10+ Year Old Account

Thumbs up Need a new Desktop for my mother.

Anyone have a suggestions for a good bang for your buck all-in-one or system for $300-400, need to get my mom a new computer.
    Hoping for at least 4GB RAM, at least 300-500GB memory. My problem lies in that I can only find Celeron processors, and trying to get at least one step better.

Know of any good deals out there?

Rule of Thumb: If the healer's HPS is higher than your DPS, you're doing it wrong.

15+ Year Old Account
    Are you sure its not more suitable with a laptop?
    If she do nothing fancy with it a budget laptop would be nice and also save space.
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

Quote Originally Posted by frag971 View Post
    Nice link. I was going to ask what is she going to be doing. Since it's for "mom" I would imagine a G3258 or an AMD APU would probably suit her just fine. I built my dad an APU and he runs dual monitors with about 20 programs running for work without breaking a sweat. With either of these processors you should be able to afford 8gig of ram. Which is mandatory for anybody now days if you ask me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Moving this to the build/upgrade subforum
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

10+ Year Old Account
    I've always figured you get more for your money with a desktop or all-in-one than a laptop, but a laptop would suite just fine as well.

As for what she needs it for, is basic mom stuff, nothing more than Excel and Facebook.

Rule of Thumb: If the healer's HPS is higher than your DPS, you're doing it wrong.

Deleted
    This is pretty much easy, depending if you need o/s or not.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i3-4160 3.6GHz Dual-Core Processor ($102.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B85M-DS3H Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($41.98 @ Newegg)
    Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Blue 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($43.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($51.99 @ NCIX US)
    Case: Fractal Design Core 1100 MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($29.99 @ NCIX US)
    Power Supply: Antec EarthWatts Green 380W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($38.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Total: $309.93
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-07-30 07:17 EDT-0400

Quote Originally Posted by Irisel View Post
    I've always figured you get more for your money with a desktop or all-in-one than a laptop, but a laptop would suite just fine as well.

As for what she needs it for, is basic mom stuff, nothing more than Excel and Facebook.
    It depends. For basic internet browsing and what not though you should be able to find a $200-300 Laptop. Since that comes with OS, monitor and keyboard it gets tough to beat for low-end systems. I mean sure, you can put together a build like Kost's above but if you need OS+Monitor add almost $200 to that.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    It depends. For basic internet browsing and what not though you should be able to find a $200-300 Laptop. Since that comes with OS, monitor and keyboard it gets tough to beat for low-end systems. I mean sure, you can put together a build like Kost's above but if you need OS+Monitor add almost $200 to that.
    Alternatively, you can buy something like the Chromebook for ~$250 for the 4GB versions, and that should suffice for most basic computing usages.