Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Wow you ask for advice and when you get some you're just straight up rude.
    Honestly, the guy gave a retarded 'answer' as if he read 2 sentences and just wanted to bash the OP.

Quote Originally Posted by Led ++ View Post
    Honestly, the guy gave a retarded 'answer' as if he read 2 sentences and just wanted to bash the OP.
    Their plan really is to go there and teach English... it is true that if that is the primary (and if it's his only plan that's even worse) plan he should rethink it.

I didn't read through all the responses but some of them got me puzzled. Some people just are not secure enough, it's crazy! And before you think I'm like your girlfriend, I'm not, I plan my life months/years ahead.. For example, I recently did a 3 week trip to Ireland/Scotland/England where I booked 6 plane tickets / 2 cars / 21 hotels / 18 activites months in advance and everything down to where we would eat was established and went according to plan.

We're at the end of july, that gives you 3 months to figure out the essentials, which is mainly, where to stay and where to work. In my book, that is PLENTY of time to do so. Get all your facts straight, fill in the paperwork in advance, write down all the possible avenues to get work, figure out the best place to stay that should be close enough to all possible work places while still not costing you too much. The fact that you have money on the side and a car to sell definitely extends the time you got to figure it out. Worst case, always keep enough to get a ticket back home. Before leaving you should have a place to stay or at the very least have a few places to visit before committing, the work can come in later.

BTW, I also did a crazy trip through japan, 2 weeks where we went Nikko, Gunma, Tokyo, Kamakura, Nara, Koyasan, Kyoto, Hiroshima, Miyajima. With the rail system they have there, it would be quite feasible to stay outside Tokyo but still work there. And I'm sure you won't take this advice since you didn't visit but I would stay in Nara, it is a much nicer place to stay than Tokyo, big enough to find work but much more rural, slow paced and calm.

And for everyone saying Japanese don't like foreigners, I don't know if you actually went to Japan, but it was FAR from being our experience. I would even say that in all my travels, the japanese were the friendliest! Of course, I'm not talking about Tokyo where no one cares about anyone but if you go out of the beaten path, for example, when we went to Gunma, not one of them spoke english but they were very accomodating and we even made friends with an old man who helped us understand that we needed to switch trains because a tree fell on the tracks during a typhoon the night before. He kept us company until we were safely back to Tokyo.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lohkay View Post
    snip
    Going on a 2-3 week holiday is insanely different than moving abroad for 1+ year with the intention to work.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Knadra View Post
    I'm an American professor who teaches in Tokyo. Living in Japan can be a lot of fun depending on where you live. A lot of teachers come here thinking they can go out partying every weekend and get to experience a very weird and amazing culture.

The reality is that most teachers end up living very far out of the interesting urban centers and tend to live regular, uneventful suburban lives. Yes you can explore the country when you aren't working but there are many downsides to living here as well. As you said, you don't speak Japanese so expect to have a much less vibrant social life.

You also need to take into account that costs of living are outrageous in Japan and unless the school you are working for gives you heavy subsidies you are not going to have a lot of money to take trips and go out a lot (which can also be very expensive). You are also most likely going to be paid a salary based on the Yen which is incredibly weak to the Dollar and the Euro right now.

That's just my two cents. Good luck.

I agree.

In this case, OP, I am exactly what you are looking for since I've been teaching and studying in Japan for most of my life while being a complete foreigner.

I live here because it is what I know, I grew up in a Foreign Service family so I actually have a reason to live here. You need to understand something though OP, although I have lived here upwards of twenty years and am fluent in Japanese, I will never be considered one of them. It is not just because I'm white. Japanese stick to their own and you're unlikely to meet many Japanese people who want to mingle and become long term friends with Gaijin.

One last thing, Aussies can have a tough time getting a job to teach English because frankly, you speak it pretty poorly. They want Americans first and some schools will take well spoken Brits.
    Listen to this guy ^^^

10+ Year Old Account
    Youre both young, go for it!!

And for everyone saying Japanese don't like foreigners, I don't know if you actually went to Japan, but it was FAR from being our experience. I would even say that in all my travels, the japanese were the friendliest! Of course, I'm not talking about Tokyo where no one cares about anyone but if you go out of the beaten path, for example, when we went to Gunma, not one of them spoke english but they were very accomodating and we even made friends with an old man who helped us understand that we needed to switch trains because a tree fell on the tracks during a typhoon the night before. He kept us company until we were safely back to Tokyo.
    Like what Derpette said, a vacation is different than settling somewhere for a long term period. Japanese are friendly and polite to strangers but that is all you will ever likely be with a Japanese person, a stranger.

