Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    I'd say they're largely controlled by supply and demand, but chances are Blizzard is fiddling with numbers. I found it rather suspicious that the token prices in the US fluctuated anywhere from 17k up to 24k in a day and then all of a sudden flat lined at 24-26k during the May ban wave. Now it's starting to tick upward again and often goes over 26k when before it rarely hit 26k.

So I'd bet Blizzard did something in May that caused prices to stop fluctuating so much which could be something like a change in their calculations. Currently, though, they're dictated by supply and demand. People who bought tokens with real money probably have more gold than they need now so no longer want to buy tokens while everyone who got tokens for gold got them early on. Now all that's left are those that buy tokens for real money sporadically and those buying tokens just to get a month here and there.

All these "Blizzard Conspiracy Theory" threads are getting old.

Anything can be harmful when taken to an extreme. Even moderation.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by guardian_titan View Post
    I found it rather suspicious that the token prices in the US fluctuated anywhere from 17k up to 24k in a day and then all of a sudden flat lined at 24-26k during the May ban wave.
    You know Blizzard made a post about it explaining the large volatility, right?
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

No, it would be naive of me to think a for-profit company wouldn't adjust things in order for it to make more money. Like, said company has among the most expensive cash/character services on the market and you don't think it'd adjust its token prices?

Deleted
    Diablo 3 Real Money Action House and loot tables ring a bell?

That wasn't all that long ago. I doubt everyone forgot about that...

10+ Year Old Account
    As dishonest as i think blizzard is when it comes to communication with their players. I do believe them when they say the token price is set by supply / demand. I see no motive for them to be involved in the price. They get their 20 no matter what. And that's more then the 15 they usually get for a month of game time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SL1200 View Post
    As dishonest as i think blizzard is when it comes to communication with their players.
    It always amuses me when people say this stuff. When has blizzard been 'dishonest' about anything? Poor communication skills does not make one dishonest.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

10+ Year Old Account
    Absolutely. I personally buy tokens for the EU gold price without whining about it and know others who do as well, and I know people who have bought tokens for real money because they needed gold. According to trade 45k for a token is too much to ask but I'm paying for it and so are others. I see no reason why it shouldn't be 100% supply and demand based.

I know lots of people who buy tokens on the AH.

I don't know anyone who has bought a token with $ to sell for gold.

Something is odd here.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    Something is odd here.
    You know too many peasants, not enough whales.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post

Something is odd here.

This thread shows how this community is easily convinced by Blizzard. The community of gold makers have the exact opposite opinion, not because they are at War with Blizzard, they love the game, but because THEY KNOW how prices work in this game and let me tell you, those ARE NOT wow prices. Wow prices work like that: "Important new shiny item skyrockets to the roof for 200,000 gold or 150,000 gold for a few days, then it drops to a more logical place, then it might crash for a while, but then those that crashed it may panic and put it back up for 50,000g or so" etc. etc., it does not work IN ANY CASE of any real scenario in the game "extremely popular item drops, price immediately flactuates only 10%/20% up/down", that's absolutely nonsense, sorry guys, but it's true.

10+ Year Old Account
    Tokens might be influenced by supply and demand, but the price is ultimately controlled by Blizzard.
    Blizzard is still the sole supplier of tokens, its not a truly open market. Early market fluctuations could easily have been an algorithm testing the upper and lower bounds of the market.

Blizzard has demonstrated an open hand in influencing the WoW economy, by changing gold drops and garrisons etc... why would they be hands-off with tokens?
    Would it be beyond Blizzard to have a "Token Weekend Event"? They can and might slash token prices for the sake of promotion.

We also need to look at token prices in context of player population. If prices stabilized with the population trend it would make sense. If prices stabilized in the face of severe population change.. .it will be fishy. August 5th might provide a clue.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tobindax View Post
    This thread shows how this community is easily convinced by Blizzard. The community of gold makers have the exact opposite opinion, not because they are at War with Blizzard, they love the game, but because THEY KNOW how prices work in this game and let me tell you, those ARE NOT wow prices. Wow prices work like that: "Important new shiny item skyrockets to the roof for 200,000 gold or 150,000 gold for a few days, then it drops to a more logical place, then it might crash for a while, but then those that crashed it may panic and put it back up for 50,000g or so" etc. etc., it does not work IN ANY CASE of any real scenario in the game "extremely popular item drops, price immediately flactuates only 10%/20% up/down", that's absolutely nonsense, sorry guys, but it's true.
    I know I personally asked you for proof... you've provided none... zero... only repeating your theory and claiming it as fact... prove they are manipulating it then I'll believe you. I do not and will not accept anecdotal evidence as proof. What I will accept is incontrovertible proof, like a Blizzard employee coming forward and saying they in fact do that... short of that... you have got nothing but your anecdotal claims and your theories.

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.