81. This poll is closed
  • Yes

49 60.49%
  • No

32 39.51%
Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account

Lightbulb Optional choice - When you pick up a quest, they'll read the story for you.

I was thinking about this the other day, they should make small "soundtracks" that reads the story of the quest you've picked up with a voice that fit's to the NPC you've picked up the quest from!

-Like myself i have Dyslexia and English ain't my firs language which makes reading quest's quiet boring in the long term.

-But i find it much more easier to understand while listen to English (Not like i can't understand while reading or writing as you understand but takes longer, and in the end just get bored cuz' i have to stop my questing and focus on reading instead!).

-Also, imagien being able to listen to a cool voice while running/flying that tells you the story of the quest like a "sound book" (?).
    Not where to go or what to do, but the story behind it! Doing Lore Master would be such a epic journey!

-It should of course be a option in the interface so people who prefer to read don't have to listen or poeple who would be annoyed of it.

What do you guys think?

EDIT - Of course, the "kill 10 wolf's and bring me the meat" can be skipped. But longer chain quests maybe (?). Don't know myself, just throwing an idea out - not feeling sorry for myself for having Dyslexia!
    Last edited by Batar; 2015-07-30 at 01:31 PM.

Not worth the manpower and money required. If you want talking quests go play Skyrim.

Tbh, I think you're being pretty selfish, simply because you have dyslexia and english is your second language, to ask Blizz to sink considerable resources into having the game be read out to you with a feature the vast majority of people would either never use, dislike, skip over, or have no desire for.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Try SWTOR dude. 95% of Quests are voiced.

It's not that anyone wouldn't appreciate it being voiced, it's just that it would take unimaginably long to actually voice every bit of written content in the game and it's not really worth the resources at this point.

10+ Year Old Account
    As a person with Dyslexia myself, I must say that the idea sounds good, but it would not fit in a game like WoW. I got involved with the Warcraft series at a young age, playing Warcraft 2. Since then I played WC3, etc etc. I have always had my favorite storylines or zones and I often find myself reading the quests in those zones. Other than that, I just hit M and see where I need to go.

People are already bitching and moaning that the release of expantions takes too long, imagine how long it would take for all quests to be voiced. I know what it is like to read through a lot of text while having Dyslexia OP and I know it gets boring. But try to ''filter'' what you'd like to read in the game.
    Faith Alone is Not Enough to Stop all the Enemies of the Light!
    - Retribution Paladin since 2007.

Burning Blade EU

Quote Originally Posted by DarkAmbient View Post
    Jesus christ, I just agreed with Jaylock. I need to go and have a shower.

Deleted
    Voiced quests would probably require far to many resources but a nice medium would be Diablo 3 style audio lore books they could flesh out the story and lore more, provide more insight to creatures/factions/zones and add another collection element to the game.

It would be good. A lot of people don't read the quest story because they don't want to invest the time or are to lazy to read it..
    But when you can hear it you may stick around and have more immersion in the game..

Would be a waste for all the hey go get me 10 carrots quest but meh...

Quote Originally Posted by TyrianFC View Post
    Tbh, I think you're being pretty selfish, simply because you have dyslexia and english is your second language, to ask Blizz to sink considerable resources into having the game be read out to you with a feature the vast majority of people would either never use, dislike, skip over, or have no desire for.
    This is probably one of the rudest comments I've read on these boards.

I wouldn't use the feature, but I imagine a decent size group would.

Deleted
    ToR player here I always listen to the dialogue but even BioWare moved away from voiced daily quests.

Deleted
    I wouldn't want every quest to have voiceovers, that would just be too much.
    But having the same system Diablo had would be kinda cool - you get sound snippets when you pick up random lore items, you don't have to stop playing, they run in the background while you do stuff.

That'd be kind of cool, but you're talking about a lot of work to go back and add voices to every single quest. If you're saying just do it to all future quests...sure, I could get behind that, as long as it's something I can toggle on and off.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamyz View Post
    But having the same system Diablo had would be kinda cool - you get sound snippets when you pick up random lore items, you don't have to stop playing, they run in the background while you do stuff.
    Yeah, I always liked those in D3, when you picked up something like Deckard Cain's writings, and it'd play a short audio clip of the text in Deckard Cain's voice. That'd be really cool in WoW, I think.
    Last edited by Ciddy; 2015-07-30 at 01:20 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not worth it in an MMO. It was mildly amusing when playing TOR but after leveling up two toons I was spamming spacebar.
    "I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids. "
    -
    General Jack D. Ripper.

Deleted
    As cool as I could be, the work and money it would require wouldn't be worth it and I'd much rather see that money spent somewhere else.

I enjoy voiced quests in TOR but the amount of money the need to spend on VA would be pretty high and not worth it in the long run.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TyrianFC View Post
    Haha, selfish..I think you're the one that's being selfish tbh. But anyhow,it's just your oppinion and i respect that!

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    We could ask how the SWoTOR players use it?

Next question: Is SWoTOR also localized into different languages including the audio? Another big thingy to tackle and implement for WoW into at least 10 languages. Would be cool for a new x-pac...doing it retro for all the old content is a true waste IMHO.

Then again..how often will you listen to the track of yet another daily, yet another "I need 10 whatchamacallits killed"?
    SWTOR (Not SWoTOR I don't know where you are getting that extra o from lol since it is "Star Wars : The Old Republic") Does have other Languages other than English.

Not a whole lot but I believe German, French and (maybe) Russian.

Though A lot of SWTOR's appeal is the Voice Acting and Daily Quests are generally just picked up at a Mission terminal and are not voiced. Only Planetary Missions/Class Missions/Planetary Side Quests.

Deleted
    Well, yes and no.

I mean all those story telling in WoW is just bad. I mean those quest descriptions are too long, usually boring, uninteresting and with a lot of typos. Like 12 y/o kids would create write them. Last 2-3 years in gaming industry showed that if you hire talented and motivated to do something rly enjoying ppl you can make dialogues, main quest and even tons of side quests(witcher says hello) rly enjoying.

Blizzard usually got just pretty interesting(but sometimes like in WoD fucked up) lore, story telling and main story of expansion with rly schematic and boring steps and quests.
    So yea more voice acting and reading lore would be nice but it should go in pair with better writing.

Voiced quests were amazing to listen through in SWToR for about 20-30 levels ..... after that I was reading the subtitles and mashing the spacebar when I wanted next line of text. Was way faster than waiting for voice actors to catch up with the part I already read few seconds ago.

Looking for a working online signature generator .....

7+ Year Old Account
    Just because something works for 1 mmo does not mean it will work for another. More VA would be great for WoW, but the money and resources to do that would be too much. As it stands having VA for legendary quests or raids is pretty good.