Old Gods, and their influence - Speculations.

So, first and foremost, i am talking more about speculation than canon, but some of the things are facts.

This thread is for those of us intersted in understanding and make some stuff clearer about these old beings, yet of course, Blizzard is with the upper hand, and they can invent whatever they want about whatever they want.

TLDR:

Does it seem to you that it might be the Old Gods, and not the Burning Legion that is the main threat to azaroth as we have been told to believe?

So lets start with some facts:

1. The Old Gods have been described as even more powerfull than Titans, and that for the titans to "win" any fight against the Old ones, will be hard and must be brought by several Titans.

2. Currently, there are 4 known Old Gods, and their minions differ (somewhat) from one another.

3. It is also known that they do not get along so much, but they do tend to help each other influence the "Lesser beings" and coerce them into doing their bidding for the sake of their own betterment (Allthough its not proven, i believe that more than one of them has corrupted Deathwing and his Demon Soul...)

Now i will plunge into somewhat speculative waters...

1. The Old Gods, Cannot die by mortal means, though we do have one "dead" Old God on Pandaland, his shadow alone was enough to corrupt the land and cause harm.
    I believe the "dead" current Old Gods are just playing dead untill such a time as they see fit to come back once again.

2. They seem to have influenced every major debacle that ever became a threat to Azaroth, as a fact, we have Deathwing and the Nightmare to testify to that...
    I believe that Ner'zul managed all he did by the influence of Yogg-Saron, and Arthas taking over also seems rather chaotic Old Godsie style.
    I actually believe that even good old Sargeras and Galakrond were both influenced by them. If anyone has the power to corrupt a Titan... And Galakrond is pretty obviouse i think.... with all those extra appendages, and Undead army.

3. We dont know yet exactly how many there are, or where they are being held, or if there are any free ones in some dark reasese of the universe.

What we can say with absolute certainty is that they are strong, and perhapse... Unbeatable?

Do you guys thing its possible that Blizzard Planned for these monsters to be the main threat while holding to the shados?

Take into acount, that in every single expansion we get just a little bit of Old God... Or more than a little... untill this WOD... Doesnt seem right...

-Vanilla, an actuall Old God comes to Azaroth.

-TBC, some arrakoa try to summon some Old being looking like C'Thun.

-WoTLK, we see Yogg-Saron.

-Catclysm, the whole expansio is a huge tribute to the Old ones.

-MoP, the Sha and a Heart.

-*WoD, Cho'gall? Again?

And another speculation of mine, is how many Old Gods are infact imprisoned on Azaroth.
    Since the locations of the 3 Famous ones Are knowen, and we can assume that Mr. N'Zoth is hidden under the Maelstorm, under the sea somewhere, i think that there are 3 more, and that their imprissonment is as follows:

One hidden beneath Tirisfall Glades.

One hidden beneath The Dark Portal.

And the last... Hidden beneath Mount Hyjal... (imagine a spooky tune).

To me it makes the most sense, and if i have time, ill make a picture of aome sort.
    Remember that the land that the Old Ones were imprisoned beneath was not yet Sundered.

Well, Lore loving friends.... What do you think?

Madness will consume you!!!

The Old Gods have been either directly or indirectly responsible for just about every villan in Warcraft. It wouldn't surprise me if they turned out to be the real final boss of WoW.

Anything can be harmful when taken to an extreme. Even moderation.

If I remember right Blizzard said there isn't one under Tirisfall but they havn't for sure made up there minds of what it is yet besides that fact

7+ Year Old Account
    Straight from Wow Chronicles comes C'thun ruling over his domain. Lookit the cutie in the background.

^

That. Looks. Amazing. I can't wait for the book!

OT: I always found the lore a bit vague regarding the actual power of OG's. I always found it very plausible that they are, in fact, the biggest threat to Azeroth. I mean Azshara apparently has power that made even Mannoroth shit himself. Only Sargeras himself, Archimonde and Kil'Jaeden are superior to her. yet the Old Gods used her as a tool. That combined with all the above makes me think the same.

