Thread: Broken GPU?

10+ Year Old Account

Exclamation Broken GPU?

So I bought a Leadtek GTX560 2GB back in 2011, replacing a Leadtek GTS250 1GB.
    Now last Thursday I suddenly got some artifacts just when I entered GTA5. Restarted PC and game, problem went away.
    Friday had no issues.
    Saturday, from the first PC startup, the problem came back... this time I couldn't get rid of it after a dozen restarts,
    and there were artifacts in Windows itself.
    Is there something physically wrong with it? I cannot afford a new one (GTX960), and the GTS250 sucks.

Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings.
    To resist the influence of others, knowledge of oneself is most important.

You can try uninstalling and re-installing the drivers, but that probably won't help. I believe your GPU is toast. Sorry.

- - - Updated - - -

And after you took it apart, did you re-apply thermal paste for the processor?
    In a world of deceit, open your eyes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GGA1759 View Post
    You can try uninstalling and re-installing the drivers, but that probably won't help. I believe your GPU is toast. Sorry.

- - - Updated - - -

And after you took it apart, did you re-apply thermal paste for the processor?
    Of course.
    And I tried the driver thing as well, even though I haven't touched it before.
    In my 12 years of owning a PC, I've never had an internal component just fail for no reason. Makes no sense.

Makes plenty of sense. Nothing lasts forever, some things last longer than others.

- - - Updated - - -

You can also try re-seating the components by using a heat gun over the board for about 10 mins to heat up the solder and let it re-solidify. May be a loose connection. But again, I think it's toast.

7+ Year Old Account
    Fermi (5xx) cards were known for running very hot, so it isn't really surprising that one would die after this long.

Personally, I'm surprised you went 12 years without a single failed component.

You can also try installing a lower revision of the driver, just in case the new version caused an issue with your system. I doubt this will work, but it's worth a shot. It sounds like it's just fried.

10+ Year Old Account
    The card is old, 4 years is a good life span for a fermi GPU, you got lucky. Parts break down, just how it is, GPUs tend to die first with age.

Anyways why does the replacement need to be a 960? You can get a 750 or TI for half the price and it is still better than your 560 was.

my Geforce 7950GT had the same problem. Artifacts that tinted the screen red from one day to another. I didn't research much but I guess your GPU is failing you =/

Also: Who the heck is Leadtek?

Edit: I don't know who Leadtek is, but they don't actively cool VRAM, that tells enough about them
    Last edited by Karon; 2015-07-13 at 05:11 PM.

You can get a GTX960 for $200 or a GTX750 for $99...Personally, pay the extra $100 and get a GTX960

put it in the oven

Quote Originally Posted by Vargur View Post
    Of course.
    And I tried the driver thing as well, even though I haven't touched it before.
    In my 12 years of owning a PC, I've never had an internal component just fail for no reason. Makes no sense.
    Makes total sense, you are running a really old GPU that was considered entry level at the time of release and trying to run one of the most demanding games currently out on it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    Makes total sense, you are running a really old GPU that was considered entry level at the time of release and trying to run one of the most demanding games currently out on it.
    I played it just fine at launch. What really heated it was The Talos Principle, if heat was really a factor in its demise.
    And it was mid range in 2011. I ran any game you can think of without issue, obviously not at "4K epic" settings.

Quote Originally Posted by Karon View Post
    my Geforce 7950GT had the same problem. Artifacts that tinted the screen red from one day to another. I didn't research much but I guess your GPU is failing you =/

Also: Who the heck is Leadtek?

Edit: I don't know who Leadtek is, but they don't actively cool VRAM, that tells enough about them

Leadtek Research, Inc. is a Taiwanese company, founded in 1986, which focuses on research and development that is specialized in the design and manufacture of graphics cards

Anyway, thanks....

Quote Originally Posted by Aori View Post
    The card is old, 4 years is a good life span for a fermi GPU, you got lucky. Parts break down, just how it is, GPUs tend to die first with age.

Anyways why does the replacement need to be a 960? You can get a 750 or TI for half the price and it is still better than your 560 was.
    Series 900 is DX12, 700 isn't. Plus I buy components to last me years, not waste of money sidegrades.

Quote Originally Posted by Vargur View Post
    I played it just fine at launch. What really heated it was The Talos Principle, if heat was really a factor in its demise.
    And it was mid range in 2011. I ran any game you can think of without issue, obviously not at "4K epic" settings.
    It was a mid-range card, which means low end gaming graphics. The GT550 is not a gaming card, the x50 never are, the GTX560 is the first in the line of the cards meant for gaming. It's a low end gaming card because the Card right before it does not have the X and is not a gaming card. I do not recall if there was a 550ti, if so, that is the one card lower than it that is still a gaming card from that generation.

The fact that it ran it fine at launch means nothing. If you buy a new car, it'll run at max speed just fine right after you buy it. You run it that way all the time though and it's going to break. Same thing with a GPU. You run it at it's limit, it's gonna start having issues. It's an older low-end gaming graphics card. You try to run some of the most demanding games on the market it's gonna wear out faster.

Certainly looks broken. RAM can just break, and when it does you just have to replace it. On a GPU, this means replacing the whole thing, but fortunately you can get the same performance from a GTX 750. Just go for that if money is the issue.

Btw, DX12 will work with everything from the 400 series onwards iirc. I think with AMD it has to be GCN which was 7000 series onwards. The internals of graphics cards has not changed for some time. Only difference is the amount and speed of things.
    Last edited by Blackmist; 2015-07-14 at 03:43 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Got some money, bought http://www.asus.com/Graphics-Cards/S...4GD5/overview/ after all.