Thread: Racism Map

Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    You still don't get it?

Whites practiced systematic racism even though they were a minority. So your argument "systematic racism only occurring when a race has majority population and power" is wrong.
    It was an and/or statement. Historically majority populations have been the instigators in systemic discrimination.
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    There is a problem, but I know just banning guns will fix the problem.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    nigger isn't nigga though...
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!

By all means if you're white walk up to a black person and call them a "nigga." It will be the same reaction if you'd called them a nigger.

They need to do away with just 3 races and look towards adding more ethnicity.
    Last time I checked Latino was an option too.

The map really doesn't draw any conclusions, it's just a map, mapping out prevalence of googlging things with the word nigger in them.
    The map doesn't, but the people writing the article are drawing some asinine conclusions from it by correlating mortality rates of minorities with it. It would make more sense if they'd correlate ACLU or NAACP lawsuits with it, but mortality rates? As others have pointed out, people of a race are more likely to be killed by someone of the same race.

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Every time a non-economist uses OLS, I die a little inside.

Quote Originally Posted by munkeyinorbit View Post
    Of course it does. Only racists would google search racially motivated hate speech. Any normal person would use the correct terms. It is also obvious that anyone using nigga is using it in context to rap and gangs and stuff. Use your brains people. Search terms are the best way to find out if people are racist because they think no one is looking and they reveal their real self.
    9/10

10 char

OMFG lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Venant View Post
    I feel bad for all those 'protesters' at the Trump rally, it's like the real life equivalent of making a 40 man raid in WoW and not having the boss spawn, thereby denying them a chance at looting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    That's a nonsense argument that ignores what words mean.

10+ Year Old Account
    Maximum kek potential achieved. Blast off!

OT: Just googled "nigger". New York is now more racist. How DARE I?!

Urban youths of color say "nigger" the most really? You're sure they're not saying "nigga" ....
    Same thing. You are a racist if you say otherwise. I'm pretty sure most of the southern people didn't say nigger they said nigga as well or maybe it was spelled neegarh. So unless you specifically say nigger it's not racist? Or is it only when black youths say a derivative of it?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Templar 331 View Post
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!

By all means if you're white walk up to a black person and call them a "nigga." It will be the same reaction if you'd called them a nigger.

The map doesn't, but the people writing the article are drawing some asinine conclusions from it by correlating mortality rates of minorities with it. It would make more sense if they'd correlate ACLU or NAACP lawsuits with it, but mortality rates? As others have pointed out, people of a race are more likely to be killed by someone of the same race.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgExTrqH0n8

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!

Um... but I've seen white people call their black friends nigga and a whole lot of nothing happened.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by purebalance View Post
    Same thing. You are a racist if you say otherwise. I'm pretty sure most of the southern people didn't say nigger they said nigga as well or maybe it was spelled neegarh. So unless you specifically say nigger it's not racist? Or is it only when black youths say a derivative of it?

- - - Updated - - -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgExTrqH0n8
    I'm a racist if I don't agree with your ignorant assertion that nigga and nigger are the same thing?

Um... but I've seen white people call their black friends nigga and a whole lot of nothing happened.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm a racist if I don't agree with your ignorant assertion that nigga and nigger are the same thing?
    Yes because it's fact they are the exact same thing. If a southern white man said "hey neggar" to you, you'd say he called you nigger. Fact. Much less I'm sure if a white guy said nigga to you, you'd pitch a fit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Friends being the key word here. Even if they called each other "porch monkey" it wouldn't make it right for someone to call a stranger that. Real friends do stuff to each other, especially bad stuff, that they would never do to strangers because of how much of a bond they have.

It's a slang of a word that is a slang itself. We get it, you don't. The change at the end is meaningless when both words are used interchangeably in the same context. Who says it is meaningless, what each word references is the point and they both reference the same thing. A black individual.

Friends being the key word here. Even if they called each other "porch monkey" it wouldn't make it right for someone to call a stranger that. Real friends do stuff to each other, especially bad stuff, that they would never do to strangers because of how much of a bond they have.

It's a slang of a word that is a slang itself. We get it, you don't. The change at the end is meaningless when both words are used interchangeably in the same context. Who says it is meaningless, what each word references is the point and they both reference the same thing. A black individual.
    Changing the end created a word that is used in an entirely different way.

usually written as nigga — is usually used to express solidarity. An example from the Oxford English Dictionary illustrates this:

2001 Sports Illustr. 23 Apr. 62/1 He told me his friends had pulled him out [of the fight], he hadn’t done nothin’. ‘They didn’t want me gettin’ in no trouble,’ he said. ‘They my niggas.’
    Not my fault you guys suddenly hate English and wish for it to stop evolving, which is all it has ever done.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes because it's fact they are the exact same thing. If a southern white man said "hey neggar" to you, you'd say he called you nigger. Fact. Much less I'm sure if a white guy said nigga to you, you'd pitch a fit.
    I don't like Ricans calling me nigga, so what is your point here?

