Thread: SSD failed?

SSD failed?

I have a somewhat unique problem I've never seen before and makes no sense to me.

Today I woke up turned my computer on and everything was fine.

Went afk to cook for my mothers birthday and came back nearly 9 hours later to black screens.

I turned the computer off and turned it back on and was stuck at the Windows 10 logo screen with a spinny wheel.

Did this multiple times hoping it would fix but with no success.

I inserted a windows installation disc in an attempt to reformat my computer but it would not allow me to boot from disc. It would just get stuck like when trying to boot from desktop.

I managed to get to that blue windows troubleshooting / restore / reformat screen but no options would work at all (not the screen from the disc).

Anyways I went on the internet on my phone to google a bit and read something about someone having a similar issue and ssds failing.

So I messed around inside my computer for a little bit and unplugged my 512 gb ssd and tried booting again. I booted successfully to my desktop with just 1 250gb ssd (which has my OS on it). So I tried again with the 512 gb ssd in aswell. It did not work. Kept hanging on the windows logo screen with the spinny wheel. So I ran downstairs and found a 2 terabyte harddrive and exchanged places with the 512 gb ssd. And was able to boot to my desktop again.

Now I'm confused. How come i can't boot to my desktop if my OS isn't on the ssd that is failing Has the 512gb ssd even failed or is there just something messed up with it and needs formating?

One last thing, I tried removing the 250 gb ssd and only using the 512gb ssd and the bios would not show it in the boot options if I remember correctly. But it never showed it in the boot options i don't believe. I could be completely wrong I honestly can't recall.

Anyone have any ideas?

this is NOT a new computer build either. I've had this working fine for 2 years now.
    Last edited by Traxex9080; 2015-07-13 at 03:25 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Traxex9080 View Post
    I have a somewhat unique problem I've never seen before and makes no sense to me.

Today I woke up turned my computer on and everything was fine.

Went afk to cook for my mothers birthday and came back nearly 9 hours later to black screens.

I turned the computer off and turned it back on and was stuck at the Windows 10 logo screen with a spinny wheel.

Did this multiple times hoping it would fix but with no success.

I inserted a windows installation disc in an attempt to reformat my computer but it would not allow me to boot from disc. It would just get stuck like when trying to boot from desktop.

I managed to get to a windows restore screen after it failed to fix any problems windows was having and was unable to restore from backup or reformat the computer. It basically said no you can't do that.

Anyways I went on the internet on my phone to google a bit and read something about someone having a similar issue and ssds failing.

So I messed around inside my computer for a little bit and unplugged my 512 gb ssd and tried booting again. I booted successfully to my desktop with just 1 250gb ssd (which has my OS on it). So I tried again with the 512 gb ssd in aswell. It did not work. Kept hanging on the windows logo screen with the spinny wheel. So I ran downstairs and found a 2 terabyte harddrive and exchanged places with the 512 gb ssd. And was able to boot to my desktop again.

Now I'm confused. How come i can't boot to my desktop if my OS isn't on the ssd that is failing Has the 512gb ssd even failed or is there just something messed up with it?

One last thing, I tried removing the 250 gb ssd and only using the 512gb ssd and the bios would not show it in the boot options if I remember correctly. But it never showed it in the boot options i don't believe. I could be completely wrong I honestly can't recall.

Anyone have any ideas?
    Do you have the non working SSD loading before the one with your OS? Look in your BIOS I had this same thing happen to me

Quote Originally Posted by Ieatsouls View Post
    Do you have the non working SSD loading before the one with your OS? Look in your BIOS I had this same thing happen to me
    That makes sense but I don't believe I did. Plus I haven't entered the bios on this computer in a year so I don't really know how it would have changed.

It only shows 3 boot options in my bios. one samsung ssd (i have 2) an asus dvd rom i think and something else that I don't know what it is. But I'm 99% sure the samsung ssd was listed first. I'm unsure if it was the one without my operation system on it but only one was showing so i'm not sure.

When I tried connecting just the 512gb ssd it would not show up in my boot list.

I do have another computer I can try it in so I think i'll try that to see if it gets detected or not.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Traxex9080 View Post
    That makes sense but I don't believe I did. Plus I haven't entered the bios on this computer in a year so I don't really know how it would have changed.

It only shows 3 boot options in my bios. one samsung ssd (i have 2) an asus dvd rom i think and something else that I don't know what it is. But I'm 99% sure the samsung ssd was listed first. I'm unsure if it was the one without my operation system on it but only one was showing so i'm not sure.

When I tried connecting just the 512gb ssd it would not show up in my boot list.

I do have another computer I can try it in so I think i'll try that to see if it gets detected or not.

well I think I just confirmed it. Plugged 512gb ssd into a different computer and it was not being detected in the bios. Think it's fried.
    Last edited by Traxex9080; 2015-07-13 at 03:33 AM.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Sounds like time for warranty replacement!

perhaps i have encountered the same problem with you. it's my sister's notebook. When turn on, it stuck at windows 7 logo. I tried to reinstall the system, but it turn to back screen at the third step. Then i am sure it's the problem of the hard drive. What have done is to format the hard drive and repartition it with Aomei partition assistant in my bootable USB. Then the reinstall process was done successfully.