Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    What do you consider unnecessary food additives. Almost all ingredients in food are there for a reason.
    And those that aren't aren't added by choice normally.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dzudzadzo View Post
    Define obsession. Am I obsessed for reading food packages? Am I obsessed for following a strict diet?
    Obsession is typically defined as "when it starts to interfere with your daily functioning"

A realistic example would be if you are getting in financial trouble because you insist on paying premium for biological food when you can't afford it. Or when you would rather not eat then eat regular food if there is no other choice, for example on vacation, school trip, when the healthy store is closed for renovations, at your friends/parents place, etc. Stuff like that.
    Last edited by mmoc982b0e8df8; 2015-07-29 at 03:06 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    In one way I kind of get it. But in another way I'm kind of like what the actual fuck.

next thing you know it's going to be a mental disorder to want to work more than 40 hours a week

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gandrake View Post
    In one way I kind of get it. But in another way I'm kind of like what the actual fuck.

next thing you know it's going to be a mental disorder to want to work more than 40 hours a week
    If it causes problems in your daily functioning it can be. A lot of mental problems are very flexible like that. Depends a lot on the context wether it is a problem or not.

for example if you work a lot to avoid going home, or if you work a lot to validate your self worth, it can be a problem. (or a symptom of another problem). And then there is ofc the if you work 14 hours a day extreme version.
    Last edited by mmoc982b0e8df8; 2015-07-29 at 03:17 PM.

...Am I mentally ill for not drinking beer...
    Yes. But there are support groups for that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Him of Many Faces View Post
    for example if you work a lot to avoid going home, or if you work a lot to validate your self worth, it can be a problem. (or a symptom of another problem). And then there is ofc the if you work 14 hours a day extreme version.
    I don't really see how.

If there are things you want to buy and a specific type of life you want to build, it requires a lot of work.

Quote Originally Posted by unbound View Post
    a) Don't read garbage like Natural Society.

b) The article is but one reason not to take sites like Natural Society seriously. They are misrepresenting the issue. Here is a good summary of it - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orthorexia_nervosa

As others have pointed out, eating healthy is not considered a disorder, but the extreme obsession with it is. Basically, it is similar to OCD...at face value, it isn't a horrible thing, but the obsession is severe enough that it can lead to being dysfunctional in society and, when taken far enough, lead to an actually unhealthy diet because too many things are part of the conspiracy to poison your body.
    lol

guy tells someone that their source is garbage, then procedes to give a link to wikipedia as a good source...

I will give an example of what this is saying.

You avoid a social situation like going to a restaurant with friends or family because they don't have an option "healthy/clean" enough for you. This is an eating disorder.
    Last edited by Zelion; 2015-07-29 at 03:38 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I dont go to parties ;_;
    Yeah, major shocker here.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Because fuck you, that's why.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gandrake View Post
    I don't really see how.

If there are things you want to buy and a specific type of life you want to build, it requires a lot of work.
    scenario 1: if you want to stay at work because you cannot stand to be with your wife/kids, you have a problem.
    scenario 2: if you feel worthless unless you make 6 figures a year, you have a problem.
    scenario 3: if you literally work yourself to death in order to buy a nice car, you have a problem.
    your scenario: what good is being able to afford a expensive lifestyle if you spend all your time at work to afford it and therefore can't enjoy it?

nothing wrong with working hard to get something nice now or later, but if you start to work 7 days a week and never take a day off for a prolonged time, when you start to give up sleep or social contacts to work more, or when literally all you do is work eat sleep repeat, you have a problem. Ofc problems can set in way before you reach that extreme, at some point to much is just to much and you having symptoms of some sort. Same as almost anything, too much is never good.

and again it varies on a per person basis.
    Last edited by mmoc982b0e8df8; 2015-07-29 at 03:51 PM.

Deleted
    Back in high school, there was this Greek immigrant girl whose mother had convinced her that the government is putting mind-controlling chemicals in all the food in the country, so she would eat literally nothing that wasn't home-grown. They apparently had buckets for collecting rain water, because tap water was part of the conspiracy.
    She was pretty healthy, in all fairness. Just a bit too zealous in her 'healthy eating'

I can see why it might be viewed as a disorder, but I'm not sure it could be classified as one any more than being Religious or liking Bieber could.

Define obsession. Am I obsessed for reading food packages? Am I obsessed for following a strict diet?
    Yes.

/10 char

Quote Originally Posted by CmdrShep2154 View Post
    http://naturalsociety.com/officials-...ntal-disorder/

So psychiatrists want people fat? Do they want females to be fat feminists? Are American males going to have to go to Europe or Asia for attractive females?
    I think the real disorder in play here is a severe lack of reading comprehension and critical thinking. Sadly, the people who do not suffer from this disorder are a minority and the situation is only getting worse.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by DFTR View Post
    Back in high school, there was this Greek immigrant girl whose mother had convinced her that the government is putting mind-controlling chemicals in all the food in the country, so she would eat literally nothing that wasn't home-grown. They apparently had buckets for collecting rain water, because tap water was part of the conspiracy.
    She was pretty healthy, in all fairness. Just a bit too zealous in her 'healthy eating'

I can see why it might be viewed as a disorder, but I'm not sure it could be classified as one any more than being Religious or liking Bieber could.
    should've told her about contrails!