Pretty much every evil can traced back to old gods or burning legion.
    Anemo: traveler, Sucrose
    Pyro: Yanfei, Amber, diluc, xiangling, thoma, Xinyan, Bennett
    Geo: Noelle, Ningguang, Yun Jin, Gorou
    Hydro: Barbara, Zingqiu, Ayato
    Cyro: Shenhe, Kaeya, Chongyun, Diona, Ayaka, Rosaria
    Electro: Fischl, Lisa, Miko, Kujou, Raiden, Razor

The Old Gods are so powerful because the Old Gods are Azeroth itself. They are the planet's eyes, mouth, heart, etc. Azeroth is tired of being poked and prodded by all these silly mortals and demons and titans.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    I actually believe that it is the Old Gods (not necessarily those on Azeroth, but the Old God species) that actually caused the corruption and fall of Sargeras as opposed to the influence of the demons. Sargeras' transformation into the lord of the Burning Legion has always eerily mirror Neltharion's own corruption, both thematically and literally in terms of their physical appearance. Both Sargeras and Neltharion burst into flames, both of them radiate their own kind foul corruption by virtue of their presence. I think Sargeras, in his campaign to eradicate evil from the universe, may have found himself a nest of Old God-like entities above and beyond the five that inflicted themselves on Azeroth.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by killwithpwr View Post
    So lets start with some facts:

1. The Old Gods have been described as even more powerfull than Titans, and that for the titans to "win" any fight against the Old ones, will be hard and must be brought by several Titans.
    They aren't. The titans handicapped themselves by deciding not to use lethal force. The titans can and have killed a lot of Old Gods. C'Thun was subdued by a single unnamed titan. Y'Shaarj was killed by a bunch of mogu, not even titans.
    Originally Posted by Dave Kosak
    Not every Old God is still alive and plotting. The Titans actually did kill a lot, so this particular Old God is dead. And is safely dead. Not all of the Old Gods were entombed. (Source)

Quote Originally Posted by Aquamonkey View Post
    They aren't. The titans handicapped themselves by deciding not to use lethal force. The titans can and have killed a lot of Old Gods. C'Thun was subdued by a single unnamed titan. Y'Shaarj was killed by a bunch of mogu, not even titans.
    Originally Posted by Dave Kosak
    Not every Old God is still alive and plotting. The Titans actually did kill a lot, so this particular Old God is dead. And is safely dead. Not all of the Old Gods were entombed. (Source)
    Mogu were created by the Titans however, and with the primary purpose of fighting the Old Gods. I suppose after Y'Shaarj died and cursed Pandaria the Titans figured killing them indescriminately was a bad idea and locked them away instead.

Anything can be harmful when taken to an extreme. Even moderation.

Deleted
    inb4 some old god cuthulu mythos fan posts the quote from a knaack book about how sargeras would beg for mercy against the old gods,
    The old golds have been killed/imprisoned by the titans so can we please stop saying the old gods are stronger.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    I actually believe that it is the Old Gods (not necessarily those on Azeroth, but the Old God species) that actually caused the corruption and fall of Sargeras as opposed to the influence of the demons. Sargeras' transformation into the lord of the Burning Legion has always eerily mirror Neltharion's own corruption, both thematically and literally in terms of their physical appearance. Both Sargeras and Neltharion burst into flames, both of them radiate their own kind foul corruption by virtue of their presence. I think Sargeras, in his campaign to eradicate evil from the universe, may have found himself a nest of Old God-like entities above and beyond the five that inflicted themselves on Azeroth.
    Considering that the primary goal for the Old Gods on Azeroth is to escape their prisons by any means necessary, I don't think they'd take too kindly to being subjugated by the dark titan and his armies. They both may be "evil" in the eyes of mortals, but the Old Gods are far away from anything morally black and white. Their purpose in the Warcraft universe hasn't been explained yet, just that they're a foreboding presence that relishes in some form of chaos.

However, to say they are purely chaotic in nature wouldn't be truthful, as C'Thun was one of many to build an army and order it around with Yogg to fight N'Zoth. They each of their own machinations, have their own sphere of influence, but unfortunately, they haven't been too deeply explored.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Aetha View Post
    Considering that the primary goal for the Old Gods on Azeroth is to escape their prisons by any means necessary, I don't think they'd take too kindly to being subjugated by the dark titan and his armies. They both may be "evil" in the eyes of mortals, but the Old Gods are far away from anything morally black and white. Their purpose in the Warcraft universe hasn't been explained yet, just that they're a foreboding presence that relishes in some form of chaos.

