Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Brewmaster Logs - class-specific log analysis

I've been working on a site taking advantage of Warcraft Logs' API to help track my performance as a Brewmaster and improve my basic rotation. I think it's gotten to the point where it's working pretty well, so I'd like to release it to the community.

http://www.brewmasterlogs.com

A caveat: I am neither a theorycrafter nor a top player, so the log analysis doesn't do anything too complicated. It's mostly aimed for people like me who recognize that their execution isn't perfect and want some way to track their performance and improvement.

Here is a sample report: http://www.brewmasterlogs.com/fights/495865ce5dfbcc49
    And here is a list of what the site can show you:
    Key metrics:
    - Damage per second (DPS)
    - Damage taken per second (DTPS
    - Self healing per second (SHPS)
    - External healing per second (EHPS)

Resource management
    - Kegsmash efficiency
    - Shuffle uptime
    - Time spent not energy-capped
    - Percentage of stagger purified

Cooldown efficiency
    - Guard
    - Elusive Brew
    - Fortifying Brew
    - Dampen Harm
    - Diffuse Magic
    - Zen Meditation

I think the cooldown section is actually pretty neat. For example, it looks at each attack you dodged while Elusive Brew was up, and tells you how much damage you avoided, so that you can see if you used it at an optimal time:

Another helpful feature is that you can look at all of your reports for a certain boss fight in the same place, and see if you're actually improving.

Hopefully this will be helpful to some people. Just comment here or find me on twitter if you have any questions.

Your example report looks neat.

Trying it out myself now and I can't really get it to work ideally. So heres some friendly feedback:

1. You only import personal logs from the given Warcraft Logs Username (also note its Case Sensitive).
    2. There is no other way to import the logs that I found. Guild names? Doesn't work. URL? Doesn't work. In-game character name? Doesn't work.
    3. Processing the reports seem to take "ages". Waited 10+ minutes so far and nothing (reloaded multiple times)

That might not be an issue for those who only log for themselves, however a lot of players have their Guild log the main-raids.

What Inactive said. I don't and can't log myself due performance issues, but would love to give your site a good shot. Having a search by characters name/realm or "paste url to log" -functionality is in my opinion pretty much mandatory for a service like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by a wiser man
    Tanking should not exist just to let healers and dps have fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coramac
    If a monk has 200k DTPS and 200k HPS in hots on him, does anyone hear when he purifies?
    WeakAura sets with Rotation Helpers: Vengeance - Brewmaster

ARMORY - ARMORY
    <Ninjapartio>

Quote Originally Posted by Inactive View Post
    Your example report looks neat.

Trying it out myself now and I can't really get it to work ideally. So heres some friendly feedback:

1. You only import personal logs from the given Warcraft Logs Username (also note its Case Sensitive).
    2. There is no other way to import the logs that I found. Guild names? Doesn't work. URL? Doesn't work. In-game character name? Doesn't work.
    3. Processing the reports seem to take "ages". Waited 10+ minutes so far and nothing (reloaded multiple times)

That might not be an issue for those who only log for themselves, however a lot of players have their Guild log the main-raids.
    Fair point. I don't know why I didn't think of importing logs by url. That shouldn't be too hard, but I will need to make easier to organize reports by character rather than by account.

I did see some errors in the logs, so I'll take a look at that when i get a chance. I've only been able to test with my own logs so far so I wouldn't be surprised if there are a few more bugs that need to be ironed out.

Thanks!

As with any one-man-project, having it first released completely bugfree means it never gets released. So much easier to find the kinks with multiple people using your software in different ways and workflows than you, yourself. Keep up the good work!
    Last edited by redfella; 2015-07-25 at 09:11 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by a wiser man
    Tanking should not exist just to let healers and dps have fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coramac
    If a monk has 200k DTPS and 200k HPS in hots on him, does anyone hear when he purifies?
    WeakAura sets with Rotation Helpers: Vengeance - Brewmaster

ARMORY - ARMORY
    <Ninjapartio>

Deleted
    I do really like the concept though. If the technical faults can be fine tuned, this is fantastic. Nice work!

