WOD Lore and Forward

I wanted to take a step back for a minute and examine the lore decisions made by blizzard during WoD and what greater purpose they may serve in lore.

Gul'dan: Let's start with the obvious. The purpose of this expansion was the bring back Gul'dan into the story. The purpose I believe with the whole demon "All dimensions all realities" tweet was to establish that Gul'dan can come back into the picture as a major plot device in MU Azeroth. Gul'dans job is not done in the story and will be back at some point. What does this mean moving forward? Gul'dan can access Karazhan just as prince did as a method to come into MU Azeroth as an agent of the legion.

Khadgar: WOD is not over yet, we still have 6.3 to tie up lose ends. It is unknown how khadgar obtained Atiesh. What does this tell us? Blizzard gave him Atiesh for a reason. It makes no sense that they would give Khadgar Atiesh and not explain it. Could he be Medivh? Me'dan? Did he just inherit it? Who really knows, time will tell. What we do know is 6.3 is not out yet and blizzard has remained relatively silent on the matter. I believe there could be some connection with Wrathion.

Moving forward

I could see the story branching in three different directions. The first would be a return to MU Azeroth to stop a "new" threat (old god, Azshara, etc. etc.). We really have no idea what is happening back on Azeroth, and we do not technically know how much time has elapsed since we have been on AU Draenor. There is enough story and possible content with the Emerald dream -> Maelstrom -> Old God story to create an expansion out of.

The second option would be jumping directly into US V.S. the Burning Legion. This could also be a possibility because in Kilrog's vision we saw our "death" by the hand of the legion. It may have been to make the fight cool, or it could have served a lore purpose. Blizzard said they will tie the end of this expansion into the beginning of the next meaning we really have not seen the last of Gul'dan. I could foresee us constructing a new portal in 6.3 to go back to MU Azeroth and "someone" (gul'dan, Khadgar (If he is Medivh)) following us back or using some vessel to come to our universe.

My mixed theory. We learn that Gul'dan has made it into MU Azeroth Via Karazhan through the help of Prince, who according to the "demons can only die in the twisting nether," is still alive. We have to chase Gul'dan around for a part of the expansion while he looks for a way to usher in the legion. Along the way we are confronted with N'zoth and Lady Aszhaara and finish up their storylines while we are scouring the depths of Azeroth hunting for Gul'dan. In 7.XX We stop Gul'dan, but just before it is too late and we face the first wave of the legion leading into 8.XX, the Return of the Legion.

Ideas 2 and 3 fall into line with blizzard's "Council of Glade" Trademark filing. Who knows what it could actually be, but it sounds related to Medivh, Med'an and the Trisfal.

Also important to note in 2014 blizzard registered the trademark "Eye of Azshara"
    I would love to get your guys opinions / what you think the purpose of some of the decisions made by blizzard this expansion.
    Last edited by Corjha; 2015-07-29 at 07:18 PM.

I really don't know but I am not a fan of having Gul'Dan usurp a South Seas expansion.

If they want to keep him in the story, let us discover him in a Broken Isles zone, don't make him the reason why we're in the South Seas though. Play up the Naga threat, not everything needs to be a direct lead in to the next expansion.

Quote Originally Posted by Splub View Post
    I really don't know but I am not a fan of having Gul'Dan usurp a South Seas expansion.

If they want to keep him in the story, let us discover him in a Broken Isles zone, don't make him the reason why we're in the South Seas though. Play up the Naga threat, not everything needs to be a direct lead in to the next expansion.
    I Like that idea. It would be intresting to see us clear up the Naga / Old God threat and then in 7.XX find Gul'dan coming in behind our backs and summoning the legion using an artifact that he found within the depths of Azeroth.

Quote Originally Posted by Corjha View Post
    I Like that idea. It would be intresting to see us clear up the Naga / Old God threat and then in 7.XX find Gul'dan coming in behind our backs and summoning the legion using an artifact that he found within the depths of Azeroth.
    I'd prefer if he preceded the Naga and Old God battles.

I like the idea of Karazhan making a comeback, that could maybe get me to subscribe again for next expansion. Not a lore guy as I don't know much about it except for some fragments from the game but I just liked Karazhan way back. Good memories.

Quote Originally Posted by Corjha View Post
    My mixed theory. We learn that Gul'dan has made it into MU Azeroth Via Karazhan through the help of Prince, who according to the "demons can only die in the twisting nether," is still alive.
    The place where you fight Prince Malchezaar is called the Netherspace. If this is part of the Twisting Nether, could he be dead? Perhaps that is where we'll end up with some other demons to permanently kill.

Deleted
    WoD had worse lore than cata did let AU be left in AU and let us not speak of it anymore.