However, to say they are purely chaotic in nature wouldn't be truthful, as C'Thun was one of many to build an army and order it around with Yogg to fight N'Zoth. They each of their own machinations, have their own sphere of influence, but unfortunately, they haven't been too deeply explored.
    I think the leitmotif of the Old Gods is pretty much "chaos for its own sake." I tend to think of them as manifestations of pure chaos in the same way the Naaru appear to embody the concepts of the Light (unity, interconnectedness, altruism, etc.) The Old Gods build cities and armies, yes, but they do it solely to promote further chaos, violence, and madness. This is just my theory, of course, but it comes from their description in Ulduar as "necrophotic" beings - creatures of what I assume the Titans thought was pure Shadow essence. They're the opposites of the Naaru in the same manner the Burning Legion is the opposite of the Titan Pantheon.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Deleted
    I think the Old Gods are just another species. It was confirmed that they don't transcend reality as demons do, so really they're no different from your average mortal except that they're more powerful. Alien race, big and nasty.

I seem to remember reading that, in the case of Azeroth, the Titans *could* have killed the old gods that had taken residence inside the planet, but it was very likely that it would have done irreparable damage to Azeroth in the process. So they opted to subdue them and put them to "sleep". Each time we've encountered an old god's influence, it's because something has happened to awake the old god. Basically the old gods are parasites within the planet that can't be fully removed without ruining the planet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aetha View Post

I think the leitmotif of the Old Gods is pretty much "chaos for its own sake." I tend to think of them as manifestations of pure chaos in the same way the Naaru appear to embody the concepts of the Light (unity, interconnectedness, altruism, etc.) The Old Gods build cities and armies, yes, but they do it solely to promote further chaos, violence, and madness. This is just my theory, of course, but it comes from their description in Ulduar as "necrophotic" beings - creatures of what I assume the Titans thought was pure Shadow essence. They're the opposites of the Naaru in the same manner the Burning Legion is the opposite of the Titan Pantheon.
    A'dal says the Old Gods seek to conquer the universe. Before the titans wooped their asses, the Old Gods ruled over the Black Empire on Azeroth.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    A'dal says the Old Gods seek to conquer the universe. Before the titans wooped their asses, the Old Gods ruled over the Black Empire on Azeroth.
    I wouldn't categorize the Old Gods on Azeroth as "whooped" by the Titans, especially given the Old Gods successfully set it up so that any victory over them would be a pyrrhic one for the Pantheon. I don't really know the extent of Old God infection in the greater Warcraft universe - but if they have the same MO as those on Azeroth that could spell a lot of trouble for the Titans.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Taftvalue View Post
    I think the Old Gods are just another species. It was confirmed that they don't transcend reality.
    They do, at least. the WotA trilogy states so.

10+ Year Old Account
    I wouldn't categorize the Old Gods on Azeroth as "whooped" by the Titans, especially given the Old Gods successfully set it up so that any victory over them would be a pyrrhic one for the Pantheon. I don't really know the extent of Old God infection in the greater Warcraft universe - but if they have the same MO as those on Azeroth that could spell a lot of trouble for the Titans.
    That's only because the titans didn't want to restart Azeroth from scratch. They are prepared to re-order Azeroth if necessary and Algalon has seen them do it across the universe.

Quote Originally Posted by JTHMRulez1 View Post
    They do, at least. the WotA trilogy states so.
    Nozdorumu detecting the OGs interference within the Well of Eternity doesn't mean they transcend reality. Blizz directly stated they don't.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Archimonde is a demon whose demon soul is anchored to the Nether. The Nether transcends all realities. That is all. (Abrosiabi)
    does this extend to Old Gods? As in there's only one Cthun, Yogg, N-Zoth, etc.
    Old Gods don't work like that. Haha, sorry couldn't resist. But seriously, they're different. Done for today! (Abrosiabi)
    Last edited by Aquamonkey; 2015-07-31 at 08:16 PM.

7+ Year Old Account

Nozdorumu detecting the OGs interference within the Well of Eternity doesn't mean they transcend reality. Blizz directly stated they don't.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Archimonde is a demon whose demon soul is anchored to the Nether. The Nether transcends all realities. That is all. (Abrosiabi)
    does this extend to Old Gods? As in there's only one Cthun, Yogg, N-Zoth, etc.
    Old Gods don't work like that. Haha, sorry couldn't resist. But seriously, they're different. Done for today! (Abrosiabi)
    Whoa. At this point i think it would be more easy if they just simply say that WotA is not canon like the RPGs.

Oh, well. I think they will do it with Chronicles.