- - - Updated - - -

A linguist's take on this issue:

Folks, language changes. Always. All of it. And neither history nor racism can make any word immune to that relentless reality. The reality this time isn’t as grievous as we are taught to think. Quite simply, the modern in-group use of the n-word is not the same word as the original one—it’s a new one. New words come from old ones; if you think about it, it’s vanishingly rare that someone just creates a word out of the air. “Blog” came from “weblog.” “Daisy” came from “day’s eye.” And “nigga” came from “n--ger.” “Nigga” no more is n--ger than “sweetheart” is a heart that is sweet
    Before anyone tries to use the argument but it's from no but new words are often from other words so save it.
    Last edited by Themius; 2015-07-27 at 10:53 PM.

Not my fault you guys suddenly hate English and wish for it to stop evolving, which is all it has ever done.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't Ricans calling me nigga, so what is your point here?
    It's racist if you do not allow everyone to use the same word. Also your little definition isn't what the word is. The word means nigger. Just like nigger means black(literally from latin roots much like the country Niger is the french word for black). You didn't seem to like when it evolved to have a word to describe you and it became derogatory, but now when blacks use it to describe themselves with just changing 2 letters it's ok. Except when whites or non blacks call them it.

Edit:

Also the linguist's interpretation is utterly awful. Nigger is nigga just like sweet heart literally came from people thinking the heart was where love came from(and some still do). So gg you quoted someone who doesn't know how terms came to be.

It's racist if you do not allow everyone to use the same word. Also your little definition isn't what the word is. The word means nigger. Just like nigger means black(literally from latin roots much like the country Niger is the french word for black). You didn't seem to like when it evolved to have a word to describe you and it became derogatory, but now when blacks use it to describe themselves with just changing 2 letters it's ok. Except when whites or non blacks call them it.
    Everyone you keep saying everyone but... nigga is a term of endearment that people use with their friends. I've seen people of all races use it, so what the fuck are you talking about?

In fact the areas I have lived in since moving to Jersey (with the exception of now) have always been extremely Hispanic, and usually the only people I ever hear saying nigga are young Hispanics not blacks.

Wait so you can say a word evolves to become offensive, but a word can split off and create a new word that's used in an entirely different way? Why do you have selective evolution acceptance? You can't be taken seriously.

Many, however, think the especially nasty origins of “nigga” mean we should treat it specially. But I’m not sure people are aware of how very “special” this treatment would be (or why the call for it never has any effect). Humans have never, cannot and never will go about sagely attending to older meanings of words while trying to talk in the here and now. “Obnoxious” used to mean “ripe for injury”—who knew? We can’t be bothered to now. As recently as the 1930s, it was considered impolite in refined company to say “belly” instead of “stomach”; who’s policing that now?
    Last edited by Themius; 2015-07-27 at 10:56 PM.

10+ Year Old Account

A linguist's take on this issue:

Before anyone tries to use the argument but it's from no but new words are often from other words so save it.
    You heard it here folks. White people are allowed to use "nigga" without offending anyone because it means "solidarity" and not "nigger." Kind of like the Rebel flag doesn't mean racism to some people.

You heard it here folks. White people are allowed to use "nigga" without offending anyone because it means "solidarity" and not "nigger." Kind of like the Rebel flag doesn't mean racism to some people.
    You really don't seem to get it Georgia.

In the ever multicultural NYC I've seen all races say nigga.

10+ Year Old Account

Good for you. I've seen races besides black people say nigger, just not to black people. Doesn't change the meaning of the word. And around here, nigga is often said by someone who didn't finish school. Mostly because they didn't bother trying. So it isn't a different culture or context of the word, it's illiteracy.

Good for you. I've seen races besides black people say nigger, just not to black people. Doesn't change the meaning of the word. And around here, nigga is often said by someone who didn't finish school. Mostly because they didn't bother trying. So it isn't a different culture or context of the word, it's illiteracy.
    Lol... well sorry to say but just about every linguist disagrees with you.

I mean this is like fighting the against the word spam meaning unwanted emails because it's not what it "was".

Yea it doesn't take long to realize some people on this forum are just racist and will never change. I wont even bother replying to some posters here because they believe black is wrong no matter what, and white is right no matter what. If you truly believe nigga is the exact same as nigger, you are either very dumb or trolling. I don't care if it is against the rules to call someone a troll, because that seems to be the only reasonable explanation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deleth View Post
    Ah come on Granyala, there's several possible reasons for it. A few that would get us banned here like pointing out a deficite in his mental capacity.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oktoberfest View Post
    Man I swear, every time someone uses the term 'Critical Thinking' I want to pop em in the mouth.

Racism only applies to one race and noun?

I say it all the time to black people so do other races like spanish arabic etc.

- - - Updated - - -

I finished school and own my own business.

I live in nyc, and that is true, but you can't just come out and say it in my experience. You have to gain some trust first.