Page 31 of 33 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by vastx View Post
    Well there you go. It's not a "racist parade" as your title says.
    You even left the context in the quote. You should read the rest.

10+ Year Old Account
    Corrected. I've commented on so many sites and shit over the past few weeks. I should of just blogged everything (but I dont blog). I admit that Southerners have to own the slavery issue. No slavery, no war. But I also realize it wasn't so simple as North = slavery bad, South = love slavery.
    No maybe not that simple but even in this very thread there are people claiming the civil war was not fought over slavery. Other issues as well I realize this but slavery is kind of at the top of that list. Hell even if it was at the bottom you can't just ignore it

Corrected. I've commented on so many sites and shit over the past few weeks. I should of just blogged everything (but I dont blog). I admit that Southerners have to own the slavery issue. No slavery, no war. But I also realize it wasn't so simple as North = slavery bad, South = love slavery.
    Yea it was about Lincoln running on preventing the expansion of slavery in new states which would spell the eventual end of slavery in the nation as the balance of power shifted and winning.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dugraka View Post
    No maybe not that simple but even in this very thread there are people claiming the civil war was not fought over slavery. Other issues as well I realize this but slavery is kind of at the top of that list. Hell even if it was at the bottom you can't just ignore it
    I see the same stuff on my fb timeline. It's maddening. The South could have stayed in the Union with no war and kept slavery. But the regions had fractured. Bad marriage.

You can't ignore it yes. But I also wish people would remember that we're dealing with people of a different age. Western Civilization at the time had come to a crossroads with the issue of slavery. In the end, the South was on the wrong side of history.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Xeones View Post
    You even left the context in the quote. You should read the rest.
    Yeah and I have empathy for people who rightfully have an issue with it. Which is why I agree that it shouldn't be on the grounds of any state capitol. But that's about the extent of it. But where do we draw the line on curtailing to the offended? No matter their background?

Slavery is basically the only item on the list.

You can look at the articles of secession themselves where they make it clear slavery is why they are seceding. The north would frequently refuse to enforce the fugitive slave act and Lincoln who ran on preventing the expansion of slavery in new states (meaning all new states would be 'free' states) had become president despite not winning a single southern state.

They decided to leave. Then if you are still unsure you can look at the vice president of the confederacy and his cornerstone speech https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cornerstone_Speech

Our new Government is founded upon exactly the opposite ideas; its foundations are laid, its cornerstone rests, upon the great truth that the negro is not equal to the white man; that slavery, subordination to the superior race, is his natural and normal condition.
    The war itself was technically fought over treason, but make no doubt about it anyone claiming slavery wasn't the central issue is either completely ignorant of the facts or a monstrous liar. The writing was on the wall and slavery would have eventually ended peacefully in a few decades, but the south forced the issue and lost.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah and I have empathy for people who rightfully have an issue with it. Which is why I agree that it shouldn't be on the grounds of any state capitol. But that's about the extent of it. But where do we draw the line on curtailing to the offended? No matter their background?
    I think the issue here is that people that are for the flag just can't accept that people will not tolerate it and will most definitely be giving you some shit for it. They think free speech is protection from individuals reactions to seeing a symbol of racism and hate. The only protection you have in this case would be not being assaulted which of course is the right thing. Nobody should be killed or assaulted over opinions, just don't be shocked when you aren't welcome in a town.

10+ Year Old Account
    What? A black neighborhood does not like racist parades? Well what in tarnation! next your gonna tell me the sky is not yellow!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    What? A black neighborhood does not like racist parades? Well what in tarnation! next your gonna tell me the sky is not yellow!
    So if 90% of the people in the parade aren't racist, the entire parade is racist because of a flag?

10+ Year Old Account
    So if 90% of the people in the parade aren't racist, the entire parade is racist because of a flag?
    I read the title stopped there

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeta333 View Post
    Im againt the confederate flag but for a different reason, I think after the failed civil war the union should have stomped out and outlawed all symbols of the failed rebellion, they shouldnt have allowed the former confederates to still proudly fly the flags and uniforms. All of it should have been ground to dust to show what happens when you rebel.
    I think that would make it even fucking worse, horrible idea.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

If they aren't racist why did they feel the need to parade it through a black town?

