Page 1 of 25
... LastLast

Jeb Bush - Americans need to work longer hours

What an out of touch Asshat. Americans already work more hours than most countries, I think working less hours would make people more productive and less burnt out.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politi...u62?ocid=fbmsn

Former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush said in an interview Wednesday that “people need to work longer hours” to help grow the economy.

According to ABC News, Bush was asked a question about tax reform during an interview live streamed on Periscope, and said he believes the U.S. can achieve 4 percent growth.

The Bush family being completly out of touch with reality isn't exactly new.

10+ Year Old Account
    I really love the rich family-dynasty types telling the little guy he needs to "work harder" in order to achieve some goal that we won't even really benefit from (4% growth).
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

10+ Year Old Account
    We work more hours than any country in the world. We're also the world leader in productivity. We also have some of the highest buying power in the world.

But we also lead the world in stress-related mental disorders thanks to a culture that prioritizes money over everything else.

I work 6 days a week 48 hours and half of those are night shifts the other have are extreme early morning shifts.

I need to work MORE? Go to hell you pampered piece of shit.
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

Wow could that guy be more out of touch!? There have been multiple studies that show that longer hours != more productive. Hell, some people are on the 4/10 hour days and still get the same level of productivity. People need to be working less in this country not more. At the end of the day I don't want my kid to think of his father is a phone because that's the only way he gets to see me during the week.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    We're also the world leader in productivity.
    Except, you're not. You're #5, behind, for example, my country of Finland, where we get 30 paid days off work (plus often an extra holiday cash bonus) every year, as well as a few other countries who spend long vacations.

http://www3.weforum.org/docs/GCR2013...gs_2013-14.pdf

We work more hours than any country in the world. We're also the world leader in productivity. We also have some of the highest buying power in the world.

But we also lead the world in stress-related mental disorders thanks to a culture that prioritizes money over everything else.
    Don't have any numbers but always thought Japan was up there then the US but anyway, you're right. The North-American society (not just the US) is completly obsessed with productivity and rentability already.

Would be nice if he didn't invent problems that don't even exist and would actually think of solutions for the ones that do, example unemployement due to american companies moving or outsourcing their production activities to other countries.

This should help him get votes!

We work more hours than any country in the world.
    Nope.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/niallmcc...infographic-3/
    https://stats.oecd.org/Index.aspx?DataSetCode=ANHRS

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    Except, you're not. You're #5, behind, for example, my country of Finland, where we get 30 paid days off work (plus often an extra holiday cash bonus) every year, as well as a few other countries who spend long vacations.

http://www3.weforum.org/docs/GCR2013...gs_2013-14.pdf
    Well, my data came from the 2006 UN's ILO report that had us at the top per person

Washington Post wrote he later clarified:

"If we’re going to grow the economy people need to stop being part-time workers, they need to be having access to greater opportunities to work," he told reporters

He faulted the Obama administration and congressional Democrats for enacting a series of policies that have made it harder for businesses to create jobs and for Americans to work longer hours.

I'm thinking he said that to get in the newspapers, to get his name out there. Then he just does jazz hands and says that's not what he meant.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

7+ Year Old Account
    The average full time worker in a production related job usually works 8hrs a day in the US. Anything above 8.5-9hr work days reduces the overall level of worker moral and efficiency. I do not have any solid data to back this up its just my personal experience as a former production worker and as human resources for my work place.

Florida Man for president!

Quote Originally Posted by Vago View Post
    This should help him get votes!
    Between him and the clown that is Donald Trump, i don't think Hillary Clinton has much to worry about.

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    I remember that long ago my country introduced the 40-hour work week based on the whole, '8 hours of rest, 8 hours of work, 8 hours of sleep'. Obviously, you won't get 8 hours of rest.
    But Jeb Bush should move to Japan, he'd love the work ethic they have. That it might be the case of the hikkimori/shut-in problem they have it beside the point, its all about the money for the big businesses!

Isen't that Japan?

There are plenty of articles out there that show a correlation between shorter working hours and better productivity because you're not living life completely burned out.

I can't believe anyone would seriously consider putting another Bush in office. I, personally, will never forgive his family for sending my friends and family into Iraq.

Clickbait. His comment stems from wanting to see a higher participation rate in the workforce, not "hurrrrr 40 hours a week is lazy". Shit, he even admits that its not the be-all-end-all solution to economic woes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilrak View Post
    I remember that long ago my country introduced the 40-hour work week based on the whole, '8 hours of rest, 8 hours of work, 8 hours of sleep'. Obviously, you won't get 8 hours of rest.
    But Jeb Bush should move to Japan, he'd love the work ethic they have. That it might be the case of the hikkimori/shut-in problem they have it beside the point, its all about the money for the big businesses!

Isen't that Japan?
    I don't think it honestly matters who leads it. We definitely suffer from a great deal of stress-related disorders.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    The average full time worker in a production related job usually works 8hrs a day in the US. Anything above 8.5-9hr work days reduces the overall level of worker moral and efficiency. I do not have any solid data to back this up its just my personal experience as a former production worker and as human resources for my work place.
    The length of a typical work day doesn't bother me nearly as much as the amount of days we're expected to work in a week. I'd much rather work longer hours per day and have more days off.