10+ Year Old Account
    By Lieutenant Colonel Whiskers McBallofur Maximilliamus the Third

Phantasy Star Online 2’s SE Asian version drops region-blocking

Interesting

You can’t play Phantasy Star Online 2 on US servers because they don’t exist. But you could, in theory, play the Southeast Asian version, which is already fully translated and all, but that incarnation has a region block on it to keep you out. Or it did, anyway. The servers for Southeast Asian players appear to have had their region block disabled, allowing you to log in and play from anywhere in the world if so inclined.

Exactly why the block has been disabled is unknown, as it wasn’t specifically announced; most speculation centers around a problem with some local ISPs making even local logins impossible. There’s no promise that it’ll last, sadly, but for the moment you can log in and play the game in English without pretending you’re from another part of the globe altogether.

http://massivelyop.com/2015/07/20/ph...region-locked/
    “Snow can only live in the winter. When it nears a fire, it dies. That is its life. It may yearn for summer, but… it can only desire it. In my hand, the snow becomes water, because this is not its world….”
    “The boundless Heavens and Earth are the final resting place of all living things. Life is like a journey, filled with various scenery, various paths.

10+ Year Old Account
    As much as I want to touch this, I'm not touching this yet. My best friend and I have both logged 2000+ hours into the GameCube version 12 years ago. He played a FOnewearl and I played a RAmarl.

Will definitely play a ranger/hunter Human or Cast.
    Last edited by Usagi Senshi; 2015-07-21 at 06:19 AM.
    Tikki tikki tembo, Usagi no Yojimbo, chari bari ruchi pip peri pembo!

I heard the translation wasn't faithful to past Phantasy Star games, mainly because the SEA market hasn't previously had Phantasy Star games. Shit that would be on par with a Final Fantasy game calling Phoenix Downs revive potions and chocobos ostriches.

So I'll stick to the fan translations, thank you.

http://massivelyop.com/2015/07/23/ph...n-in-the-west/

HA HA HA HA HA HA HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa...

Sega is fucking stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post
    http://massivelyop.com/2015/07/23/ph...n-in-the-west/

HA HA HA HA HA HA HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa...

Sega is fucking stupid.
    What in the flying fuck really.

I am really just going to give up all hope that a Phantasy Star MMO will ever come back to the US. FFS Sega people want to play ur game just let us.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

10+ Year Old Account
    sega has to be the 2nd worst company right up by EA
    “Snow can only live in the winter. When it nears a fire, it dies. That is its life. It may yearn for summer, but… it can only desire it. In my hand, the snow becomes water, because this is not its world….”
    “The boundless Heavens and Earth are the final resting place of all living things. Life is like a journey, filled with various scenery, various paths.

.....and it's gone.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well that was short lived.

This is why nobody likes you, Sega. Nobody.

Deleted
    Can still play the japanese version using that guide and then using a patch to translate, however, has anyone actually found a reason to why Sega will not release this to the west officially, PSO1 barely had any real dialogue so not much to translate so that can't be a factor, seriously what is wrong with them.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you have Vita you don't need to go through any VPNs to play it, it's in Japanese though.
    >.>

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thorianrage View Post
    Can still play the japanese version using that guide and then using a patch to translate, however, has anyone actually found a reason to why Sega will not release this to the west officially, PSO1 barely had any real dialogue so not much to translate so that can't be a factor, seriously what is wrong with them.
    Nah its just Sega being a complete dick >.>

It's fine, the SE Asian version was the worst version anyway. They made all the fun cosmetic items P2W and they're almost as behind as the English version, which doesn't even exist.

Just play with the Japanese.

I'd rather have them return to console RPGs. Phantasy Star was a great series. I got the first one when I was 13 and it started my addiction to those kinds of games.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Everwake View Post
    I'd rather have them return to console RPGs. Phantasy Star was a great series. I got the first one when I was 13 and it started my addiction to those kinds of games.
    There's PSO Nova.
    Was thinking about getting it, but didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    There's PSO Nova.
    Was thinking about getting it, but didn't.
    Vita.

intothetrashitgoes.jpg

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post
    Vita.

intothetrashitgoes.jpg
    Better than nothing?
    It's also only in Japanese and Chinese(?) I think.

Deleted
    I played this MMO ages ago, on Japanese servers I think. I played from Europe. Did they recently add region blocks in general or does it only apply to the US?

Anyway, I found the game quite luckluster.

It was a strictly instanced lobby MMO with, at the time, a poor over-the-shoulder/off-center control interface and other control issues. They seem to have changed it to MMO standard centered third-person control since then. The classes and abilities were quite limited, with simple action combos and simple linear classes.

The content was easy and almost non-existent. Think more like the beta or old version of Global Agenda dungeons or Vindictus training/levelling up, without the tough PvE environment or visceral high skilled, high tension action combat gameplay respectively. At no point did I ever feel in "danger" or overwhelmed. There was nothing of the PvE scale of even a lobby MMO like Neverwinter.

I did not do any PvP (I'm not sure if it even had it).

The main good thing about it was the astonishing range of character appearance customization - easily the most I have ever seen except perhaps for EVE Online and APB. Though, since then no doubt many other MMOs have started to catch up.

Other than that it is just typical Japanese anime/FF-style eye candy.
    Last edited by mmoc83df313720; 2015-07-24 at 09:52 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    This is why nobody likes you, Sega. Nobody.
    sega of japan has ALWAYS been like this so i'm not really surprised. in 30 yrs you think their upper management would learn a thing or two about western markets...LOL NOPE.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.