so pointless and disjoined from anything, I really hope Blizz will say that whole WoG was not canon, pull the "it was a bad dream" thingy, and make Garrosh die (and Kairoz) without them going trough the Darkportal.
    Last edited by Ramz; 2015-07-08 at 03:07 PM.
    I miss Mists of Pandaria

Quote Originally Posted by Kaldreno View Post
    I just assumed that he'll escape and lead us into the next X-pac like Garrosh did. Thus crushing my soul.
    Pretty much this. This will either lead to another burning legion xpac or another orc xpac imo.. seem to be in love with the orc race of the last 6 years or so..

However i'm praying that he has somehow escaped or whatever to our world and has re-awoken the naga/old god/azshara threat. So long as they don't totally butcher THAT lore.

We have the report back from the lab now. The testresult are undeniable; WoW is just a game.

Quote Originally Posted by TheWindWalker View Post
    Which is exactly the biggest problem with all of this. We killed Archimonde before he came to Azeroth, now in our timeline he knows what's on Azeroth waiting for him and familiar with what kind of powers we have.

They basically shot themselves in both feet and a shoulder when they came up with that.
    You're not understanding. Time doesn't exist for demons. They transcend time. For Archimonde, this is a singular present for him.

This Archimonde already came to Azeroth and was defeated. This is the exact same Archimonde. Beating him here only impacts our timeline in the sense that he will need to recover and can not immediately return to Azeroth.

It poses VERY interesting questions for us once we get back to Azeroth -- how do we actually DESTROY a demon? How do we destroy a demon to the point he can not return from the Twisting Nether?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramz View Post
    Same applies to me. in MoP and Cata i loved to participate in spicy discussions, now everyfing feels so pointless and disjoined fro anything, I really hope Blizz will say that whole WoG was not canon, pull the "it was a bad dream" thingy, and make Garrosh die (and Kairoz) without them going trough the Darkportal.
    I'm so disappointed on Kairoz. This expansion was a perfect way to show off some Infinite dragonflight content and I think they planned on including them too. In the legendary questline, Kairoz yells out how he will become infinite, then for a short period of time on the beta, the Caverns of Time were under siege by the dragonflight. So, obviously they had some plans for them, but as with 99% of this expansion it was either cut or "the story went another way".

As for Gul'dan, what's the point of speculating? This expansion's lore is going to be forgotten in the future since it really doesn't effect our universe... That's the problem with alternate timelines, I've said it from the start, the lore gets too confusing, too messy, and just blah.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mmburntcheez View Post
    Let's look at Season 5 finale...nobody gave a shit about any of the other main characters except Jon Snow's "death".
    Well, not *quite* true, amongst the GoT/ASoIaF core fanbase there was a metric ton of ANGST about Stannis. A lot of people were very very upset because he hasn't (yet anyway) done those things in the books nor, in fact, died.

John Q. Public, though, who doesn't read the books and probably can't actually put names to most of the characters in the show, is most upset about Jon though.

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    I don't usually comment a lot about lore but it's difficult for me to imagine that the lore has been greatly damaged when you're playing in some alternate timeline that never happened in the Azeroth that, by now, I think we've been absent from for far too long.

This for me is actually one of the primary problems with the core concept of the expansion. Whatever happens is largely meaningless and pointless in the larger scheme of things. It's just a side trip. When we get back 'home' Velen will still be alive, etc. Pointless to the extent of nearly being fanfic.
    The lore and story have been damaged. Firstly...the use of the AU setting itself. Yes....it existed before but it was patrolled and guarded. Blizzard need to state the de-empowering of the Dragon flights was a con, a misguided attempt to force the mortals to take on more responsibility and bring them back, if only to close off this type of story.

(Queue new race : Drakonids )

Second...there are all the little incongruities they've added. Things like Gul'dan and Khadgar appearing to know each other, or at least have some sort of relationship.

Third...Blizzard are going to use this XPac as an excuse to ignore the Draenei for another Ten years. The Draenei do NOT need to have the lore and history of an AU version explored....the MU Draenei need their own life, their own history.

Fourth....this utterly ludicrous nonsense about the Twisting Nether brought in apparently only so that we could fight OUR Archimonde. And brought in with thought or care of the ramifications and what everything means. We are in the past in an AU on a different version of Draenor...fighting Archimonde at the time when he is taking over Draenor only to discover he and others either have knowledge of our past, their future or they are our Burning Legion who somehow decided to reenact a plan that doesn't work by travelling back in time and to a different AU.

And so on. Blizzard has created a set up which destroys the suspension of disbelief, removes immersion and overly complicates the story and which provodes absolutely no benefit.

So yes...I would say lore has been damaged. All for a setup which has and can have zero impact on the MU.

Blizzard would have been far better rebuilding the MU Draenor....it even has the seeds there with the Earth Fury quest. But right now, even if we follow Archie to the Nether and kill him there, we're only killing someone who was already dead.

The only way this can all be saved is to undo it somehow...such as making the entire experiece a Nightmare.

EJL
    Last edited by Talen; 2015-07-08 at 03:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    I find it very telling that the lore has been so damaged by this xpac, that there isn't even much speculation about what happened to Gul'dan. Its like the fanbase feels like "Oh, well, he'll just show up later to be fodder for us in some dungeon or raid later on." I mean, we just killed Archimonde, how is saving Gul'dan for later supposed to strike fear (or even interest) in us?
    That portal was to the Nexxus and he will be the main hero in the first HotS expansion

Gul'Dan is basically the Bray Wyatt of Warcraft.
    Acts creepy and gets off on creepy stuff, enjoys giving ominous speeches.
    Ultimately some goof who loses more than he wins

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Letdown View Post
    You're not understanding.
    I think you'll find a lot of people who don't like this lore actually have thought in through and DO understand both it and the ramifications.

If this is our Archie...he has fought the Third War. He's been killed. And then he travels back 30 years and switches dimensions so he can try again. If time doesn't exist....why was he defeated the first time. If time is linear for him, how does he know about the future? If it isn`t...why does he not take steps to ensure his victory.

Further - in an infinity of universes, are we to presume only one Sargeras ever created the Legion? What happened the rest? In an infinity of universes, with an infinity of Archies....where are the rest?

Blizzards entire setup is ludicrous. I can buy there being one Twisted Nether and that it touches all realities. But each reality has its own Archie and Sargeras and KJ and they don't just disappear because someone else in another dimension becomes a demon.

Much simpler would be one TN per reality, each with its own BL and Archie. That would make sense. And then the Void would be the space between realities.

EJL

I really don't care anymore. For one this alternative universe story totally failed to capture my interest, and two it's been a really long time since Blizzard put together a good story. I just expect them to be filled with cliches at this point after Diablo 3, Starcraft 2 and Cata-MoP-WoD.

They've really taken the whole "no one is really dead" to a new level this expansion. They're even worse than Marvel!