Page 1 of 20
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Hackers Threaten to Expose 37 Million Cheating AshleyMadison Users (GGT)

http://gizmodo.com/hackers-threaten-...yma-1718965334

AshleyMadison — tagline “Life Is Short. Have An Affair” — is an online site that facilitates cheating among its 37 million users. It’s a service founded on confidentiality and privacy, which now seems to have all of its data in the hands of hackers. They’re demanding the company take down the site, or they’re going to out a lot of adulterers.

The hackers, going by the name “The Impact Team”, posted a small sample of sensitive data (since taken offline) stolen from Avid Life Media, the company that owns AshleyMadison, along with other hookup sites Cougar Life and Established Men. The data was accompanied by a statement, demanding the takedown of AshleyMadison and Established Men. If that doesn’t happen, the hackers are threatening to leak the full details — names, addresses, sexual fantasies — of AshleyMadison’s 37 million users.

Speaking to security blog KrebsOnSecurity, ALM Chief Executive Noel Biderman confirmed the hack, condemned the “criminal act”, and said the company was working hard to have the data taken down.

The Impact Team’s beef with Avid seems to lie with the Full Delete feature offered by AshleyMadison — a $19 service that allows users of the site to erase their profile, and all accompanying information. According to The Impact Team, that service is a lie — it claims that although profile information is removed, credit card details — including real name and billing address — remain online.

That frames the hackers as the good guys, campaigning against a lying company; of course, a trove of personal information, including credit card details, can be worth serious money to the right people.

It goes without saying that this is about the worst data leak imaginable — not only does it have the usual problems of identity fraud, but if the full list of AshleyMadison’s users hits the internet, that’s a lot of adulterers outed.

I saw some ad on the TV once about a site, which went like "Are you happily married? So am I".
    I think they should leak it.
    Everyone that is being cheated on deserves to know.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mifuyne View Post
    I saw some ad on the TV once about a site, which went like "Are you happily married? So am I".
    but your avatar! you should approve of the site!

Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    but your avatar! you should approve of the site!
    NTR isn't lewd (enough?).

10+ Year Old Account
    Everyone involved is horrible and shouldn't be sympathized with. The best outcome is the data gets released, the company collapses, and the hackers are imprisoned. Not likely, but I can hope.
    And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
    Revelation 6:8

less there screwin me i do not care.

Expose.

This could get entertaining!
    Quote Originally Posted by Relapses View Post
    Luckily I have no interest in Catgirl Simulator 2014 or whatever it is.
    Said while playing WoW with cow, wolf, panda and fox girls.

Deleted
    it's a little ironic that a site that helps people cheat on their partners 'condemns this criminal act'

Yeah almost any other site i would have minded, but one where people are actively trying to cheat on their SO, pls burn them all.

This is one where I hope everyone gets punished, because they all deserve it. Hackers for hacking, and the cheaters for cheating. I think it would be hilarious. 37 million... wow.. thats all.

Next newsline: Divorce rate and murder in the USA has increased 300%

Everyone that is being cheated on deserves to know.
    I am sure my ex wife is on there.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    Because cheating on your partner is - at least in civilized countries - not a "criminal" act? Unlike hacking and blackmailing.
    the one is immoral the other is illegal

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommo View Post
    If they do release it I wont feel sorry for anyone involved.
    Yes exactly should do it. The drama would be entertaining.

Just imagine if they score some politicians or something.

Deleted
    Kinda silly to go about it like this.

Shouldve blackmailed all those people:
    Make them pay 10 bucks each once.
    Insta millionaire
    Everyone would be too scared to talk caus it would further ruin their marriages.
    No1 would know it ever happened.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiift View Post
    Kinda silly to go about it like this. Shouldve blackmailed all those people making them pay 10 bucks.
    Insta millionaire and no1 would know caus everyone would be too scared to talk.
    I need to learn how to h@ckz

Deleted
    I need to learn how to h@ckz
    Yeah i never got further than skiding. "hacking' is a big word though. They probably got some codes from an admin (trough a keymap) and got into the backoffice.

Deleted
    Good, I hope they do. Cheaters deserve to be publicly shamed!

Cheaters imo are lower than hackers. but I hope everyone involved gets in trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiift View Post
    Kinda silly to go about it like this.

Shouldve blackmailed all those people:
    Make them pay 10 bucks each once.
    Insta millionaire
    Everyone would be too scared to talk caus it would further ruin their marriages.
    No1 would know it ever happened.
    Too much work/risk. You know someone isn't going to give a shit and just report them to the police.

They should release it. Seems like the site is blackmailing people anyway.

Edit: I'm not sure how you don't construe forcing people to pay money to take their info down as blackmail, and how that's not illegal.

My ex is probably on there, somewhere.
    Once she handed over some male boxers and said she washed them for me.
    They weren't even mine.