I've lived here upwards of 20 years and I have made countless foreign friends and 0 Japanese ones over the course of that time period. Japanese are not inclusive people. Bullying is a huge problem in Japan and your heritage and bloodline are incredibly important to your social standing.

They don't give a shit about foreigners in the slightest, you could be wearing a $10,000 Valentino suit or a hoodie with baggie jeans and it is all the same to a Japanese person. You are not one of them and you never will be so you aren't worth their time.
    Last edited by Deletedaccount1; 2015-07-23 at 09:46 PM.

Hello, I mean I'm Japanese and spend a lot of time in Japan (obviously) but I can't really help you with the teacher specific thing because I have never really put any research into that since I don't have any desire to teach. I will say that it is definitely a lot smarter to plan things out instead of just hopping into it and hoping it works. Not being fluent in the language will make things a bit harder too, maybe not with getting a job teaching english but with other things overall.

As for the conversation about treatment what Knadra says is pretty much right. Admittedly yes we are somewhat racist towards people who are not Japanese. Most of us are not going to be rude or anything like that of course, that's not what I mean. We as a society/culture are usually polite and kind towards foreigners, but long term you will never truly "fit in" so to speak.

Regardless if you go I wish you the best of luck and hope you have a good time.

Do you have a work Visa?
    if not dont even think about it yet.
    Japan is great for tourist but they also really are strict when it comes to granting work visas.

Quote Originally Posted by Megitsune View Post
    Hello, I mean I'm Japanese and spend a lot of time in Japan (obviously) but I can't really help you with the teacher specific thing because I have never really put any research into that since I don't have any desire to teach. I will say that it is definitely a lot smarter to plan things out instead of just hopping into it and hoping it works. Not being fluent in the language will make things a bit harder too, maybe not with getting a job teaching english but with other things overall.

As for the conversation about treatment what Knadra says is pretty much right. Admittedly yes we are somewhat racist towards people who are not Japanese. Most of us are not going to be rude or anything like that of course, that's not what I mean. We as a society/culture are usually polite and kind towards foreigners, but long term you will never truly "fit in" so to speak.

Regardless if you go I wish you the best of luck and hope you have a good time.
    Even most xenophobic cultures let people in after a while. Sounds like quite a shitty facet of Japanese culture.
    Last edited by Kuntantee; 2015-07-23 at 10:11 PM.

Deleted
    Honest question: what is it that so many people find so special about Japan? Hope I don't sound rude, just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    Wow you ask for advice and when you get some you're just straight up rude.

What he said is useful in some areas English teachers (especially foreign ones) aren't highly regarded, very marginalized and often underpaid.
    What he said wasn't useful, it was nit picky. Also my thread, I'll decide when and where I am courteous.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dawnrage View Post
    I don't understand the point of this thread. Anyone that says anything you don't like, or subsequently comments about the topic that they have no idea about (as you seem to do, even though you have no experience with it either, besides google from what I can tell?), just seems to provoke your ire. Are you looking for something to quell the relationship problems(?) that seem to be coming out of a decision like this, or are you looking for actual advice regarding living in japan as a foreign teacher, or something completely different?

I don't think many people here will have experience with something like that, as I would say your circumstances are pretty unique, where you seem to be going there in a matter of weeks with no real proper planning.

Either way, it sounds like this is something that you and your GF are going to do regardless, so I don't think anything anyone says will change your mind. As for "tips", well, I think that's a wash too since my advice would also be to plan this out properly, but I don't think it's a bad idea to drop it all and move to a completely new environment. At the very least there would be some valuable experiences from that.
    Why do threads need to have a point?

Sometimes I want input on multiple things. And obviously when people say things I "don't like" (aka unsubstantiated or unresearched gibberish) I don't say "omg thank you for your horrible point of view".

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    What ever you do, do not, I repeat, do fucking not let your gf there alone. Especially if she is "adventurous". She'll be fucking someone else before you can finish your research.
    If she wanted to do that I would let her. I've said it before and I'll say it again, you guys don't need to worry about our relationship.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by khalltusk View Post
    I have a friend who is doing the Jet course/program. He has been there a couple of years now I think. He did not know much Japanese but had the qualifications to teach English. So far he's having a blast..
    Second time I've heard good things about the Jet program! Thanks so much for your input.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kuntantee View Post
    * Needs help on a particular topic
    * Claims people have no idea on that topic

If you know what you are talking about, why seek help in the first place?
    Because there is a spectrum of knowing nothing and knowing everything.

