Disc priest help (level 73)

I recently got my priest restored who I leveled as Shadow and I've since gone Disc on her in order to level up through dungeons and healing. Back in Vanilla days when I was last healing on a Priest I was shielding, and using renew as my heal over time, making sure it's on the tank all the time etc.

My experience today has been mainly shield the tank and throw a penance when he needs healing. Do disc priests not have a heal over time effect? or am I just making sure my shield is on the tank at all times?

Deleted
    They removed renew from disc and on lvl 38 you get atonement where you heal people through dpsing: http://www.wowhead.com/spell=81749/atonement and with this you can also stack Evangelism and pop AA for more healing if needed. If the tank or other players start taking more damage just shield and use your heals (penance/flash heal/heal/poh).
    Last edited by mmoc5829d1e13c; 2015-07-10 at 04:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by agli View Post
    I recently got my priest restored who I leveled as Shadow and I've since gone Disc on her in order to level up through dungeons and healing. Back in Vanilla days when I was last healing on a Priest I was shielding, and using renew as my heal over time, making sure it's on the tank all the time etc.

My experience today has been mainly shield the tank and throw a penance when he needs healing. Do disc priests not have a heal over time effect? or am I just making sure my shield is on the tank at all times?
    Having just leveled a resto druid from 1-100 in the last couple weeks, I recall the level 73-ish range (Wrath 5 mans) as being the first time I began noticing I could OOM.

I'd say mostly use flash heal on the tank for healing if PWS is already on the tank and Penance is on CD. As you get to level 80-ish, mana becomes even more of an issue and you'll start transitioning to using heal more (gauge it for yourself based on mana consumption). In 5 mans, it's always good to throw out a prayer of mending on the tank before the pull as well.

For group healing, Prayer if Healing is a very good spell in 5mans. Just keep an eye on your mana as it is also an expensive one. When you get your level 90 talent, I'd take Halo as it seems far more effective in 5 man content than cascade (which you'll want to switch to for raiding).
    I wouldn't use atonement healing unless there is little to heal. It's very weak now and it will get you into bad habits.
    "I don't always play my warlock, but when I do, I prefer destruction."
    - The Most Interesting Player in the World . . . of Warcraft