Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Melee vs ranged in HFC

Since there has not been big complaints I believe that melee and ranged have been more balanced in T18 compared to the previous tier. My own, VERY subjective opinion about which one is better:

Hellfire Assault - melee
    Iron Reaver - ranged
    Kormrok - ranged
    Hellfire High Council - ranged
    Kilrogg Deadeye - melee
    Gorefiend - melee
    Shadow-Lord Iskar - melee
    Socrethar the Eternal - ranged
    Tyrant Velhari - ranged
    Fel Lord Zakuun - melee
    Xhul'horac - melee
    Mannoroth - melee
    Archimonde - ranged

Deleted
    How come the melee is better at Hellfire Assault, especially in mythic? Also, I cant see any reasons why melee would be better on Kilrogg when there are adds spawning constantly which you need to kill. Moreover, the death throes damage hits melee harder since it deals more damage the closer you are. Just like Kilrogg, Gorefiend is also a fight with constant add spawns which need to be killed, also there are things to be soaked during Feast of Souls, which means ranged classes like Hunters are by far the superior choice on that fight.

On Fel Lord, it's better for a ranged class to soak the pillars because they wont lose dps in the meantime unless the boss is too far away, whereas for a melee it's a certain dps loss. Dodging the waves is equally hard for both melee and ranged, however melee can be slightly better here as some ranged may need to stop casting in order to dodge the waves.

People dont complain because they are already used to: mele = useless class and a burden to your raid!

I like how good a job Blizzard have done at making both ranged and melee feel necessary on most fights in HFC. I also don't feel particularly disadvantaged as either. Best raid for a while in that respect IMO.

Not sure I agree with your "analysis"

As usual you want a somewhat balanced comp. It's only if your comp is badly skewed towards one or the other that you start to notice problems.

Also:
    Kilrogg, melee? Really? Lets just lose time going to kill the bloods!
    Fel Lord: Melee? Lets lose time and potential wipe the raid soaking all the pools
    Gorefiend: Melee? They lose time target switching on adds compared to ranged.

This is just off the top of my head. Your analysis is bad.

Aye, I think the problem with that analysis is that the fights that "favour" melee only do so on the assumption that certain jobs are being taken care of by the ranged So it's not so much a list of which is actually better to bring as it is a list of who has the easier life once you've brought a balanced composition!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Deja Thoris View Post
    Also:
    Kilrogg, melee? Really? Lets just lose time going to kill the bloods!
    Fel Lord: Melee? Lets lose time and potential wipe the raid soaking all the pools
    Gorefiend: Melee? They lose time target switching on adds compared to ranged.

This is just off the top of my head. Your analysis is bad.
    melee have disadvantages. Are you new to wow raiding or did you just notice this?

Quote Originally Posted by Saggy View Post
    melee have disadvantages. Are you new to wow raiding or did you just notice this?
    Did you even read my post or did you just post to remove all doubts about how stupid you are?

The OP said the fights quoted favour melee. I disagreed with reasons why.

Kilrogg Deadeye - melee?!? Kilrogg DEMANDS range

Try doing kilrogg in a pug full of melee and then try a pug full of range. Range = 1 shot, melee = fustration abounds from heartseaker misplacements, fel corrupted bloods, extra hulks, etc.

All fights require a decent amount of melee AND ranged.

When I set up a normal group, besides the tanks, I like to get about 2-3 melee. In a 2/4/9 scheme, I will not have two of the same class as melee, but might have multiple range of the same class.

So I might have a rogue, warrior, paly for melee dps, but two hunters, two mages, an ele shaman, and a warlock for range dps. That's 6 range and 3 melee, which I believe is great for HFC.
    MY X/Y POKEMON FRIEND CODE: 1418-7279-9541 In Game Name: Michael__

7+ Year Old Account
    I decided to take on the role of DPS for this expansion (tank/healer exclusive for my whole WoW career)
    I'm thinking I'll do Ranged DPS if I don't go back to tanking/healing) because Melee always seems to be a burden on the raid.
    The world isn't as bad as you think.

Quote Originally Posted by dixincide View Post
    I decided to take on the role of DPS for this expansion (tank/healer exclusive for my whole WoW career)
    I'm thinking I'll do Ranged DPS if I don't go back to tanking/healing) because Melee always seems to be a burden on the raid.
    Just the ones who don't know what they're doing. You can't tunnel-vision every boss. You have to be aware of the mechanics of the fights.
    MY X/Y POKEMON FRIEND CODE: 1418-7279-9541 In Game Name: Michael__

Deleted
    Iron Reaver .................

10+ Year Old Account
    We, the Glorious Ranged DPS Master Race are quite concerned that the Filthy Melee DPS Peasants dare to take aim at our unquestionable supremacy.

I assure you, the rumors of melee usefulness in raids are greatly exaggerated!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Deja Thoris View Post
    Did you even read my post or did you just post to remove all doubts about how stupid you are?

The OP said the fights quoted favour melee. I disagreed with reasons why.
    The reasons you listed make it seem like this is your first raiding tier.

Quote Originally Posted by Saggy View Post
    The reasons you listed make it seem like this is your first raiding tier.
    As opposed to your valuable contribution to the thread which is what exactly?

Deleted
    As usual melees are a burden to the raid. You can clean the raid without melees, you cannot do it without ranged (or it will be much much harder). From my pov it's the same problem as always has been.

Hellfire Assault - Ranged (easier to dodge shit and kill machines at 3min on mythic)
    Iron Reaver - ranged obviously (bombs needs to be killed across all room)
    Kormrok - ranged
    Hellfire High Council - ranged
    Kilrogg Deadeye - ranged (bloods)
    Gorefiend - ranged (adds everywhere chasing you)
    Shadow-Lord Iskar - ranged (fire beams)
    Socrethar the Eternal - ranged (good luck killing adds with melees)
    Tyrant Velhari - ranged (good luck dodging fire at melee)
    Fel Lord Zakuun - ranged (soak)
    Xhul'horac - ranged (fire has to be placed properly, and also kill adds)
    Mannoroth - ranged (kill elementals)
    Archimonde - ranged (kill adds, fire/laser shit)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by seijulala View Post
    As usual melees are a burden to the raid.
    Yes, I have heard that many times. But then why guilds stubbornly take melee in raid if a full ranged team would be superior?

Quote Originally Posted by Siniwelho View Post
    Yes, I have heard that many times. But then why guilds stubbornly take melee in raid if a full ranged team would be superior?
    There's no way a full ranged raid would be better. NO WAY DK's/Rogues and even warriors havn't had extremely large roles in HFC. DK's grips are insanely usefull, rogues are still the masters of soaking stuff and warriors are extremely, extremely strong on any fight where execute is important.

A balanced raid with melee+ranged is simply the best setup. No idea why anyone would think method would gimp themselves by taking melee when ANY of those melee could EASILY log a ranged alt at the start of the tier. A ranged-only setup wouldn't even come close.

Bad melee are a burden which is exactly the same statement as a bad ranged...

Good Rogue > Most good ranged classes.

/end