problems with aoe as destro

Hello,

I played my destro-wl in previous expansions only in lfr as my main was a elemental shaman.
    I am doing very well in single target encounters, but in cleave and aoe fights , like first boss in the new raid, I do suck pretty hard.
    I am no good mouse clicker and it is extremely difficult for me to coordinate the perfect use of fire and brimstone and havoc
    I play with GoSup, AD and CR.

As I am pretty unexperienced with my wl, what is easier to play in aoe / cleave fights:
    1) destro or affliction?
    2) how does an affli deal with all those low hp adds?

Greetings
    Kigama

1.) Destro in general is a simple spec, especially after they made Rain of Fire obsolete(only worth using when moving). Affliction requires more thought and buff baby-sitting.

2.) Depends on how long they live, usually you just don't bother AoEing as Affli(eg. Dragoon pack spawns on Hellfire Assault).

10+ Year Old Account
    Then stop being no good mouse clicker - the prime requirement for Destruction is fast reactions with key abilities. Spec is not difficult, but being fast with those abilities is everything.

We do not have 1 second GCD for nothing, if you are going to be clicking Havoc, F&B and Shadowburn - may as well forget about Destruction and save yourself trouble.

You don't need to bind much - really all you need to have in your bindings is 1,2,3,4,q,e,x and their Shift versions (put shift on side mouse button) and this all bindings you need to effectively play Destruction. Heck can do even with half of those, just double checked - I could play Destruction optimally with just 1,2,3,4,e,q and Shift+2,3,4,q - just ten keybinds all the rest is just situational fluff- surely you can learn to deal with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    Then stop being no good mouse clicker - the prime requirement for Destruction is fast reactions with key abilities. Spec is not difficult, but being fast with those abilities is everything.

No good clicker here you are right on that part but your not supplying any help.

The problem here is you are not playing GoSac which is the goto Destro talent.

It provides 25% more dmg to your spells that scale with mastery also.

25% more AOE chaos bolt dmg is a major difference.

That and shadowburn sniping, there is no point in havocing mobs unless there is a siege vehicle they die so fast its a global waste

Havoc only uses half a global. So even if you only get a single Shadowburn through with the Havoc it was already worth it. The gain is minor, though, and just sniping all low HP mobs with Shadowburn is much easier. Use a mouseover macro, a decent nameplate addon (that shows health percentages) and of course keybinds for that.

Quote Originally Posted by squee666 View Post
    GoSac specifically says right on the talent that it doesn't affect spells modified by Fire and Brimstone.

Also, if someone is struggling with Havoc telling them to go GoSac is absolutely not going to magically make their DPS skyrocket. It just doesn't work that way. GoSac's tradeoff is that you become responsible for 100% of your damage, and if you're bad at that part (for whatever reason!) it won't be nearly as attractive.

10+ Year Old Account
    No good clicker here you are right on that part but your not supplying any help.

The problem here is you are not playing GoSac which is the goto Destro talent.

It provides 25% more dmg to your spells that scale with mastery also.

That and shadowburn sniping, there is no point in havocing mobs unless there is a siege vehicle they die so fast its a global waste
    I think I actually supplied the most help there, also, GoSac does not affect spells casted with F&B in any way.

I can't imagine a person being good at Destruction of he clicks abilities. Keybinds are critical.

Even if you can get 1 shadowburn instead of the 3 you can get with havoc, it's worth it. You just spend 1 ember on 2 shadowburns, worth. Besides if you are refering to assault, theres a lot more than just sieges that you can havoc. Berserkers and transformed casters need some havocing aswell.

Quote Originally Posted by Nevalus View Post
    Even if you can get 1 shadowburn instead of the 3 you can get with havoc, it's worth it. You just spend 1 ember on 2 shadowburns, worth. Besides if you are refering to assault, theres a lot more than just sieges that you can havoc. Berserkers and transformed casters need some havocing aswell.
    Havocing Shadowburns is only really better than a Chaos Bolt if you're able to get two Shadowburns to be cleaved. Otherwise it'll be better to just Chaos Bolt, especially with t18 set bonuses.

Quote Originally Posted by Brusalk View Post
    Havocing Shadowburns is only really better than a Chaos Bolt if you're able to get two Shadowburns to be cleaved. Otherwise it'll be better to just Chaos Bolt, especially with t18 set bonuses.
    Except you get embers back if you shadowburn? If you only have time to shadowburn once, you cant cb and still shadowburn the target for the extra embers.

