Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Should the EU develop further into a federation of nation states?

The answer by EU state, according to official European institution survey of citizens in 2014:

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm surprised there's so much support. The only states that were more against it than for it are:

Slovakia
    Czech Republic
    Austria
    Bulgaria
    Italy
    Luxembourg
    Netherlands
    Estonia
    UK
    Denmark
    Finland
    Sweden

I feel like the last three are mostly because they have a bit of a rival conception of a Nordic Union.

But the fact that of 28 states, only 12 are against is surprising.

Of course, the last four against I mentioned are HARDCORE against, so there's that. But the EU taken as a whole is more FOR federation than against it.

I do wonder why Croatia's symbol is HR.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Nah, city states. What could go wrong?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    Within EU institutions and communications, abbreviations and country listings (even the order) uses the country's own name for themselves.

Deleted
    There is definitely more support for this than people generally seem to think. I happen to be for, too, although I naturally fear certain consequences. For instance, I would be strongly opposed to national laws being dictated more by the federal government. In terms of foreign policy, I would oppose anything that resembles America's imperialistic ways. Other than these sort of things, I see this being beneficial. Europeans are one people, and we ought to unite.
    Last edited by mmoc01554e0dd1; 2015-07-15 at 05:10 PM.

Deleted
    Hungary is most supportive of all countries? That's surprising.

15+ Year Old Account
    Because Croatia is Hrvatska in Croatian.

On topic, with the current system, no I would not EU to develop further into a federation. The bigger countries have too much power. If it was 1 state 1 vote, I could reconsider my stance.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by squeeze View Post
    Within EU institutions and communications, abbreviations and country listings (even the order) uses the country's own name for themselves.
    That's bullshit.

Why is Finland FI or Austria AT?
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    Because Croatia is Hrvatska in Croatian.

On topic, with the current system, no I would not EU to develop further into a federation. The bigger countries have too much power. If it was 1 state 1 vote, I could reconsider my stance.
    There would very likely be a balance of some sort, so the smaller countries would be very significant in voting matters.

- - - Updated - - -

That's bullshit.

True, it's international.

10+ Year Old Account
    I certainly would not be in favor of this.

Before there were posts in this thread listing some of the countries I was wondering what they were.

You've got Hungary, Pluto, Romania, Elephants, Belgium, Potatoe, Homerun!, Lithuania, France, uh Sinks, Mountains, Cyprus, Germany, Italy, EU28( wtf is this?), Suckland, Estonia, Carz, Antennae, Latvia, Belgium again, Ireland, Lunatics, Netherlands, EEK snakes!, UK, Donkey Kong, Finland, and Sweden.

Deleted
    That's bullshit.

Heh, good point. Maybe they are using some ISO codes instead - like the ones for Internet domains.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ripster42 View Post
    EU28( wtf is this?)
    That's obviously an average of the 28 members of the EU, so you don't have to break your brain just to figure it out from the other data.

Light comes from darkness shise's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Kt's impossible and unlikely to happen. Counties like Denmark, UK or Finland would never give their sovereignty due to obvious reasons.

It would be interesting to see if opinions have changed in a year's time.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by squeeze View Post
    That's obviously an average of the 28 members of the EU, so you don't have to break your brain just to figure it out from the other data.
    I was thinking it was some kind of elected body or something that I'd never heard of. I don't know a lot about the EU's political structure, but if they're going to continue their currency zone, then yes, I believe they should be some type of federation.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ripster42 View Post
    I was thinking it was some kind of elected body or something that I'd never heard of. I don't know a lot about the EU's political structure, but if they're going to continue their currency zone, then yes, I believe they should be some type of federation.
    Well, if EU had an army it would be as much as a federation as USA is right now.
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

Deleted
    But then who would we send our viking raiding parties against?

Seriously though, maybe in the future and a graceful and slow change. We don't even have a common language right now, and the economic differences are vast, it is not something that one should jump to quickly into, because some of us would likely get the short end of that stick.
    Last edited by mmoccd6b5b3be4; 2015-07-15 at 05:29 PM.

I like the idea of Europeans sticking together. We have been working together and fighting against each other for 15-20 hundreds of years. It's time to grow up.

- - - Updated - - -

Well, if EU had an army it would be as much as a federation as USA is right now.
    There is a small EU force already I think. And there are movements to create an official EU army. It should be in cooperation with NATO for sure, but especially now when the immigration to EU is becoming a growing problem, it would have its benefits. Ofc because of the Greece problem stuff like this will have to wait, but there are many benefits to having a centralized EU army, if nothing else, it would save money to everyone in EU.

My part in this story has been decided. And I will play it well.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd love to know where they got those statistics from. Here in Portugal virtually everyone who's not a politician thinks that we are better off by being partners with the EU and its members BUT we can't under any circumstance relinquish any sovereignty over our nation. We already think Brussels (and in some cases the IMF) have too much power/influence over us, we'd be damned to allow more of that.

So I don't know were they got that 50% of complete acceptance of a Federal Europe Union. All domestic polls over the years say otherwise.

Deleted
    I'm surprised there's so much support. The only states that were more against it than for it are:

Slovakia
    Czech Republic
    Austria
    Bulgaria
    Italy
    Luxembourg
    Netherlands
    Estonia
    UK
    Denmark
    Finland
    Sweden

I feel like the last three are mostly because they have a bit of a rival conception of a Nordic Union.

But the fact that of 28 states, only 12 are against is surprising.

Of course, the last four against I mentioned are HARDCORE against, so there's that. But the EU taken as a whole is more FOR federation than against it.

It's worth noting that Norway, Sweden and Denmark aren't part of the Euro either. All 3 countries will say that it's made them stronger and suffer less risk of things like Greece screw up to affect their economy. Sweden has barely stayed in the EU as it is.
    The scandinavian countries have a strong sense of community between one another, but like to hold on to their independence.

I also think it's wrong say that some of these aren't against it, sure the Yes side is in majority, but it's not above 50%. Saying "Maybe" is the same as saying "No", to me.

You guys don't really tax income as a federal union do you?