Scentific Concepts Thread

I made this basically for the people who wanted to share any theories, concepts or real-life things that pertain to Science. They can be pretty out there or they can be an interesting twit on something more well-known. It can pretty much be anything, just don't be an asshole about it and please don't troll this thread.

Okay, so I recently fasted for 5 days. I had read this scientific article about the benefits of fasting and thought I'd give it a go, previously I had fasted up to 3 days but not 5. The human body has like a dozen defenses against famine and they all are annoying, lethargy is probably the worst, followed by low blood pressure.

Anyway, on the 5th day, my urine became really acidic, like it burned. I did what I always do when something like that happens, I googled it. There were like a dozen things that cause acidic urine and all of them really, really bad. The when I reached the "S's" I saw "starvation". Whew!

Now the question is, why does your urine get acidic when you starve?

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    Probably because you are burning muscle for energy, which creates a different metabolite which is acidic. Though I have not actually googled that to verify... That's just a guess.
    That's terrible I would stop fasting if that was happening.

Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    That's terrible I would stop fasting if that was happening.
    Fasting is good ... maybe one day a month. Abstain from food AND water for a whole 24 hours.

Don't try to be the Savior and go 40 days.
    MY X/Y POKEMON FRIEND CODE: 1418-7279-9541 In Game Name: Michael__

I had this concept for engineering geckos to glow similar to that of how scientists engineered zebrafish to express glowing genes of jellyfish, sea anemone and coral. I do need help with how to do it though. I know the first step would be to breed a species of gecko that was plain and light enough to correctly express glowing colors (House Gecko?). The next step would be to insert the genes within the embryos...

Quote Originally Posted by Symphonic View Post
    Fasting is good ... maybe one day a month. Abstain from food AND water for a whole 24 hours.

Don't try to be the Savior and go 40 days.
    I didn't say it was good or bad, I said burning muscle for energy is bad.

I've always suspected the world revolves around me!

Deleted
    I have played with the thought that humanity developed a similar level of technology and knowledge as we have today before "our" recorded history began. Considering how curious and ambitious we are as a species I'm struggling with the thought that we ran around for 200,000-250,000 years accomplishing very little and then suddenly in the last 1000 years we go from swords, horses, and castles to WMD's, space shuttles and skyscrapers. I don't believe these hypothetical earlier civilizations were very wide spread, not like we are today. Probably localized, city-sized societies: Think Atlantis. I think it's like a cycle for humans. We develop high levels of technology very rapidly, we fuck something up and we "die out" and then the cycle repeats itself, over and over. Maybe we'll succeed this time?

Haven't really developed the idea any further. Just something I think about now and then.

Quote Originally Posted by Buljo View Post
    I have played with the thought that humanity developed a similar level of technology and knowledge as we have today before "our" recorded history began. Considering how curious and ambitious we are as a species I'm struggling with the thought that we ran around for 200,000-250,000 years accomplishing very little and then suddenly in the last 1000 years we go from swords, horses, and castles to WMD's, space shuttles and skyscrapers. I don't believe these hypothetical earlier civilizations were very wide spread, not like we are today. Probably localized, city-sized societies: Think Atlantis. I think it's like a cycle for humans. We develop high levels of technology very rapidly, we fuck something up and we "die out" and then the cycle repeats itself, over and over. Maybe we'll succeed this time?

Haven't really developed the idea any further. Just something I think about now and then.
    I always wondered why humans had a more questioning spark than chimpanzees or any hominid relatives.

Quote Originally Posted by Symphonic View Post
    I have yet to find any study that says it is. If you want to loose weight, eat less, not cut all food and water for good (even if it's only for a day).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Atethecat View Post
    I always wondered why humans had a more questioning spark than chimpanzees or any hominid relatives.
    I think it's because we spend a lot of our time in our heads thinking about the impossible due to our vivid imagination. Don't think other primates think much about impossible things such as flying, visiting the bottom of the ocean, the moon etc. Their imagination is probably more grounded, dealing with tangible things. But the things we imagine forces us to go beyond the limits of nature and push the limits of possibility.

Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    I have yet to find any study that says it is. If you want to loose weight, eat less, not cut all food and water for good (even if it's only for a day).
    If your fasting to lose weight you're doing it wrong.

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    Now the question is, why does your urine get acidic when you starve?
    Acetoacetate. Your liver produces it from your fat when you're starving. Ketones are interesting.

Here's something I'm not qualified to talk about.

We live in a fractal universe connected by blackholes. What we call the strong force is actually a mini blackhole that binds the protons/neutrons of a nucleus' atom and gives electrons their spin. We also live inside a blackhole, which is why outer space is dark and seemingly infinite. Our universe is actually a singularity.

I'm still working on the math to see if I'm right...