ESL to begin testing for PEDs

http://espn.go.com/moresports/story/...ague-test-peds

As the popularity and money associated with e-sports has skyrocketed, the world's largest gaming organization, the ESL, announced Thursday it would begin to explore a comprehensive drug testing program.

"We've known for some time that performance enhancing drugs could be a challenge that we'd eventually need to face," James Lampkin, vice president of pro gaming for the league, told ESPN.com. "With the explosive growth of our events and industry, the stakes have gotten to a point where, just like traditional athletes, some have begun to look for that extra edge. With knowledge that there was likely active abuse of PEDs taking place, we immediately began serious discussions with top drug agencies for methods of prevention."

In order to make sure of an even playing field, the ESL, which is headquartered in Germany, said it has partnered with the National Anti-Doping Agency (NADA) in its country to take the next steps and will also involve the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) to help carry out its ruled and penalties when a policy is formed.

Lampkin said the key moment for the ESL was when Kory "Semphis" Friesen, who played Counter Strike, with $250,000 in prizes on the line, claimed during in interview that he and his team had taken Adderall when they played at an event in Poland. The drug is used for ADHD, but in small doses has been found to increase stamina and alertness. The drug is banned by the major sports leagues for this reason.

"While it is impossible to go back and test the players, this really was the catalyst to demand immediate action for the integrity of our sport," Lampkin said.

Part of the reason for engaging the anti-doping agencies, Lampkin said, is to be able to stay ahead of the game.

"Psychostimulants like Adderall and beta-blockers look to be the most popular right now, but in the same way athletics commissions are constantly battling against the newest PEDs available, we expect our challenge to be similar," Lampkin said.

The ESL said it will immediately begin skin testing for performance enhancing drugs at ESL One, which takes place in Germany next month.
    So I have to admit I'm kinda surprised at this, and have a few general thoughts on it.

I'm supportive of it, as someone who is very much anti drug in the first place but also as someone who respects the notion of an even playing field in competition, regardless of what it is. Even though Esports have been a thing for awhile its growth into the general mainstream means that the sooner the better on programs like this to add a layer of legitimacy to this situation. Establishing strong benchmarks of action and policy can only have a positive impact on keeping PEDs from casting the kind of shadow it does over baseball and the Olympics especially, but other sports leagues and organizations as well.

I think it also acts as another catalyst to put PED testing back into discussion for those leagues that are dragging their feet on it, NFL and NHL especially are known as somewhat to very lax in regards to their testing procedures, much like MLB was before the huge scandals forced them to be more proactive about it. There's obviously several ways that scenario plays out:

1. "Well if video game leagues are doing legit PED testing we better do so as well or look like fools for not doing it."
    2. "No one cares if some nerd is hopped up on stuff to kill other nerds in a video game faster, they're wasting their time."
    3. "The general populace, our sponsors and media types are using this gaming league PED publicity stunt to try to force our hand firmer and quicker than we and the players union want to."
    4. All of the above, with mixed amounts of increased effort and attention/drama/publicity from it.

ESL really has nothing to lose here and quite a bit to gain. Increased publicity, legitimacy as a growing brand of entertainment, major kudos across the spectrum for reinvigorating the discussion on PEDs, and other things I'm sure. The most they stand to endure negatively is mockery from those types that wouldn't support or want them to succeed anyway, so I think this is a pretty big deal all around with lots of potential to help draw interest from fringe gamers or would be types who have no idea stuff like this is even going on. Of course this is all contingent on them taking a very serious and strict stance on PEDs and engaging in vigorous testing but from the linked article I can't think that they'd do anything but that.
    The Fresh Prince of Baudelaire

Banned at least 10 times. Don't give a fuck, going to keep saying what I want how I want to.

Eat meat. Drink water. Do cardio and burpees. The good life.

What drugs would help a gamer? Meth? Some of the ones prescribed for ADD?

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Don't need fiends competing with normally people. If they want an all drug user league Im ok with that, and it goes for any sport.