Quote Originally Posted by Lolretadin View Post
    Yes, because the world needs more instances of people being jailed for "hate speech" when they make satirical cartoons of Israel, as happens in France.
    Don't bother, there is a middle ground to be found, but the radical you're responding to is too far gone. He's blind.
    I think I've had enough of removing avatars today that feature girls covered in semen. Closing.
    -Darsithis

10+ Year Old Account
    If they aren't racist why did they feel the need to parade it through a black town?
    What makes you think they did so to only to offend?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta333 View Post
    Im againt the confederate flag but for a different reason, I think after the failed civil war the union should have stomped out and outlawed all symbols of the failed rebellion, they shouldnt have allowed the former confederates to still proudly fly the flags and uniforms. All of it should have been ground to dust to show what happens when you rebel.
    Because if that were to have happened, 1865-1867 or so (in my limited opinion) would have been very very ugly. Most people were glad the war was finally over. I think this post from the New York World in 1865 is very interesting. Not every Northerner shared the writer's view.

edit - Not showing the image. Here's a link http://imgur.com/OWZQNj6

the response was predictable, but seriously just roll your eyes or laugh your ass off at them. It's the only reaction they deserve.

You cannot just tell minority groups to stop thinking of the flag in a negative fashion when their grandparents were being beaten and drug through the streets having to see that shitstain of a flag being waved around. Just as you wouldn't tell a Jewish holocaust victim that the swastika doesn't mean anything anymore
    Quote Originally Posted by Garnier Fructis View Post
    Old things can be given new meanings. You're sidestepping what the flag means now by pointing at what the flag meant in its original context.

You're right old things can be given new meanings. The confed flag no longer represents the ideas of a nation long gone and never coming back. Why not give that old thing a better more useful meaning. I see it as a thing of overcoming what could have been assimilated into a nation that defeated its old purpose and rewrote it as a sign of freedom and acceptance that shows that even though things happened we move on and look forward. There meaning changed you can now accept that the flag no longer represents slavery.

Swastikas were a symbol of peace before nazis and is still used as such and always will be. people keep focusing on the past they are going to ruin their future people got up in arms over the NSA for taking precautions against terrorists and people claimed loss of freedom. How is that any different now? Remove a flag today and tomorrow we could be thrown in jail for wearing matching colors to that of the flag under claim of wanting to be racist. People need to grow up and see that things are different.

- - - Updated - - -

What a joke. The "civ" that used it still exists. That flag was not one of the 3 flags used by the confederacy. The Northern Virginia Battle Flag was picked up in the 50's by racists to become a unifying signal of their opposition to the civil rights movement.

The majority see it as a sign of racism, so the opinion of your minority that uses it gets overruled by your own argument.
    the CSA still exists? Where?
    WORLD POPULATION
    U.S pop 318.2 million,Mexico pop 122.3 million ,Russia 143.5 million S.K 50.22 million China 1.357 billion ,United Kingdom 64.1 million, Europe "as a whole" 742.5 million, Canada 35.16 million, South America 387.5 million,Africa 1.111 billion , Middle east 205 Million , Asia "not counting china" 3.009 B ,Greenland 56k,, Iceland 323k, S/N pole 1k-5k/2k

10+ Year Old Account
    What makes you think they did so to only to offend?
    You couldn't have wrote that with a straight face.

Oh I'm going to take a highly controversial symbol and fly it in the neighbor of people who are most bothered by it. Nope, I have absolutely no intention to offend anyone at all.

On-topic

I find it pretty hypocritical to chastise the residents because the procession has their freeze peach. First and foremost free speech isn't unlimited and most pertains to how the federal government can persecute people for their opinions towards the government. You right to free speech starts to lose its foundation when you start to threaten, harass, or incite others. Most protest and demonstrations must respect local ordinances on top of remaining civil and timely. While the parade isn't a clear violation, its pretty damn close.

We all know that laws are flawed and taking a black and white approach to the law often fails to address the circumstances surrounding the situation. Thats why we're tried in front of a jury of our peers and not by a bunch of pedant lawyers. No well meaning citizen, even if you support the confederate flag, would march it down a black neighborhood, anyone who would deserves exactly what they get short of seriously bodily harm. What do you think would happen if a bunch of brown skinned flag burners marched down a street in Alabama? This forum would be on fire if it was a bunch of black youths parading in a suburban neighborhood, they probably would even say that someone should have ran them over for blocking the streets.

I find it interesting that when people refer to Southerners they really only referring to white people who ascribe to a redneck subculture. Not the millions of black, brown, white, yellow, blue, people, etc people who also live in the South.

These are the countries with the most slaves.

India. > Est. population in modern slavery: 14.3 million. ...
    China. > Est. population in modern slavery: 3.2 million. ...
    Pakistan. > Est. population in modern slavery: 2.1 million. ...
    Uzbekistan. > Est. population in modern slavery: 1.2 million. ...
    Russia. > Est.population in modern slavery: 1.0 million

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/...aves/70033422/

More countries

http://247wallst.com/special-report/...most-slaves/2/

So if you're agaisnt that flag for something it REPRESENTED in the PAST why not also be disgusted and stop using or supporting things made in countries with slavery to this day.

