10+ Year Old Account

Awesome Games Done Quick! (SGDQ)

Games Done Quick is a bi-annual charity gaming marathon. Volunteers play games at incredible speed ("Speedrunning") for entertainment. The event is streamed live online, non-stop, and all donations go directly to the charity. This is the summer event.

This time around the money goes to Doctors without Borders

About Doctors Without Borders
    Doctors Without Borders (Médecins Sans Frontières) is an international medical humanitarian organization providing aid in nearly 70 countries to people whose survival is threatened by violence, neglect or catastrophe, primarily due to armed conflict, epidemics, exclusion from health care, natural disasters, or malnutrition. MSF provides independent, impartial assistance to those most in need. MSF reserves the right to speak out to bring attention to neglected crises, to challenge inadequacies or abuse of the aid system, and to advocate for improved medical treatments and protocol. In 1999, MSF was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize for its work.

Needless to say - let's all enjoy some awesome games done quick and support a good cause! Link to stream is http://twitch.tv/gamesdonequick
    Schedule is --SNIP--
    Last edited by Darsithis; 2015-07-26 at 08:24 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I got approval from the admins to post it. Unfortunately I snipped it so fast that the original links are gone. You will need to re-edit your post to replace the links. Sorry

This is actually SGDQ, btw.

Great job bringing awareness to this amazing event.

As someone else pointed out, it is called Summer Games Done Quick (SGQD) for this round.

And it can be found at twitch . tv / gamesdonequick (without the spaces)

Deleted
    I was wondering, is there anyone that can tell me what all the different runs are (all %, 100% etc)?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by hypermode View Post
    I was wondering, is there anyone that can tell me what all the different runs are (all %, 100% etc)?
    Might depend on the game honestly, some are just speed runs, Any% is just complete the game, 100% is to complete the whole game with everything unlocked and such.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

Fuck Cox Communications. First time internet has dropped in a year, right as I'm trying to watch the only game that interests me today.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by hypermode View Post
    TO quote the main site where all these speedrunners congregate (speeddemosarchive)

In general, there are three types of runs. The first type is the any% run, where you do whatever it takes to get to the end of the game as fast as possible, acquiring or ignoring items as you see fit. This can be considered the "default" category.

Next is the low%, where you get the bare minimum number of items and upgrades necessary to complete the game, and still try to go as quickly as possible. This can be subjective, so ask Flip or discuss on the forum if you are unsure what constitutes a low% for your game. A low% run does not restrict the usage of items you are forced to obtain. A good example is in Mega Man games, where you always collect a weapon from each robot master or Maverick. You shouldn't minimize the use of your weapons or your run will be rejected. The low% run will almost always be slower than the any% run, but sometimes skipping everything possible might be the fastest method. In this case, the two categories are functionally the same, and the run will be listed as low% since that is more restrictive.

The third type of run is the 100% run where you collect "everything" in the game. How to define 100% for any given game is usually quite subjective unless the game tracks percentage, and some games just don't lend themselves to a 100% category. Because of this, it is imperative to ask Flip or discuss the 100% definition on the forum. Generally, we prefer concise, non-arbitrary definitions (instead of "comprehensive" laundry lists) that allow enough differentiation from the any%. A good example is "all stages." A bad example is "all items" in an RPG. Do you need max of each? What about dummy items? Mutually exclusive items? If we're getting all items, why not all skills? Max levels? Max playtime? And so on.
    Using Legend of Zelda as a general example, an any% run would be defeat Ganon/other end boss. A 100% run would be every item and heart container (full inventory slots). A low% run would be a 3 heart run.
    Just preface all my posts with "Well, I didn't read the thread, but..."
    Quote Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Kenobi
    You don't need to see any identification.
    This isn't the user you're looking for.
    Move along.
    Fixed a bug allowing Reaper to Shadow Step to unintended locations
    Minor text fixes