Deleted
    The idea is fantastic imho and the interface is pretty neat !
    As said before, keep up the good work !

7+ Year Old Account
    i think putting in the username is difficult cause you gotta ask him and stuff i think i woud be better if we can just put in the url where the username belongs

Just posting to echo the encouragement. Looks very promosing. Looking forward to using it with some kinks worked out.

Hello!

It's a bit of a hack-job, but I've added the ability to import by report ID, and search existing reports by character name.

There were unfortunately a few restrictions with the WCL API that kept it from being perfect. If you import by report ID, it can't see information like the title/date of the report, so if that information's not showing up for you, that's why.

Also there didn't seem to be an easy way to see which server a character is on. All characters have a unique ID so the reports won't be mixed up, but it may be hard to tell two characters apart if they have the same name.

It's definitely still a work in progress, but hopefully this will work out better! I'd love it if you could take another look.

http://brewmasterlogs.com

7+ Year Old Account
    Played around with it for a few minutes now, and i have to say i am very much looking forwards to seeing how this might turn out! Great job!!

Deleted
    Really good job.

Considering that on a fight like mannoroth you'd have to do around 40 requests to get the full event log, the processing is actually pretty fast.

Do you have a C++ worker handling all the process requests or is everything done in PHP/Ruby?

Quote Originally Posted by Lamiwen View Post
    Really good job.

Considering that on a fight like mannoroth you'd have to do around 40 requests to get the full event log, the processing is actually pretty fast.

Do you have a C++ worker handling all the process requests or is everything done in PHP/Ruby?
    It's all in Ruby. Part of the reason why it's fast is because I'm ignoring everything that didn't involve a Brewmaster. If I actually had to handle every single event I'm sure it would take a lot more work.

Deleted
    I love the "Resource Management" tab (brewmasterlogs.com/fights/395d88af76a25de4?tab=resources)
    I know I can deduce all the info it displays from warcraftlogs but having them sumarized on a simple page with a simple, clever and easy to understand display is really interesting.

Also, the damage actually mitigated by Dampen Harm and such is something I particularly like !

Deleted
    Searching for Kabator

No characters found. Try again?
    Does it not work for EU characters or am I doing something wrong here?

Its only pulling up my 2014 logs that are still active. It is because I am a gold account on WCL? It looks really nice, keep up the good work.

Now that I can directly import WCL files it's working for me.
    Last edited by Feawen; 2015-07-25 at 09:42 PM. Reason: Update
    Quote Originally Posted by Leblue View Post
    Also, everything Misume said.
    Quote Originally Posted by Schizoide View Post
    If you don't want to reposition rotationally, don't main a Havoc Demon Hunter.

Excited to see how this plays out. I will mess around with it when I get home from work.

Quote Originally Posted by Kabator View Post
    Does it not work for EU characters or am I doing something wrong here?
    Oh yeah, sorry that was unclear. The character name search only works for reports that have already been imported to the site.
    To pull information from WCL, you still need either a WCL username, or the report URL

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Inactive View Post
    Were you by chance the person with the 10 minute Mythic Blastfurnace log? I'm re-processing that one, and it definitely is taking ages.
    It might just be an issue with the fight logs being huge, since the constant AOE gives you an insane number of damage dealt/taken events.

Hopefully there's some way I can make it run faster, but currently I've seen heavy fights take upwards of 30 minutes to churn through.

Nevermind all that. There was a bug that was making it take waaaay longer than it should. Everything should definitely take under 5 minutes now.
    Last edited by epwna; 2015-07-26 at 01:50 AM.

Deleted
    Is there a queue system implemented or is every log processed when the request is placed? Because if not, then you could try that, while it's true that it may result in higher wait times for some, it may be faster by easing up the system.
    Anyways, waiting for you to open source it. Most sugestions are useless without seeing the applied logic and it's implementation.

Can you explain how 'Guard effectiveness' works? (I read the 'explain this' but still don't really get it sorry)