Page 1 of 2
LastLast

An enjoyable PvP class?

Uh oh, one of these threads again. I hope you are not thinking that as you clicked on my thread.

Let me give you some background: I played the game from day 1 in Vanilla until level 70 as a rogue and walked away from WoW. Fast forward, I have a young kid, I've showed them the game and they love it (fun to see a child experience the game in an innocent way), and I resumed playing with WoD after a long, long, long break.

I play on a PvP server as I enjoy WPvP, BGs, Arenas, etc. I am a VERY AVERAGE player skill wise and I am a casual player.

I've leveled a Hunter to 85 (tried all three specs), a Shadow Priest to 70, a Mage t 65 (Dabbled with all three specs), and a Rogue to the 50s.

I do not care about dominating, being the best, or anything like that. Although I do have an unhealthy addiction to landing killing blows. I am struggling to find my "MAIN" guy I want to play until 100 and use for most of my gaming in WoW. I want that one class to be an extension of me.

I notice I get annoyed with pets in the game. I wished the hunter lone wolf option was available as the level 15 talent.

Anyhow, I desperately need opinions and more opinions. What are classes you enjoy in PvP? Why? I absolutely refuse to be a druid. I don't like the class concept. I enjoy WoW a ton, but I feel like I hate classes so quickly I don't enjoy the game even though I know I do! Opinions are appreciated.

finish leveling your hunter or level a warrior to cap and find a really good healer buddy.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you want killing blows, play an arms warrior. /thread

Deleted
    Which class you will like to play in PvP will depends on a lot of things.

If youŕe a clicker or use only a handful of keybinds, most melee classes will suck, mostly because you'll not be able to keep up with your class damage wise. In that case any caster will still get you pretty far, or healing (you can easily use healbot or vuhdo to heal in PvP without too much hassle).

As healer you will probably get harassed a lot, keep that in mind.

And, obviously, and you like to kill stuff up close and personal, take a melee, if you like to nuke from a distance, take a caster or hunter.

GL HF ^

Deleted
    Hunter is what you are looking for: great mobility, great dmg, great survivability, relaxing class, not much skill neded to be effective ...But, you don' like pets ... Lone Wolf is only somehow good for BGs, while for Arenas is a no go option. If you can't accept that, try Paladin: Both Holy and Retribution are very easy to play.

Shadow Priest is very strong for BGs and RBGs, maybe one of the strongest specs, but if you are left alone, any melee will destroy you with easy.

And if you really want to have fun and make a lot of killing blows, go Assassination or Combat Rogue: both are pretty easy to learn. Arms Warrior is also ok, but not as strong as Rogue and you can't do it without a healer. As a Rogue you have the best mobility in the game with BoS talent and best survivability just because of it and Talented Feint and your Stealth.

Mage: you don't like pets, so no, because Frost is the only PvP specc.

Frost DK is also very friendly: great dmg and great survivability, self healing, but poor mobility. Well, you don't need it anway :P

Avoid Shaman, Monk and Warlock.
    Last edited by mmoc4f70414cfa; 2015-07-21 at 05:44 PM.

Deleted
    Just play feral druid.

Deleted
    I assume you will mainly play random battlegrounds. Are you Horde or Alliance? I strongly suggest you to play Alliance if you don't wanna be stuck with a horrible win/loss ratio.

Hunters as already mentioned can be played by a vegetable and still perform well and they're very good in random bgs, but since you don't wanna play a pet class I guess they're not for you. I'd just go for the rogue, you have an idea of what you're supposed to do since you played one years ago and they're super strong in battlegrounds, practically immortal if you just keep spamming Burst of Speed and get away. They also have very decent damage and cc. And it's not exactly hard to get killing blows on a rogue either.

Deleted
    Before you fotm roll a hunter, there are a few things you must know.

Q: Are hunters fun to play in pvp?
    A: Well that's a tricky question.