I am in the middle of that spectrum, and want help from people who are further towards the "knowing everything" end.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Knadra View Post
    I'm an American professor who teaches in Tokyo. Living in Japan can be a lot of fun depending on where you live. A lot of teachers come here thinking they can go out partying every weekend and get to experience a very weird and amazing culture.

The reality is that most teachers end up living very far out of the interesting urban centers and tend to live regular, uneventful suburban lives. Yes you can explore the country when you aren't working but there are many downsides to living here as well. As you said, you don't speak Japanese so expect to have a much less vibrant social life.

You also need to take into account that costs of living are outrageous in Japan and unless the school you are working for gives you heavy subsidies you are not going to have a lot of money to take trips and go out a lot (which can also be very expensive). You are also most likely going to be paid a salary based on the Yen which is incredibly weak to the Dollar and the Euro right now.

That's just my two cents. Good luck.

- - - Updated - - -

I agree.

In this case, OP, I am exactly what you are looking for since I've been teaching and studying in Japan for most of my life while being a complete foreigner.

I live here because it is what I know, I grew up in a Foreign Service family so I actually have a reason to live here. You need to understand something though OP, although I have lived here upwards of twenty years and am fluent in Japanese, I will never be considered one of them. It is not just because I'm white. Japanese stick to their own and you're unlikely to meet many Japanese people who want to mingle and become long term friends with Gaijin.

- - - Updated - - -

One last thing, Aussies can have a tough time getting a job to teach English because frankly, you speak it pretty poorly. They want Americans first and some schools will take well spoken Brits.
    Thanks, this is all really useful input.

I know that the pay is low and the chances of just "partying all the time" are similar. It's more to have a living out of the home country experience in a place where I know I already like the culture and the people. I know I'll never be "one of them" (that was really apparent early on) but that's fine, I'm usually happy just playing games and hanging out anyway.

Worst comes to worst its not like I don't have other places to go to, but this seems like it would be a really valuable experience. I'm a double passport holder (AU and EU) so plenty of options to travel the world but this seems to be a good idea.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Derpette View Post
    You seem to be going over the getting a job thing really quickly. Apparently based on some google searches and maybe an anecdote? You say you need more time to prepare but finding a job would be #1 concern by FAR, so you clearly got that settled so I wouldn't be too worried and just go along with your partner. As my 2 cents, if it is really THAT easy to find a job, you don't think competition for those jobs is high? What makes you think they will choose you over someone who can speak japanese on top? Or someone who also has a teaching degree? Or as Knadra said, an american or brit?
    I understand your doubt, rest assured I don't just assume I strap on my job helmet and jump in my job cannon and fire off to job land where jobbies grow on job trees.

Its more that I can handle the job aspect of it (I work in recruitment, I know the biz) but am more interested in input from on other topics.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post
    I read somewhere that Japanese people generally hate outsiders that live/work there.
    This is fairly consistent but I think is more true for other industries.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    Their plan really is to go there and teach English... it is true that if that is the primary (and if it's his only plan that's even worse) plan he should rethink it.
    In what way is that true? You get that teaching english is literally one of the best (and only) ways to work there right?

Honestly you people come into these threads like the topic is "how do I make ice" and then post responses like "if you are going to try and make ice by freezing water, you should probably stop trying to make ice" and wonder why I don't take you seriously.

- - - Updated - - -

BTW, I also did a crazy trip through japan, 2 weeks where we went Nikko, Gunma, Tokyo, Kamakura, Nara, Koyasan, Kyoto, Hiroshima, Miyajima. With the rail system they have there, it would be quite feasible to stay outside Tokyo but still work there. And I'm sure you won't take this advice since you didn't visit but I would stay in Nara, it is a much nicer place to stay than Tokyo, big enough to find work but much more rural, slow paced and calm.

I did visit Nara, it seemed really lovely so thanks for the advice.

Also I think you may be confusing how friendly Japanese people are with tourists compared to people who stay there permanently (there is a difference).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by godgunner View Post
    Do you have a work Visa?
    if not dont even think about it yet.
    Japan is great for tourist but they also really are strict when it comes to granting work visas.
    You don't need a work visa if you are from Australia, our countries have close ties. Also all that kind of thing is organised through the language teaching programs.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mayonnaise the Instrument View Post
    Honest question: what is it that so many people find so special about Japan? Hope I don't sound rude, just curious.
    A whole variety of things. The culture is really deeply spiritual and respectful, especially coming from somewhere which is loud and crude like Australia.

The food is obviously amazing, the people are absolutely lovely, the history is incredibly deep and the country is very scenic and beautiful.