By everyones logic that is agaisnt it in this thread about the flag and what it represents and how people that like it or use it are racist. Here if you buy anything made or invented by any of those countries you support slavery.

A map of modern slavery

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...00-in-the-u-s/

Get off your damn high horses saying the U.S is so damn bad for having slaves. Slavery still exists in most of the modern world. Legal or not it exists and i don't see any of you getting in such a riot and stressing out over it as much as you are about a god damn flag.
    Last edited by Raptor With a Saber; 2015-07-16 at 04:34 AM.
    WORLD POPULATION
    U.S pop 318.2 million,Mexico pop 122.3 million ,Russia 143.5 million S.K 50.22 million China 1.357 billion ,United Kingdom 64.1 million, Europe "as a whole" 742.5 million, Canada 35.16 million, South America 387.5 million,Africa 1.111 billion , Middle east 205 Million , Asia "not counting china" 3.009 B ,Greenland 56k,, Iceland 323k, S/N pole 1k-5k/2k

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raptor With a Saber View Post
    You're right old things can be given new meanings. The confed flag no longer represents the ideas of a nation long gone and never coming back. Why not give that old thing a better more useful meaning. I see it as a thing of overcoming what could have been assimilated into a nation that defeated its old purpose and rewrote it as a sign of freedom and acceptance that shows that even though things happened we move on and look forward. There meaning changed you can now accept that the flag no longer represents slavery.

Swastikas were a symbol of peace before nazis and is still used as such and always will be. people keep focusing on the past they are going to ruin their future people got up in arms over the NSA for taking precautions against terrorists and people claimed loss of freedom. How is that any different now? Remove a flag today and tomorrow we could be thrown in jail for wearing matching colors to that of the flag under claim of wanting to be racist. People need to grow up and see that things are different.

the CSA still exists? Where?
    The years following the Civil War pretty much erased all this Southern pride that people claim overshadows the hate associated with the confederate flag. And you're absolutely right, its analogous to the swastika.

People always want to trace the flag back to the Civil War but are quick to overlook its more recent history of people the go to symbol for numerous white supremacist groups, promantly displayed in the background of any lynching or act of violence against minorities. AND NOT LIKE THE GROUPS HAVE STOPPED USING THE FLAG TO PROMOTE THEIR MESSAGE...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Raptor With a Saber View Post
    These are the countries with the most slaves.

India. > Est. population in modern slavery: 14.3 million. ...
    China. > Est. population in modern slavery: 3.2 million. ...
    Pakistan. > Est. population in modern slavery: 2.1 million. ...
    Uzbekistan. > Est. population in modern slavery: 1.2 million. ...
    Russia. > Est.population in modern slavery: 1.0 million

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/...aves/70033422/

More countries

http://247wallst.com/special-report/...most-slaves/2/

So if you're agaisnt that flag for something it REPRESENTED in the PAST why not also be disgusted and stop using or supporting things made in countries with slavery to this day.

By everyones logic in this thread about flag the flag and what it represents and how people that like it or use it are racist. Here if you but anything made or invented by any of those countries you support slavery.
    Because people don't call out those countries on their human rights violations all the time...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by pacox View Post
    The years following the Civil War pretty much erased all this Southern pride that people claim overshadows the hate associated with the confederate flag. And you're absolutely right, its analogous to the swastika.

People always want to trace the flag back to the Civil War but are quick to overlook its more recent history of people the go to symbol for numerous white supremacist groups, promantly displayed in the background of any lynching or act of violence against minorities. AND NOT LIKE THE GROUPS HAVE STOPPED USING THE FLAG TO PROMOTE THEIR MESSAGE...
    Fuck those people and those groups. That's what a lot of y'all are totally missing. You don't see the transformation that has and is taking place.

Quote Originally Posted by Pull My Finger View Post
    People like that parade guy should be locked up. They're antagonizing consciously and trying to stir up unrests intentionally. The fact that they're hiding behind their "rights" and being pussies about their activism doesn't make them more likeable either.
    No, that's not how it works. Pick one, that's all you'll ever get. The rights that the majority enjoy vastly outweigh a few idiots. Making exceptions to people's rights makes them no longer rights, stripping everything free speech stands for.

Otherwise, enjoy what the EU is turning into, jailing for speech against the government (germany), jailing for calling someone a name (UK) or even having arts censored and made illegal (porn criminalization being proposed in UK), among a buttload of other awful freedom violations in the EU.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics