Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by GodlyBob View Post
    Thought that was a fission reaction? Or did I get turned around at Albuquerque?
    Hydrogen bombs are fusion driven by fusing hydrogen isotopes triggered by a fission reaction.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

15+ Year Old Account
    Okay, fission, then fusion.

I can do science, me!

little boom, then bigger boom!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tradewind View Post
    little boom, then bigger boom!
    Little boom, Massive boom, then absurdly massive boom.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Problem with fusion is that it generally takes more energy to do it than you get out of it
    I think that's if you are trying to control the reaction and contain it, IDK if that's the case here.

I'm not a physics major, so im sure someone more qualified can answer that question.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Yeah. Too bad that a lot of this technology is going to start coming from areas that actually fricking invest in science such as Europe and Japan.
    As in research and development? We're still number one for federal spending in that field, not to mention investment from private organizations like the Gates Foundation.
    Last edited by Jaxi; 2015-07-20 at 10:16 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Imadraenei View Post
    You can find that unbiased view somewhere between Atlantis and that unicorn farm down the street, just off Interstate √(-1).

Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    It's a pretty sad commentary when you can patent something that you can't get to work.
    I don't see it much differently from an Intent To Use trademark. In any case, the patents are public records. That means others can either try to negotiate a way to use, or develop their own (different) version. The real shame would be keeping it as an Industry Secret.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

Quote Originally Posted by supertony51 View Post
    I think that's if you are trying to control the reaction and contain it, IDK if that's the case here.

I'm not a physics major, so im sure someone more qualified can answer that question.
    Since there's a pretty good example of what happens in an uncontrolled fusion reaction on the other page, I'm guessing they'd need to be controlling it somehow

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    I think I'll go ahead and patent a nuclear fusion powered smartphone tomorrow. 1 mm thick, 6"x3" with rounded edges.
    I'd buy it, totally.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Since there's a pretty good example of what happens in an uncontrolled fusion reaction on the other page, I'm guessing they'd need to be controlling it somehow
    Lol, I'm sure it involves lots of math, my least favorite subject (im decent at it, I just hate doing it)

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Yeah. Too bad that a lot of this technology is going to start coming from areas that actually fricking invest in science such as Europe and Japan.
    Simply buying things like silicon solar panels is not really "investing in science". By that standard buying a modern combustion engine and injecting fuel in it could be considered investing in science. Basic scientific research is what eventually advances tech and no Japan is not investing as much as the US. As far as Europe, they do have a higher population and a slightly bigger combined economy so it wouldn't be surprising. Of course they are not quite as integrated as the United States.
    Last edited by PC2; 2015-07-20 at 10:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by supertony51 View Post
    Lol, I'm sure it involves lots of math, my least favorite subject (im decent at it, I just hate doing it)
    Unless their plan is just to detonate thermonuclear planes in the atmosphere.

"Boeing, meet your maker"

Unless their plan is just to detonate thermonuclear planes in the atmosphere.

"Boeing, meet your maker"
    Here you go! Hold on to your butt! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Projec...ar_propulsion)

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    lol yes the space bullet

This is just a fancier version of the ion thrusters which have hundreds of thousands of km/s in delta v (both designs accelerate gas). You still run into the problem of fuel instability with the laser design, all fuel decays. The NIF (national ignition facility) has an ENORMOUS laser ignition facility (the largest operational facility in the world) and it isn't capable of generation the necessary energy pressure to sustain a fusion reaction. They ARE getting closer, but need more data and are now sharing time with weapons research (firing the lasers at weapons material instead of fusion material). They only did about 1 shot a day last year and the facility is capable of 4/day theoretically.

IMO the only "real" option for interstellar travel is bending space/time, or advanced stasis. Stasis being the more impractical.

http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/image...ture_2416.html

Quote Originally Posted by GodlyBob View Post
    Okay, fission, then fusion.

I can do science, me!
    I recommend this documentary:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYUP7zJ0CwU
    Mother pus bucket!

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    You had me at 'laser engine'.

Problem with fusion is that it generally takes more energy to do it than you get out of it
    AFAIK we have been creating net positive fusion reactions for ages. Trouble is they are hotter than the sun and are not long for this world.

Quote Originally Posted by AlarStormbringer View Post
    You had me at 'laser engine'.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laser_propulsion

here, this might actually work.

Quote Originally Posted by Afrospinach View Post
    AFAIK we have been creating net positive fusion reactions for ages. Trouble is they are hotter than the sun and are not long for this world.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laser_propulsion

here, this might actually work.
    There is a fusion reactor in France i believe which is a international testing plant funded by several countries.

also i believe they control the heat and plasma with magnetic shielding (no i am not talking about star trek shields, but the words sound cool atleast)

Quote Originally Posted by Arthas242 View Post
    There is a fusion reactor in France i believe which is a international testing plant funded by several countries.

also i believe they control the heat and plasma with magnetic shielding (no i am not talking about star trek shields, but the words sound cool atleast)
    Depending on what type of star trek shields you're talking about, you might want to look at plasma windows. They're not the shields that protect ships from projectiles, but they can hold atmosphere in against a vacuum.