More than anything its the polar opposite of where I live, so living over there would be an incredible experience.

If I had to be brutally honest, there are things I like about Australia and a lot that I don't like. Sure the weather is nice but its a country of xenophobic, uneducated, white christian racists with hard rightwing views. People are loud and idiotic most of the time and its pretty alienating for anyone with half a brain.

I'm sure its great to immigrate here from europe and be like "omg I can go to the beach every day" but it gets old bro.

Quote Originally Posted by Kanadei View Post
    I did visit Nara, it seemed really lovely so thanks for the advice.

Also I think you may be confusing how friendly Japanese people are with tourists compared to people who stay there permanently (there is a difference).
    You might be right but I think its just a matter of wording. I think Japanese a friendly and will help in case of need, regardless of race and how much time you've spent there. On the other hand they are a community that holds itself together, they will prefer employing Japanese and making friends with their own race before anything else. You can see this aspect with the gaming console sales. Anywhere else in the world, the xbox one is roughly on par with the ps4 but in Japan, the xbox barely sells anything. But one thing is for sure, they all want to learn english so of all the jobs available to gaijings in Japan, teaching english should be the easiest to get.

You might be right but I think its just a matter of wording. I think Japanese a friendly and will help in case of need, regardless of race and how much time you've spent there. On the other hand they are a community that holds itself together, they will prefer employing Japanese and making friends with their own race before anything else. You can see this aspect with the gaming console sales. Anywhere else in the world, the xbox one is roughly on par with the ps4 but in Japan, the xbox barely sells anything. But one thing is for sure, they all want to learn english so of all the jobs available to gaijings in Japan, teaching english should be the easiest to get.
    Yeah I used to work as a game critic and Microsoft may as well not sell in Japan for all the mileage they get out of it. Japanese people have strong brand loyalty, most successful companies there have been around 100+ years compared to the US where the biggest companies are usually 5-15 years old.

Japanese people are incredibly polite and helpful by nature, I know they may not be particularly exclusive but to be honest I'm a pretty self sufficient person and don't really like people getting in my business anyway. Also my partner seems to have some 6th sense for meeting people and making friends, people will literally come up to her on the street for no reason.

While we were in Japan she made friends with the bartenders like twice and when they closed up we went clubbing with them and their japanese friends so it was a pretty solid experience.

Lots of useful input in this thread so really appreciate everyone weighing in.

15+ Year Old Account
    I have a friend who taught English for a year in Japan, she really loved it. Also have 2 who have been working there for about 8 years now, not as English teacher, while they enjoy the country, the work side isn't the best.

Japan is one of those countries where it shouldn't be too hard to find work as English teachers. And if it fails, cross a tiny sea and you'll find tons of offers in China (spent 2 months there last year, without looking for any I got a few job offers as English teacher, they are really really lacking there)

Quote Originally Posted by Turkey One View Post
    Moving without first having a place to stay and work already lined up would be legitimately stupid if you have the option of planning and securing those things before leaving. Not to mention that you aren't even fluent in their language. Taking that kind of risk for literally no reason other than "Hey I like it there" is totally out of the question IMO.
    Except for the language part, that's exactly what I did last year. And that was one of the best decisions I ever made. This past year and a half has been absolutely amazing.

Oh, and except it wasn't "Hey I like it there" either, since I had never been there before, it was more "Hey that city in that country looks good, I'll go there" (even if it's litteraly on the opposite side of the world).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post
    I read somewhere that Japanese people generally hate outsiders that live/work there.
    Mostly for office jobs, teachers (especially foreign language ones) don't really get that.
    Oh, hi.

Quote Originally Posted by Ysilla View Post
    I have a friend who taught English for a year in Japan, she really loved it. Also have 2 who have been working there for about 8 years now, not as English teacher, while they enjoy the country, the work side isn't the best.

Japan is one of those countries where it shouldn't be too hard to find work as English teachers. And if it fails, cross a tiny sea and you'll find tons of offers in China (spent 2 months there last year, without looking for any I got a few job offers as English teacher, they are really really lacking there)
    Awesome, where are you from? do you know what program they used?

It seems fairly consistent that working there as a foreigner outside of teaching is pretty rough.

But we definitely couldn't go to China. My girlfriend is a vegetarian and feels very passionately about treatment of animals and basically is racist again China and chinese people as a result.

inb4 japanese people don't treat animals that well either etc. this hypocrisy doesn't seem to concern her so i don't push it

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    You should rethink this if your whole plan is "teach English or something".