-BM has issues with pet pathing, meaning that if you want to attack something that is on a level below or above and no direct path to it, your pet will jog across the map trying to get to your target and by the time it gets there, the target has very likely moved. This issue is very clear in Temple of Kotmogu as well as Dalaran Arena.
    -BM also has issues with the sustained damage. Basically your damage is terrible if your pet is not on the target, and all the time outside of Bestial Wrath. When popping cds (BW and Stampede) you're very likely to explode something that doesn't have damage immunities (bubble, iceblock, karma etc), but outside that tremendous burst and even outside Bestial Wrath, bm hunter damage is laughable.
    -MM, while not really using an active pet in combat, it's sloooooooooowwww. You have sustained damage much higher than BM but it comes in chunks, that means that while you're getting bored casting aimed shots, your target may be receiving heals, making your aimed shot barely put a dent in his health. Its mastery is really bad for pvp as it requires the hunter to stand still in order to get the damage buff and no hunter stands still in pvp unless there is a meastshield between him and the enemy.
    -MM can use Lone Wolf talent that forgoes the pet entirely in order to receive a passive 30% buff to all damage. This talent is terrible for all forms of pvp that don't involve the hunter shooting safely from behind a wall of meatshields, that means it sucks everywhere except ashran, bgs and rbgs, as you no longer received the passive heals, no longer have master's call nor roar of sacrifice, making you a glass cannon.
    -MM is also very vulnerable to los. Unlike BM and Survival, if your target is out of los, you're doing 0 damage to it.
    -Survival makes up for a lot of BM and MM shortcomings. It has...decent sustained damage (decent = slightly more better than crap), not chunky damage, and doesn't really care about los. It has some superior utility/survivability because traps are on 20 sec cds and this will save your ass more times than you can count.
    One problem though: it doesn't have any burst cooldowns. Yes, your damage is not going to be spiky, which makes it easy for a hybrid to heal through or a get healed through.
    -Survival was really overpowered in 6.0 until 6.2.

Q: Are hunters overpowered in pvp?
    A: Short answer: No. Long answer: It depends on the situation, really, but mostly no.

*Arena? Nope, they're pretty mediocre in 3s where the magic happens according to the pvp devs.
    *Bgs? YES! Hunters are very survivable in bgs because they have the tools to get out of pretty much anything as long as help is on its way.
    *1v1 and wpvp? Nope, they're mediocre at best. Let me elaborate on that.
    - Hunters have the upper hand against several melee specs: frost dks, arms/fury warriors, ww monks, enh shamans. These specs generally have less cc and ways to get out of cc than hunters have ccs and their own ways of getting out of them, thus you can pretty much kite them to hell and back, especially frost dks which have the shittiest mobility in the game (shittiest mobility melee vs. best mobility ranged? do the math, it's simple). But then you have ret paladins, unholy dks, prot warriors, rogues of any spec and feral druids - these guys will beat you a lot more often than you can beat them. You could probably beat a feral if you catch him out of stealth and he's too stupid to try to run and restealth in order to open on his terms and beat your ass; if the feral gets the jump on you, forget it.
    - Hunters can't beat pretty much any other ranged spec with the exception of mages. Moonkins, affliction/demonology locks, shadow priests, elemental shamans. You can't beat these guys, they got superior burst, superior self heals and/or tankiness and you can't fucking kite them. Destro locks are split, we got two kinds of destros: the paniclock and the chillock. The paniclock will see that he can't get any chaos bolts off between all your interrupts and he will panic and get pissed and then make a "nerf huntards" thread on his forum. The chillock KNOWS he can beat you just by spamming incinerate and conflagrate while face tanking your with his cds and using burning embers for heals. Still you can rape mages because hunters hardcounter them, it's pretty difficult to actually lose to a mage.

Q: But if hunters aren't really all that OP as the forums say, then what should I play?
    A: Just play whatever your have fun with. Ahahahahahaha, joking, play a feral druid.
    Last edited by mmocc7dfdf7f37; 2015-07-21 at 07:53 PM.

I just started reading over the replies in the thread. I sincerely appreciate people taking he time to offer advice.

A few comments to questions I was asked:

-I am not a clicker. I have a Razer Naga mouse that is much more enjoyable for WoW this go around than when I started the game (as a clicker haha)
    -Is this correct, I can do okay in BGs and 5-man dungeons as a Lone Wolf hunter?
    -I like killing blows, but I am not focused on them; I like winning as a team
    -I'll be a human because I like my gaming avatar to be like me (which unfortunately includes being a bald guy hahaha)

I just can't be a druid. I don't want to be a bear, car, or walking owl guy.