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    This was my thought exactly, the only thing I could think is a drug to increase focus maybe? I really don't think anything would end up being helpful though.

Adderall is like gaming steroids.

And by "like" I mean my dps goes up.
    Last edited by unfilteredJW; 2015-07-23 at 10:22 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by unfilteredJW View Post

DPS don't mean much if your FPS is low. That's why you gotta chug it down with Mountain Dew!

I was actually shocked after I was prescribed it and that first raid night I went from 5th to 2nd.

I stopped working culinary 3 years ago but I almost want to get a small side gig to see if it makes me more effective at that.

In one of the paragraphs it mentions Adderall, but I imagine anything that increased mental focus, physical and mental stamina would be on their radar to test for.
    The Fresh Prince of Baudelaire

Banned at least 10 times. Don't give a fuck, going to keep saying what I want how I want to.

Eat meat. Drink water. Do cardio and burpees. The good life.

But at what point do they just find doctors to prescribe the drug to them. Since most focus based drugs are doctor prescribed. If they mark the drugs as PEDs what about the people that legitimately need it. I know you're thinking its a BS drug, but it does help people as well. It isn't like there is a ton of traditional PED style drugs that would have a direct impact on ESL gaming that can't just be prescribed by a legit physician.

Adderall is banned in pro sports but lots of players still use it because it can be medically prescribed just like pain killers in athletic sports. Its a catch 22. Basically its going to bust players who smoke pot and that is about it. Then do you ban Caffeine because it is a stamina/focus increasing drug?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by unfilteredJW View Post

Adderall is treated like steroids by the NFL, NBA and MLB. Not sure about others...

Being a Seahawks fan, you kinda learn about that... *walks off whistling*
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Anything that increases focus, decreases anxiety, etc. A lot of pro players in multiple games have admitted to using them.

Deleted
    I was thinking at first... "Why would they test for penile erecticle dysfunction?". ._.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Itisamuh View Post
    Anything that increases focus, decreases anxiety, etc. A lot of pro players in multiple games have admitted to using them.
    Stuff that decreases anxiety generally makes you drowsy as well.

I once read a leaked forum post from a high-level progression raiding guild in WoW detailing the steps to keep yourself healthy during the huge amphetamine binges the raid team was going on. Eyedrops, eating lightly every hour or so, the proper lighting, etc.

15+ Year Old Account
    Well, I never really knew this was a real probelm? I guess increasing your reaction time would be what you would be trying to achieve when taking them. Wonder if they will test for caffeine, it decreases your reaction time, same as amphetamines(taking too much could have the opposite effects), Cocaine, and Provigil.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiili Mooneye View Post
    I was thinking at first... "Why would they test for penile erecticle dysfunction?". ._.
    Get your mind out of the gutter Tilli.
    Last edited by apepi; 2015-07-23 at 11:02 PM.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

I wonder what if you are legitimately prescribed adderall so to bring you to normal levels of functioning? So if you aren't allowed to take it to function normally you are just screwed?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by apepi View Post
    Get your mind out of the gutter Tilli.
    It's not in the gutter. ._.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoldor View Post
    Basically its going to bust players who smoke pot and that is about it.
    While I agree it's likely going to be a joke considering everyone can get it prescribed I don't see a problem with "busting" those. Overcoming nerves is a huge part of the whole thing.

Quote Originally Posted by dark666105 View Post
    I wonder what if you are legitimately prescribed adderall so to bring you to normal levels of functioning? So if you aren't allowed to take it to function normally you are just screwed?
    I know MLB has a waiver players can get to use Adderall, a therapeutic use exemption (TUE). It's actually how Chris Davis got suspended. He had a waiver, didn't get a new one, still used and got suspended, but then was able to get a waiver again.

10+ Year Old Account
    All doping that benefits conventional athletes.
    Because your concentration and reaction time is proportional to your overall fitness.
    So yeah.... Meth is one of many options.

Mens sana in corpore sano
    is a real thing.
    Last edited by Wildtree; 2015-07-24 at 12:19 AM.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."