I heard from quite a few people that foreign language teachers aren't exactly highly regarded, especially outside of the major cities, as people see very little importance in that.
    I second this, but not because teachers are looked down upon, but because every foreign person out there is betting all their money on getting a teacher job. The market is quite saturated at this point you can understand. You really need to stand out in that big mass if you want to have it easy. So you need to ask yourself, why should they hire you? Just because you like Japan? Not gonna work.

One thing that may help though is getting a JLPT certificate (Japanese love certificates). Having N2 or N1 will really make you stand out and will ensure your employee there will be no problems communicating. N3 is good too, but less wanted than the other two. But I realize those are quite hard to get without proper studying.

Quote Originally Posted by Kanadei View Post
    That isn't one question, that's several.

But to answer you:

1. I have roughly $15,000 AUD and more I could probably get access to
    2. We spent 10 days in Japan, 5 in Kyoto and 5 in Tokyo
    3. I could not go 5 months without any income, but that seems fairly extreme.
    4. I would get rid of the large majority of it and store what I had to on family properties. I'd likely give a lot of it to my brother (he has a house he just leased). I'm more than willing to buy it all when I come back, it's mainly just tables, book cases, a bed, lamps. Average stuff with no personal attachment.

I'm more than prepared to fail and come back, but I think you underestimate the level of support (and demand) there are for english teachers in Japan.
    Here's how I'd look at it.

Would you be making more money working in japan than you would in Australia? If not, then I wouldn't make the jump and instead just plan another, longer trip for next year. Maybe aligning it with some conventions or other event to act as a keystone to the rest of the trip. Being an english teacher abroad doesn't have a lot of room to move up in terms of payscale, you're not really bi-lingual, and while you'll probably very rapidly pick up the language simply by being immersed in it for a year, you will likely lack the literacy needed to move into other positions.

Assuming your lease is to a landlord (and not to the bank) see if you can negotiate a partial term to buy yourself some time. Chances are that you'll likely not be starting work until September (if that's even the beginning of the term in Japan) or after the summer break in general, which means that november is likely too late in the season (and unless you can somehow get all your paperwork and a pair of plane tickets arranged in the next 30 days or so, chances are you're going to need the extra year).

The second thing is evaluating the unlikely scenarios. What happens if you and your girlfriend break up while teaching abroad, or only one of you manages to secure a teaching position, gets suddenly terminated, evicted, etc. would keep enough money in a nest-egg to get yourself home if shit hits the fan, and advise your SO to do the same. having the both of you move out at once really complicates the matter.

Would also see if any of the positions open have relocation assistance available; would be highly likely and give you a resource you can leverage to land yourself a furnished apartment without having to look around in advance. It's very very likely that they do have places set aside for people teaching abroad.

Quote Originally Posted by Shuji V2 View Post
    I second this, but not because teachers are looked down upon, but because every foreign person out there is betting all their money on getting a teacher job. The market is quite saturated at this point you can understand. You really need to stand out in that big mass if you want to have it easy. So you need to ask yourself, why should they hire you? Just because you like Japan? Not gonna work.

One thing that may help though is getting a JLPT certificate (Japanese love certificates). Having N2 or N1 will really make you stand out and will ensure your employee there will be no problems communicating. N3 is good too, but less wanted than the other two. But I realize those are quite hard to get without proper studying.
    Is the market saturated? I've had two people with the same educational background as myself go over in the last 12-24 months without any issues.

I mean, obviously getting further qualifications would help and is something I have considered, I was just operating under the impression (especially judging from the amount of jobs I've seen listed) that there were plenty of opportunities available. If I have to I'm happy to do some courses and quals, it doesn't really bother me. I'm a pretty literate person so further study isn't a problem.

Whats your background on this out of interest? I'm guessing you are Japanese?

Deleted
    Seems you got an easy girlfriend lol. But seriously, can't you just ask her to tone it down a bit and wait to settle it down for the next few months so you'll feel more comfortable? Or is it only about her her her? Because that's the feeling I'm getting here. There are a lot of great suggestions in this thread but everything comes down to your girlfriend wants to leave immediately and doesn't care about the rest. Just tell her you don't feel comfortable if you just leave now without too much of preparations. And also be honest about you don't liking it she's there all alone with you being at hom tieing all the last cords together (don't mention the money ofcourse). Why would she need to leave NOW and WITHOUT YOU I DON'T CARE and can't she just ease down and be patient with you? Seems really weird to me if she doesn't want to do that for you tbh.

Oh and btw this isn't a bash but just my opinion about the situation, I hope your girlfriend changes her mind because you already are flowing with her enough already.