Page 1 of 8
... LastLast

omg, screw gamestop.

Traded in something for cash because they didn't have what i wanted. The girl working there tried desperately for 10 minutes to get me to buy things from them. Im just like "no, id just like the cash", and its as if she completely ignored it several times. Now i know I'll get the "well not every gamestop employee is like that", but this particular one the workers have always been like this. Its bordering harassment.

Yeah I hate game stop. A few years ago I went in there to buy some wow game time, the cashier asked me if I wanted to preorder any console games, to which I declined, because PC master race. She then persisted to beg me, multiple times, for over a minute. Since that incident I've never been to anymore video game stores.

10+ Year Old Account
    Go to a different gamestop, try Bestbuy, Target, Walmart or just buy the games directly onto your console/PC.
    "I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids. "
    -
    General Jack D. Ripper.

10+ Year Old Account
    I never go to gamestop, for very similar reasons.

Deleted
    Blame their corporate overlords that don't have to stand in stores

Damn I've never had an experience like that at a gamestop, and you're making me feel rather glad of that.

10+ Year Old Account
    I refuse to go there too for the same reason and its not just one or 2 stores. every Gamestop Ive been to they harass you even when you say up front "I want this game and nothing else, dont offer me anything else". Then comes the do you want to preorder? Do you want to trade in games? Would you like to pick up a few used games for only $5 less than a new copy? Do you want to subscribe to our magazine? Are you a member of our game club? Do you want a scratch protection warranty? and every time you say no, they try again. Last time I walked out without buying anything in the middle of the harassment and never went back. I buy all my games on Amazon now

This is why I go to Best Buy.

I just buy off Amazon.

Just sell it on ebay. Takes a little research and you'll be waiting a good amount of time (A good window for auctioning games/elecontrics would be about 7 days since you want people to come back and get in a bidding war), but you're far better off since you'll probably get at least a 300-400% increase in profit over trading something at gamestop.

Until reading this thread I thought Gamestop was the video game reviews website that I never visit.

The idea of buying physical games is so alien to me.

Never happened to me, in all of my.. wait i have only been there one time

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stonecloak View Post
    Traded in something for cash because they didn't have what i wanted. The girl working there tried desperately for 10 minutes to get me to buy things from them. Im just like "no, id just like the cash", and its as if she completely ignored it several times. Now i know I'll get the "well not every gamestop employee is like that", but this particular one the workers have always been like this. Its bordering harassment.
    Its what they are trained to do. They make more money when the business stays in-store. If the DM or RM is in store and she didn't try to keep your business in-store, she'd probably be fired.

God forbid she does her job. If you can't handle it, take your stuff to a pawn shop instead.
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Stonecloak View Post
    Now i know I'll get the "well not every gamestop employee is like that", but this particular one the workers have always been like this. Its bordering harassment.
    In fact every gamestop employee is like this. It's what they are trained to do. I find it annoying too but by her employers standards she was doing a fine job.

Quote Originally Posted by Form3r View Post
    Blame their corporate overlords that don't have to stand in stores
    pretty much this. Corporate Gamestop is basically where horrible marketing people go when the rest of the corporate world realizes they have no soul.

Employee didn't hit his metrics? Cut their hours. Store didn't hit it's targets? Cut their hours. Missed a cycle count? Cut their hours. Hired a new employee? Cut thier hours. Someone called corporate? Cut thier hours. Annual Review? Give them a $0.05/hour raise, then cut their hours.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Mine isn't like this at all. They will ask you if you want to preorder anything and tell you what is upcoming, but they never push and never ask more than once.

10+ Year Old Account
    Mine usually just push pre-orders. I always respond the same way and they never push it (I ask if it is discounted or if it will be cheaper to pre order than it will be one day one).

As for selling stuff, I always sell on Amazon. I get more money.

10+ Year Old Account
    It sucks but they usually have to at least ask. Most will back off after you reject them once but I've run into a couple who are super persistent and it turns what should be a 2 minute visit into a 10 minute ordeal. But I've been fortunate enough to not have to deal with that on a regular basis.

Actually, the last time I went to Gamestop I bought KH2.5 HD Remix and me, the cashier, and another customer nerded out about Kingdom Hearts for a good 20 minutes. It was a good time.

Usually they try and sell you that bullshit disc "insurance' but I've never had anyone be super pushy.

Find one that isn't too bad, and make it your "Go to" Gamestop, maybe even have idle chats with the employees. It's not the employee's fault at all, they have to do all that, but when you become like a regular and they know you, chances are they'll either stop all together asking you, or they'll just ask once to fulfill the "You have to ask!".

The two Gamestops I go to never pester me, and I haven't ever actually had one pester me. But I have friends that work at Gamestop to hear how terrible it can be, someone already gave a decent list, but some Gamestops will even schedule only one worker for an entire shift, leaving them unable to take a break, although from my understanding that is also because of the corporate side or whatever.