Page 2 of 37 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Is there anything more pathetic than white people pretending they are victims?

<Infracted>
    Last edited by Anakso; 2015-07-23 at 11:07 AM.

Deleted
    Lol. Show her the prowess of the Ra'Gada and the success of their conquests and she'll not have much of a leg left to stand on.

The insecure PC-police project their own prejudices on everyone else and assume that everything and everyone is just as base and bigoted as they are. More white noise from the irrelevant.

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Quote Originally Posted by Sky High View Post
    can't say she's wrong. I wish more fantasy settings weren't based on western societies. they're plenty of cultures that existed in the middle ages that I at least haven't seen in video games or the genre in general. as to the white supremacy thing, eh I mean sure plenty of fantasy worlds were created by conservative white dudes.
    People prefer to create things they are familiar with, thats why western Europa styled medieval styled games are so more common than other cultures.
    Its what the devs/writers of witcher did, make a game that is based on myths from Poland. The rest of the world is free to do the same.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    They're loosely based on history. You might find dragons in a medieval game but you won't find cars.
    Okay, so to kind of make a point to why I could understand the reasoning of it in a hyperbole fashion (and no, I don't believe it to be true, but the reasoning might not be all that bad).

"sure we can be liberal with our historical accuracy, we can have katanas in western nations in medieval times, we can have health potions made out of wheat and red flowers, we can have dragons, you can survive a thousand swords to the stomach etc. etc.. BUT WE GOTTA HAVE WHITE PEOPLE ONLY"

The conclusion however is rather flawed, I don't think it is because people are white supremacists, more likely just us being set in certain mindsets.

Even then, the more I think about it, the more games actually do have several races/skin colours.
    Last edited by mmoccd6b5b3be4; 2015-07-22 at 10:39 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why can't the "arab world" make games based on their culture to appeal to their demographic? Why does the "white world" have to make them for them?
    How else are they supposed to badmouth the devs of Witcher?

Quote Originally Posted by Gilrak View Post

Not true.
    Go read up on actual history.

People moving around.. a lot was not uncommon. Mainly due to war and the habit of enslaving people. Being that slavery was fundamentally different in the past, said slaves would often be freed at some point, and their children would continue to live in that society.. which is why they were ethnically and racially just as diverse rather than being one race dominant.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemposs View Post
    Okay, so to kind of make a point to why I could understand the reasoning of it in a hyperbole fashion (and no, I don't believe it to be true, but the reasoning might not be all that bad).

"sure we can be liberal with our historical accuracy, we can have katanas in western nations in medieval times, we can have health potions made out of wheat and red flowers, we can have dragons, you can survive a thousand swords to the stomach etc. etc.. BUT WE GOTTA HAVE WHITE PEOPLE ONLY"

Now, I do think the reasoning isn't completely dumb, it is the conclusion of it that is dumb. And the more I think about medieval games, the more games I remember having different colours.
    Most non-fantasy western medieval games don't have katanas/dragons or whatever.

Deleted
    The lack of african american slaves in my white supremacist medieval games ruins my immersion

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanyali View Post
    I did, the overwhelming majority in North and eastern European countries where white, during medieval times atleast.

10+ Year Old Account
    Jade Empire was a good game. Id love more asian single player RPGs (not JRPGs)

Why can't the "arab world" make games based on their culture to appeal to their demographic? Why does the "white world" have to make them for them?
    I don't see why it has to appeal strictly to the Arab world.

I did, the overwhelming majority in North and eastern European countries where white, during medieval times atleast.
    No, they were not.

Mainly because medieval times took place after the romans, and the romans moved all sorts of people everywhere. A lot of people have the "common sense" knowledge that they were all white... but no, they were not. And for the most part, "white people" didn't have the same meaning anyway; your ethnicity was far more important (a British person wouldn't have considered themselves the same race as a Danish person, for example).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by advanta View Post
    Is there anything more pathetic than white people pretending they are victims?
    I think you mixed something up, I don't see anybody outside the far left spectrum complain about the lack of 'diversity' in medieval games.

Deleted
    Most non-fantasy western medieval games don't have katanas/dragons or whatever.
    And how many of those are number one sellers?

10+ Year Old Account
    No, they were not.
    Is this going to be a 'Yes it is', 'no its not' thing? Because if it is, we should just quit while we are ahead.
    Ethnicity was more important, but also irrelevant to the discussion, This about people whining about the large amount of white people in European medieval games.

People prefer to create things they are familiar with, thats why western Europa styled medieval styled games are so more common than other cultures.
    Its what the devs/writers of witcher did, make a game that is based on myths from Poland. The rest of the world is free to do the same.
    and I'm saying they can be a bit more creative. not demanding it but it would be refreshing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemposs View Post
    And how many of those are number one sellers?
    Eh.. what?

I don't even know what modern fantasy games that does have dragons and is completely white do exist.

Deleted

People moving around.. a lot was not uncommon. Mainly due to war and the habit of enslaving people. Being that slavery was fundamentally different in the past, said slaves would often be freed at some point, and their children would continue to live in that society.. which is why they were ethnically and racially just as diverse rather than being one race dominant.
    You're speaking of western nations right?

If so it wasn't really until the mid to late 1800s that racial minorities experienced comparable birth rates and growth to the dominant racial identity of said nation, blacks in the u.k were a historical minority and often sidelined until the early 1900s when some change occurred.

The u.s is a completely different story of course, but the majority if fantasy focuses upon European history.

I think you're overestimating the diversity present in the past...

Many people back then never left their home county, village, hamlet etc let alone actually travel to a country where they'd experience seeing so many different ethnicities.

Deleted
    Revionist inc.

Non christian barbarians weren't advised to travel to this parts of the world.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I agree with the Dev leading Warhorse studios when people started screaming "OMFG ONLY WHITE PEOPLE IN YOUR GAME SET IN A WHITE COUNTRY"

His response was "Are people on other continents and of other cultures so incompetent that they need me to produce their culture?"

Which is exactly correct, if you want your race represented make your own fucking games, stop trying to shit on people making THEIR own games.