Quote Originally Posted by Nevalus View Post
    Except you get embers back if you shadowburn? If you only have time to shadowburn once, you cant cb and still shadowburn the target for the extra embers.
    My point isn't as much for when you are playing correctly, but instead salvaging mistakes. For example, say you accidentally apply Havoc to a mob that will die soon-ish, and there's a long living mob also sub 20% that you could cleave Shadowburns from. Cleaving a Shadowburn from the long living mob won't generate embers with the cleaved mob unless you get the actual killing blow. In this case it'd be better to cleave a Chaos Bolt onto the low health mob as you'll get ~1.5 Shadowburns worth of damage in on the mob, and be able to Shadowburn for ember generation on the low health mob.

My point isn't as much for when you are playing correctly, but instead salvaging mistakes. For example, say you accidentally apply Havoc to a mob that will die soon-ish, and there's a long living mob also sub 20% that you could cleave Shadowburns from. Cleaving a Shadowburn from the long living mob won't generate embers with the cleaved mob unless you get the actual killing blow. In this case it'd be better to cleave a Chaos Bolt onto the low health mob as you'll get ~1.5 Shadowburns worth of damage in on the mob, and be able to Shadowburn for ember generation on the low health mob.
    I guess it depends on the situation. I personally wouldn't take the risk of chaos bolting in case the mob you put Havoc on might die before the chaos bolt reaches him, in which case a shadowburn would have been better. If the mob lives long enough to receive a chaos bolt, you would probably have the time to shadowburn twice anyway.

10+ Year Old Account
    If the mob is going to die soon you don't gamble with 2 second cast + another 1 second+ of travel time. Usually you do manage to score killing blow in this case and even if not it is a very minor loss as opposed to gambling on a slow Chaos Bolt to hit that add.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    If the mob is going to die soon you don't gamble with 2 second cast + another 1 second+ of travel time. Usually you do manage to score killing blow in this case and even if not it is a very minor loss as opposed to gambling on a slow Chaos Bolt to hit that add.
    Sorry, it was late and I didn't clarify the whole situation as I was imagining it.

You have two full embers available, and the soon-ish mob is dying slow enough that the Chaos Bolt + Shadowburn is viable. If you were to cleave Shadowburns instead you wouldn't have time to generate up. It's a niche situation for sure, but it could happen.

You are both correct though that in general just using it for Shadowburn would be better. That said, you shouldn't delay casting Havoc to guarantee that you'll get Shadowburns over a Chaos Bolt.

10+ Year Old Account
    For the OP

This may just confuse you more and some ppl may not like my keybindings, but I have tried alot of different ones over the years...this is what I use

~ = rain of fire
    1 = pet command (ie spell lock etc)
    2 = sac pact
    3 = unending resolve (unless glyphed)
    Q = immolate
    E = conflag
    R = ember tap (don't ask)
    Z = Incin
    X = chaos bolt
    Caps lock = shadowburn
    Mouse button 1 = havoc macro
    Mouse button 2 = fire and brimstone
    Alt+q = potion
    Alt+e = dark soul
    Alt+d = grimorie of service
    Alt+r = (on use trinket if applicable)
    Alt+1 = teleport
    Alt+~ = shadowfury
    F = fear

I will admit I still click a few things but almost everything that is crucial is bound, you may not like my bindings, but trust me I used to click alot until WoD, and now I'm a better lock from PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE!!!!!!
    GL TO YA

Quote Originally Posted by Deimosphobos View Post
    For the OP

This may just confuse you more and some ppl may not like my keybindings, but I have tried alot of different ones over the years...this is what I use

~ = rain of fire
    1 = pet command (ie spell lock etc)
    2 = sac pact
    3 = unending resolve (unless glyphed)
    Q = immolate
    E = conflag
    R = ember tap (don't ask)
    Z = Incin
    X = chaos bolt
    Caps lock = shadowburn
    Mouse button 1 = havoc macro
    Mouse button 2 = fire and brimstone
    Alt+q = potion
    Alt+e = dark soul
    Alt+d = grimorie of service
    Alt+r = (on use trinket if applicable)
    Alt+1 = teleport
    Alt+~ = shadowfury
    F = fear

I will admit I still click a few things but almost everything that is crucial is bound, you may not like my bindings, but trust me I used to click alot until WoD, and now I'm a better lock from PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE!!!!!!
    GL TO YA
    Z and X for main spells? My pinky I personally just use 1 through 6 and then modifiers for those for the rest. Sidebuttons on mouse for stuff like havoc and shadowburn for super quick access.