Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account

If your life had story "spoilers" would you want to know them?

TL;DR: If you had access to a book that contained spoilers to all of the events in your life.
    • Would you read it?
    • What parts would you like to read?
    • If what was written in this book couldn't be altered and was inevitable would it change the way you lived your life?**

**As an example: You read that you die on a later date, if you attempted to take your own life something would always get in the way.

Interesting thought came to my mind during a conversation in another thread.
    With all the craziness that is life, jobs, illnesses, friendships, romances, love life, kids, tragedies, deaths, etc.
    Would you like to have a few "spoilers" along the way? Or are you happy with the surprises?
    If these spoilers were known in advance would they change the way you live your life?
    Imagine a book that would contain your life from start to finish, It couldn't be altered and everything written in it would happen as stated in the book. It's up to you to open it and read it or burn it and never see it again. What would you do?

**Reading this book wouldn't alter the timeline or the event's in the book, even though you are made aware of them. Nothing you do can change the outcome. They will happen.
    Last edited by dixincide; 2015-07-17 at 02:31 PM.

You bet! If I could avoid a few things that happened that would be great! Sign me up!

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

15+ Year Old Account
    I would not read everything. Just some very specific parts. Like, if I ever get over the fact that my bf doesn't want to get married. Discussion already taken in another thread, so no need to blow it up again, but yes, that would be interesting to know. I would also like to know if we'll ever own our own house.

7+ Year Old Account
    If you could alter future events, yes. If you couldn't affect the future, no.

7+ Year Old Account
    I'd be curious to know what kind of job I'll wind up in, when I die and when I meet my future wife.
    I wouldn't want to know the How's just the when. It would keep some surprise but still allow me to prepare for things.

Deleted
    I think it would be a Pandora's Box. At least I'd be filled with hopelessness if it doesn't end like a fairy tale.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yep, if I know how it ends like any other story, I refocus more on why the story ends that way.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

It they couldn't be changed? It would seem pointless to me, they are going to happen anyway. Its not that I wouldn't want to know what would happen to me or my family, but it would just add extra stress to me knowing that there could be nothing done when anything bad came up.

Also just a though, but wouldn't at some point the book repeat itself? "At this point Eldonia began reading the first sentence of the book of their life...Eldonia is now reading the sentence about reading the first sentence of the book of their life... Eldonia is now reading the second sentence about the first sentence of..."
    One of these days, I should probably figure out a decent signature.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldonia View Post
    It they couldn't be changed? It would seem pointless to me, they are going to happen anyway. Its not that I wouldn't want to know what would happen to me or my family, but it would just add extra stress to me knowing that there could be nothing done when anything bad came up.

Also just a though, but wouldn't at some point the book repeat itself? "At this point Eldonia began reading the first sentence of the book of their life...Eldonia is now reading the sentence about reading the first sentence of the book of their life... Eldonia is now reading the second sentence about the first sentence of..."
    Lmao, messing with time will always paradox.
    But we can all agree there is only one Burning Legion across all realities. /s
    And they wrote this book. So that makes it okay now right?

I don't think it would add stress for me, more of take it away. I feel better when I know the outcome of things. Even if the outcome is bad, as long as there is a solid plan then I'm always calm. When things get unpredictable I get nervous.
    Last edited by dixincide; 2015-07-17 at 03:01 PM.

Eh, only if I could pick and choose what to spoil. I would love to find out who I ended up marrying if anyone, when I would finally land a decent job if ever, etc. Basically as long as I could avoid finding out when people I cared about would die, I would happily spoil the unknown.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nah..... that entirely takes the fun out of it.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

If it's alterable, sure, if it's not, nope.

And if I did alter it, I wouldn't spoil whether my alterations worked or not.

10+ Year Old Account
    We all know how it ends...
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

Would you read it?
    What parts would you like to read?
    If what was written in this book couldn't be altered and was inevitable would it change the way you lived your life?**
    - Yes, I would read sections of it.
    - I would like to know when I die and if my children die before me.
    - Perhaps. Not so much in general outlook, I think. Though I think I would be prone to fewer bouts of procrastination if I had an exact timeline.

Though I would like be worried how such a thing came to exist and by what manner or power it came to be. As this would have a fairly huge impact of the idea of soft freedom.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    If the book couldn't be altered, me reading the Spoilers would already be pre-determined meaning I wouldn't have a choice anyway.

Kind of makes the question redundant.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    soft freedom.
    ??? color me confused..... what the heck is that?
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

10+ Year Old Account
    yes, every single 1

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by dixincide View Post
    **Reading this book wouldn't alter the timeline or the event's in the book, even though you are made aware of them. Nothing you do can change the outcome. They will happen.
    Then no, this would be horrible.
    - On topic.

Nope. I mean, maybe a few things, to just mentally prepare. Can't change anything, but then I'm of the opinion trying to change fate for selfish reasons is a pretty irresponsible thing to do so if anything I'd be more likely to read them knowing they can't be changed.

Still unlikely to, though. I hate spoilers enough in fiction, let alone in real life.

10+ Year Old Account
    Only the last page.

Jk, I wouldn't.