What if I refuse to eat something in a calm manner. Am I still mentally ill?
    Am I mentally ill for not drinking beer because it's unhealthy?
    Realize that this whole thing is blown out of proportion. Look at the source. I wouldn't expect a website called 'Natural Society' to not be a sensationalist website. Especially when they're misrepresenting what people are talking about. The phyches aren't talking about just eating healthy. They're talking about people who won't eat things for no other reason that it's 'not healthy' with no real definition for what healthy is. The upshot being that they won't eat things for no reason other than that they believe that it's not healthy with no real evidence to support it. Not that it's not actually healthy. Similar to OCD. An example would be yogurt. They won't eat it because there are living things in it and they don't want to be infected by them. Or pork. They heard that pork makes you go blind because of some neurosis they have in their mind. They're not saying it's an eating disorder. They're saying being obsessed with eating healthy to the point where you're believing idiots, who have no idea what they're talking about, because it soothes your neurosis, is a mental disorder.

And this website is saying that they don't like being called idiots who have no idea what they're talking about even though no one ever mentioned them. Seriously, this is a conspiracy website. Just look at the top of the page: Get healthy naturally! We heal things like colds and cancer! Also, GMOs and Monsanto are evil.

Edit: horrible grammmers that was evident even to me

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zelion View Post
    lol

guy tells someone that their source is garbage, then procedes to give a link to wikipedia as a good source...

I will give an example of what this is saying.

You avoid a social situation like going to a restaurant with friends or family because they don't have an option "healthy/clean" enough for you. This is an eating disorder.
    Wikipedia has links to the actual source info. Natural Society is a conspiracy website that believes you can overcome cancer by taking vitamin E. That's the level of competence you're working with there.
    Last edited by Ripster42; 2015-07-29 at 04:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    Orthorexia is not "healthy eating" you cretin. Try educating yourself before you spout stuff you have no clue about.
    Pretty sure this guy and loveblondes is the same person.

Quote Originally Posted by Ripster42 View Post
    Realize that this whole thing is blown out of proportion. Look at the source. I wouldn't expect a website called 'Natural Society' to not be a sensationalist website. Especially when they're misrepresenting what people are talking about. The phyches aren't talking about just eating healthy. They're talking about people who won't eat things for no other reason that it's 'not healthy' with no real definition for what healthy is. The upshot being that they won't eat things for no reason other than that they believe that it's not healthy with no real evidence to support it. Not that it's not actually healthy. Similar to OCD. An example would be yogurt. They won't eat it because there are living things in it and they don't want to be infected by them. Or pork. They heard that pork makes you go blind because of some neurosis they have in their mind. They're not saying it's an eating disorder. They're saying being obsessed with eating healthy to the point where you're believing idiots, who have no idea what they're talking about, because it soothes your neurosis, is a mental disorder.

And this website is saying that they don't like being called idiots who have no idea what they're talking about even though no one ever mentioned them. Seriously, this is a conspiracy website. Just look at the top of the page: Get healthy naturally! We heal things like colds and cancer! Also, GMOs and Monsanto are evil.

Edit: horrible grammmers that was evident even to me

- - - Updated - - -

Wikipedia has links to the actual source info. Natural Society is a conspiracy website that believes you can overcome cancer by taking vitamin E. That's the level of competence you're working with there.
    right. I didn't even open the link and I have never even heard of the site so i'm not trying to say it is legitimate.

If you use Wikipedia to prove a point or for research you are literally retarded. I did not know references to News articles and blogs were considered actual science source info. This is not a shot at you btw.
    Last edited by Zelion; 2015-07-29 at 06:39 PM.

I spend alot of time gaming so I choose eat healthy to offset the time I am sitting in a chair or not out moving around or at work. But to say someone has a disorder or is mentally unstable because they refuse to eat a Slim Jim for example and waiting till they could eat something a little better for you is just sensationalism or someone is trying to publish articles to keep their funding going.

Eating healthy is not a mental disorder, but veganism is (just joking)

10+ Year Old Account
    Here is a good example of what that article is talking about in my opinion. This women claims to not have periods because she does not have to discard anything.

Edit with Explanation: There is no science to back up her conclusion.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTrueKueen View Post
    Here is a good example of what that article is talking about in my opinion. This women claims to not have periods because she does not have to discard anything.

Edit with Explanation: There is no science to back up her conclusion.
    Are you serious? Not having periods is not a sign of good health, it's a sign of bad!