Page 1 of 23
... LastLast

Durotan says "Our planet is dying, we need food and water" in Warcraft movie

I guess they couldn't portray the orcs as an evil alien race hellbent on conquest and destruction. I bet the orcs will be portrayed as green heroes.

This movie is going to suck.

10+ Year Old Account
    It adds depth.
    The shadowy Daughter of Urthona stood before red Orc,
    When fourteen suns had faintly journey'd o'er his dark abode:
    His food she brought in iron baskets, his drink in cups of iron:
    Crown'd with a helmet and dark hair the nameless female stood;

Better than humans saving the day for the millionth time.

Deleted
    Your logic is undiniable, its so solid that I will definetly agree with it.
    Please mate, do us all a favor and leave the forum.
    Its not going to stuck because you hear 1 line out of context without knowing what is going on.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by JustRob View Post
    I guess they couldn't portray the orcs as an evil alien race hellbent on conquest and destruction. I bet the orcs will be portrayed as green heroes.

So they are following the lore, Durotan never cared about conquest and destruction, that's Gul'dan and his Shadow Council.

Exactly what I expected when they said they wanted it to be portraying both sides equally. It was always going to involve some dumb tinkering with the details to provide the least Warcraft 1-ish version of Warcraft 1's story possible.

10+ Year Old Account

This complaining is getting old real fast. If you knew the lore, then you'd know that the orcs weren't 'evil'. They were shamanistic and lived alongside the Dranei for a long while, until they drank the demon blood which drove them insane and led to the Dranei genocide along with their conquering of Azeroth. There were a few Orcs including Durotan that had a huge problem with it, and ended up getting killed.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Depends what part it takes place in.

I have no idea what to expect with the movie, but like any movie it's not going to follow the story to a tee, but at least borrow from the franchise in question. Honestly, that's probably the best idea anyways considering how large Warcraft lore is, and how much of a fucking mess it's in. I don't expect it to follow the original, mostly because it's probably impossible, wouldn't be great to watch (needs more than just people who know Warcraft to watch) and it's fairly unrealistic.

However, Durotan saying that their planet is dying and the need food and water (without knowing the full context) really isn't that far fetched. While orcs invaded Azeroth initially (for other reasons), the majority of the Frostwolf clan did not. It's not entirely out of character, or without reason that he would claim that they need to leave their planet, for resources. Why? Draenor basically starts dying when they sever their ties with the elements and succumb to warlock magic, essentially corrupting the land and tearing it to pieces.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Depends what part it takes place in.

I have no idea what to expect with the movie, but like any movie it's not going to follow the story to a tee, but at least borrow from the franchise in question. Honestly, that's probably the best idea anyways considering how large Warcraft lore is, and how much of a fucking mess it's in. I don't expect it to follow the original, mostly because it's probably impossible, wouldn't be great to watch (needs more than just people who know Warcraft to watch) and it's fairly unrealistic.

However, Durotan saying that their planet is dying and the need food and water (without knowing the full context) really isn't that far fetched. While orcs invaded Azeroth initially (for other reasons), the majority of the Frostwolf clan did not. It's not entirely out of character, or without reason that he would claim that they need to leave their planet, for resources. Why? Draenor basically starts dying when they sever their ties with the elements and succumb to warlock magic, essentially corrupting the land and tearing it to pieces.
    It's exactly like the Rise of the Horde novel.

at least he knows what planet is. he is a tribal warchief after all

Quote Originally Posted by Pwnslaught View Post
    This complaining is getting old real fast. If you knew the lore, then you'd know that the orcs weren't 'evil'. They were shamanistic and lived alongside the Dranei for a long while, until they drank the demon blood which drove them insane and led to the Dranei genocide along with their conquering of Azeroth. There were a few Orcs including Durotan that had a huge problem with it, and ended up getting killed.
    Except the orcs chose to drink the blood, they chose to invade Azeroth and slaughter innocent women and children. There was no mind control at work here, just bloodlust.

Deleted
    Except the orcs chose to drink the blood, they chose to invade Azeroth and slaughter innocent women and children. There was no mind control at work here, just bloodlust.
    Except Gul'dan choose for them. The Horde invaded because of the hunger and the bloodlust.

Durotan never drunk the blood.

Well the original line was 'Not enough food... build more farms.'

10+ Year Old Account
    Wasn't Warcraft always about portraying Orcs as more than mindless brutes / generic ugly enemies?

10+ Year Old Account
    Uh no, Kil'Jaedan orchestrated the whole thing using Gul'Dan as a tool, including the invasion of Azeroth via Sargeras using Medivh.

Deleted
    None of this new information contradicts established lore. Draenor was dying at this point due to demonic corruption. The Frostwolves where the least keen on the whole "slaughter the Draenei" thing and I expect they will make it so in the film canon the Frostwolves weren't involved in that all. Our Orc protagonists will be the Frostwolves - Durotan, Draka and Orgrim, who are forced to join Blackhand and Gul'dan's horde to find a new home.

Uh no, Kil'Jaedan orchestrated the whole thing using Gul'Dan as a tool, including the invasion of Azeroth via Sargeras using Medivh.
    The orcs were used, but not controlled. They were offered a great power, they were offered glory and they were offered enemies better than themselves. They willingly accepted, save for a few ones like Durotan.

The bloodlust came after, and it still wasn't mind control.

Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    Wasn't Warcraft always about portraying Orcs as more than mindless brutes / generic ugly enemies?
    The point is that the orcs' reason for invading Azeroth was because they wanted to conquer a fresh new planet. Now it seems like that reason is being changed to "oh noes our planet is dying so we have no other choice than to invade another planet, it's not our fault because those evil humans started attacking us"

They could have refused. They could have turned the offer down. But they wanted more power, they wanted to conquer.

Deleted
    Also, if they'd played up the "Orcs are evil invaders" thing too much, it would seem too similar to Lotr. By focusing things immediately on the good Orcs, they play up that unique aspect of the story.

The point is that the orcs' reason for invading Azeroth was because they wanted to conquer a fresh new planet. Now it seems like that reason is being changed to "oh noes our planet is dying so we have no other choice than to invade another planet, it's not our fault because those evil humans started attacking us"
    But that's Durotan's reason, not Blackhand's.

Durotan needs to find a place safe for his family, and Draenor isn't safe anymore. Blackhand wants to bash some human skulls in. Both characters have always been like that.