Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Why is the song "Rape me" not zerged by feminists?

I'm just an average male Joe and I have read a lot of threads about feminism and stuff like that. Then I got drunk and I was listening to Nirvana. Then it hit me, why are people not in arms about the song rape me? I listened to it again and I can confirm that the person being raped is a guy. Where is the outrage?
    This is BULLSHIT. Some guy gets raped in a song and there is no? It is so *foreign* I don't even know what to expect. No I do. LESS OUTRAGE AT EVERYDAY LIFE OCCURRENCES. But pfft what do I know, I'm white and male. My opinion is racist and sexist.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nizah View Post
    why so mad bro

7+ Year Old Account
    Because it was written in the 90's by a now-dead artist and only dudes in their 40's listen to Nirvana these days?

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Because he's dead and already lost the Patriarchy Wars and Rape Battles.

Deleted
    Are we reaching the pinnacle of outrage here? Not only be outraged when people do or say dumb stuff, but also have to be outraged for the lack of things to be outraged at?

Deleted
    They just haven't discovered it yet.

P.S. don't give them ideas please.

There was controversy when it first came out. Caused Wal Mart to not stock the album or something like that. Then it was no big deal a month later. That was quite awhile ago now so you had people with thicker skin back then who really couldn't care that no one was up in arms about it. There's no outrage now because Nirvana is showing up on classic rock stations instead of pop rock ones and aren't newsworthy anymore, and also because people only get upset about the rape of women because of ingrained protect and preserve instincts developed over thousands of years.

Your last three sentences project way too much powerlessness, you shouldn't do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Mayonnaise the Instrument View Post

My thoughts exactly. If those types of people actually dug around through the back catalogs of bands both famous and not they'd find all sorts of things to fake rage about, meh.
    Last edited by Damajin; 2015-07-24 at 01:39 PM.
    The Fresh Prince of Baudelaire

Banned at least 10 times. Don't give a fuck, going to keep saying what I want how I want to.

Eat meat. Drink water. Do cardio and burpees. The good life.

Quote Originally Posted by Lava Bucket View Post
    Because it was written in the 90's by a now-dead artist and only dudes in their 40's listen to Nirvana these days?
    So you are saying it is OK for guys in their 40s to be raped? Any one else it is a crime? "Id like to report a rape". "Yes sir, what is your age?". "I am 42.". "I am sorry sir, 40 year olds cannot be raped, please age 8 years and then we will take action".

Why is song being ignored?
    why so mad bro

10+ Year Old Account
    Feminists dont care about stuff like this. Feminazies do.
    Hi

What about "Run For Your Life" by the Beatles? It's been out 50 years.
    You're not allowed to discuss conspiracy theories on mmo-champion, which makes me wonder what they're trying to hide.

2/10.

Must try harder.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by chrth View Post
    What about "Run For Your Life" by the Beatles? It's been out 50 years.
    Yeah thats a pretty messed up song lol ;D
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Quote Originally Posted by Lava Bucket View Post
    Ayup, pretty much that.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by munkeyinorbit View Post
    So you are saying it is OK for guys in their 40s to be raped? Any one else it is a crime? "Id like to report a rape". "Yes sir, what is your age?". "I am 42.". "I am sorry sir, 40 year olds cannot be raped, please age 8 years and then we will take action".

Why is song being ignored?
    Well if it is a guy being raped it is a MRA issue, and I know some guys that would love for you to expose this injustices of lyrics in a song and how it is damaging society and the male persona. https://www.reddit.com/r/TheRedPill/

We voting members of the Patriarchy like getting raped by attractive women. Yeah, it's a little sick I know, don't judge.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Lava Bucket, "dudes in their 40's"? God I hate kids Nirvana is great music no matter what age you discover them. I'm sure your Taylor Swift and Fallout boy will keep you warm at night though.

10+ Year Old Account
    I never really listened to Nirvana, but isn't it actually anti-rape song? Even though the lyrics might say otherwise, but I think it was meant to be anti-rape.

In general, wasn't Curt Cobain against all this fame bullshit and discrimination in all forms?

Because educated people know the definition and context of rape in the song?

Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    2/10.

Must try harder.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah thats a pretty messed up song lol ;D
    Do I need to try harder for a troll or do I need to try harder for the fact that male rape is the most under reported sex crime? Or is it that you don't find it interesting and just decided to give it a random number to make our self seem cool? Which one? I would love to hear your justification.
    why so mad bro

Quote Originally Posted by Damasscus View Post
    Lava Bucket, "dudes in their 40's"? God I hate kids Nirvana is great music no matter what age you discover them. I'm sure your Taylor Swift and Fallout boy will keep you warm at night though.
    Fallout Boy is better than Nirvana. I'm 40. Come at me.
    You're not allowed to discuss conspiracy theories on mmo-champion, which makes me wonder what they're trying to hide.

Quote Originally Posted by Mayonnaise the Instrument View Post
    Pretty much this.

iirc, Nirvana actually did do a few live shows where they were told beforehand not to play that song.

edit: looked it up. It was some MTV awards show. MTV told Nirvana not to play the song. They started acting like they were going to play it, and the people at MTV were shitting in their pants about to panic and switch to commercials right as the band cut it off and switched to another song.
    Last edited by Ciddy; 2015-07-24 at 01:45 PM.

Deleted
    A simple google to a simple wiki provides the solution yet again.

Kurt Cobain conceived "Rape Me" as a life-affirming anti-rape song. He told Spin, "It's like she's saying, 'Rape me, go ahead, rape me, beat me. You'll never kill me. I'll survive this and I'm gonna fucking rape you one of these days and you won't even know it.'"[7]

Nirvana biographer Michael Azerrad stated that "Rape Me" seemed to deal with Cobain's distaste of the media's coverage on his personal life. While Cobain said the song was written long before his troubles with drug addiction became public, he agreed that the song could be viewed in that light. Cobain also stated in a 1993 interview that "Rape Me" was a song meant to be so blunt that no one could misinterpret its meaning.[8]
    Turn's out Kurt was wrong as the OP has in fact misinterpreted it.

Edit: When I looked into this deeper I found a story about how Frances Cobain (his and Courtney Love's child) was taken into protective custody at just two weeks old on the assumption Courtney had taken heroic during pregnancy due to an out of context quote in Vanity Fair, this was another major motivating factor behind the writing of "Rape Me". As much as anything else it was a indictment of the media and society's pitch forking mentality.
    Last edited by mmoc5add4e95a0; 2015-07-24 at 01:50 PM.