Decisions, decisions... hunter, rogue, shadow priest, or other.

Thank you again, nice to see the community offering input.

Im a fan of shadow priests. Their damage rotation is pretty simple, and you always have the option to offspec heal if you want.

Then again, I have 130 days about between all my priests..

10+ Year Old Account
    Hunter's probably what you're looking for.

Fun, easy, reliable, has no downsides, boatloads of crowd control with high damage and survivability, will land you killing blows, you don't even have to try as hard to achieve the same or better result as anybody else, cool transmog (Mail's my favourite; I main a Shaman) and much more.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Trathos77 View Post
    -Is this correct, I can do okay in BGs and 5-man dungeons as a Lone Wolf hunter?
    Yes you can. In BGs you can kill your opponents in 3 globals as a Lone Wolf. Is just a little harder to get away from melee without a pet, because you can't use master's call and some other pet abilities. It is also the best talent for 5 man dungeons and raids.

Thank you again for the replies as it is appreciated. I think I'll grind it out to 100 with the hunter and then ditch the pet and play lone wolf. I don't need to dominate, I just want to have fun.

When is that leaked Shadow Stalker, bow only class coming out? I say that in jest.

holy paladin. Heal like no other and hit for 50k+ to insta gib anyone.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by kevincuomo View Post
    holy paladin. Heal like no other and hit for 50k+ to insta gib anyone.
    Which is why this insanity will not last long. Stop telling people to roll clearly broken specs that are obviously going to be nerfed really soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Juke Boxer View Post
    Which is why this insanity will not last long. Stop telling people to roll clearly broken specs that are obviously going to be nerfed really soon.
    You give Shitzzard too much credit. Human's having EMFH has been broken for.. years and years. They are concerned about making the shipyard(lamest idea ever) and other pve junk, PVP is and always has been on the back burner. And not to mention Holinka is just horrid at his job so im sure he thinks holy paladins are just dandy.

I'm not a fotm guy, but I am curious. Are Holy Paladins healing others in pvp or they using the healing as a means to keep themselves alive?

Deleted
    I'm not a fotm guy, but I am curious. Are Holy Paladins healing others in pvp or they using the healing as a means to keep themselves alive?
    They are healers, you're not supposed to play holy pala like you would a dps spec. They also have some damaging abilities so they can actually do some damage and not 100% healbot, and these damaging abilities have been buffed through the roof this patch, so now a fucking healer can kill you like a dps spec while retaining the immortality that all healers have in 1v1 and 1v2, but only with wings up, otherwise that damage isn't that big of a deal.

I'd recommend finishing up on your level 50 rogue so that you can use it for PVP. I dabble in PVP on my Shaman, Shadow Priest, Warrior, and two hunters, and I have the most fun using my rogue in PVP by far. There's some good cc, and what has changed since your level 70 rogue days is that they have some pretty formidable survivability. The only thing bugging me nowadays is that I can rarely stealth out of a bad situation because cloak of shadows is on a long cooldown, and you can't stealth when you have necrotic plague on you (you always have necrotic plague on you in PVP). It's a small annoyance though. The class is tons of fun in PVP.

- - - Updated - - -

I just can't be a druid. I don't want to be a bear, car, or walking owl guy.
    I think this might be the reason I've never fully leveled a Druid, but I noticed that it has changed now. I've seen a lot of Druids that aren't shape-changing. I believe it is just the balance spec, and it is probably from a glyph. The downfall is that they have a purple shimmer about them, so you half expect them to shoot fairy sparkles at you before they nuke you to oblivion with their laser-beams.

DK / Hunter

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post

I think this might be the reason I've never fully leveled a Druid, but I noticed that it has changed now. I've seen a lot of Druids that aren't shape-changing. I believe it is just the balance spec, and it is probably from a glyph. The downfall is that they have a purple shimmer about them, so you half expect them to shoot fairy sparkles at you before they nuke you to oblivion with their laser-beams.
    Actually I think that's their heals spec.