Thread: Windows 10

Page 41 of 42 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    By Lieutenant Colonel Whiskers McBallofur Maximilliamus the Third
    http://www.pcgamer.com/microsoft-has...n=buffer_pcgfb

The first big Windows 10 update came out last week, but Microsoft has also updated its privacy statement. Spotted by ZDNet, the updated statement has some changes that might help alleviate some users' fears that Microsoft is spying on its users.

First of all, Microsoft has added a couple of examples to the section where it outlines when it collects personal data from you. The new additions stress that data is collected only when it's necessary to provide you with the services that you've requested. For example, Microsoft has to collect the content of your email to be able to display it to you on Outlook.

Next, the sentence "Microsoft doesn't use your individual recovery keys for any purpose" has been added to the section about device encryption and how Microsoft automatically backs up BitLocker.

Another issue people had with Microsoft was the company's apparent ability to scan your personal files. However, this section has been restructured so that it only applies to files on OneDrive. It now reads: "Finally, we will access, disclose and preserve personal data, including your content (such as the content of your emails in Outlook.com, or files in private folders on OneDrive), when we have good faith belief that doing so is necessary..."

"Necessary" in this case refers to complying with the law or to protect Microsoft's rights and its customers.

Additions to the "Providing and improving our services" section include points about collecting data in order to provide better customer support, notify users of malicious software, and to confirm the validity of software licenses.

There is now a section in the privacy statement saying that Cortana can use your "current location, location history, and other location signals (such as locations tagged on photos you upload to OneDrive)" that will give you location based updates such as traffic reports. Cortana can also learn who "is most important to you from your call, text message, and email history."

Other updates include the addition of a Microsoft Health Services section, a part about Enterprise Services, and Translation Features.

- - - Updated - - -

"Finally, we will access, disclose and preserve personal data, including your content (such as the content of your emails in Outlook.com, or files in private folders on OneDrive), when we have good faith belief that doing so is necessary..." This right here, i still call bullshit
    “Snow can only live in the winter. When it nears a fire, it dies. That is its life. It may yearn for summer, but… it can only desire it. In my hand, the snow becomes water, because this is not its world….”
    “The boundless Heavens and Earth are the final resting place of all living things. Life is like a journey, filled with various scenery, various paths.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hellravager View Post
    "Microsoft doesn't use your individual recovery keys for any purpose" has been added to the section about device encryption and how Microsoft automatically backs up BitLocker.
    Well I don't think the major concern was/is *Microsoft* using those keys.

10+ Year Old Account
    Windows 10 update is removing some applications from peoples computer and installing it's own apps. CPUID and AMD Catalyst Control Center.

This is clearly a case of misidentification; Windows 10 is disabling software that doesn’t cause problems and that users are legally entitled to install. The problem, of course, is that Windows 10 apparently makes arbitrary decisions about which applications will and will not be allowed to run, then takes unilateral action without user input.
    http://www.extremetech.com/computing...t-asking-first

10+ Year Old Account
    I update my Windows 10 build at least 10 times this year and it never uninstalled CCC. Pretty much the opposite, I never had to install it myself...

Well it did remove CPU-Z on my pc, it also notified me it did so, slightly annoying but nothing more then that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Other updates include the addition of a Microsoft Health Services section, a part about Enterprise Services, and Translation Features.
    Who knows what the fuck this is except them?

Why do they feel the need to add all this bloat BS? Even apps like Calc and Task Manager take 5 seconds to load taking 10MB of memory each it's totally ridiculous.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Denpepe View Post
    Well it did remove CPU-Z on my pc, it also notified me it did so, slightly annoying but nothing more then that.
    CPU-Z isn't a big deal to lose but you're not uncomfortable that Microsoft suddenly has the power to remove applications you installed without your consent? CPU-Z is nothing, but World of Warcraft or your web browser? You'd be pissed as hell. Also what Microsoft is doing is creepy as hell.

7+ Year Old Account
    Did they fix the issue with that fugly default UI? Can you actually use your own themes?

If not, Windows 10 -- despite being a superior OS to the version I'm using, which I freely admit -- can continue to fuck right off.

(I still don't understand why they even bother to name their UI/themes. As far as I know, they've never offered any other choice, and you had to rely on third party software that "hacked" the OS -- and usually poorly -- in order to do so.)

I like the UI, looks very clean, but again preferences.. I believe you can customize now days.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    Windows 10 update is removing some applications from peoples computer and installing it's own apps. CPUID and AMD Catalyst Control Center.

http://www.extremetech.com/computing...t-asking-first
    i actually use cpuid.....fuck off windows 10.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

CPU-Z isn't a big deal to lose but you're not uncomfortable that Microsoft suddenly has the power to remove applications you installed without your consent? CPU-Z is nothing, but World of Warcraft or your web browser? You'd be pissed as hell. Also what Microsoft is doing is creepy as hell.
    I've never had anything removed randomly.

Deleted
    That's it. I'm going to install a Linux distro.

Just fuck this shit. It really angers me. It angers me that Windows' alternatives have downsides, but I can't just put up with trusting this with *all* my stuff. I would pay for a windows version I could trust, but I just can't any more with the direction they've been taking.
    I'm going to start using Linux for as much as I can, only using windows for lightroom. It's a huge step for me because I'm REALLY used to windows and I quite like the way it works, even NEED it for my photography. I'm going to lose some functionality over this. It's going to be a steep learning curve.

But I'm not OK with this, and I don't trust it. The largest reason for this is their choice of making their updates mandatory and not informing me about what they do, along with the invisible telemetry stuff - what else are they gathering secretly? And even messing with MY DATA without permission.
    Last edited by mmocbc5645dc6c; 2015-11-26 at 09:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    Anyone here having trouble with their mail app not syncing even though all the settings for it to deliver new mail as it arrives is on etc?
    This had worked all of 3 days, now it doesn't work at all. MS$tore it has 1 star = doesn't work.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    Anyone here having trouble with their mail app not syncing even though all the settings for it to deliver new mail as it arrives is on etc?
    I use Outlook, which actually works

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by karmlol View Post
    That's it. I'm going to install a Linux distro.

Just fuck this shit. It really angers me. It angers me that Windows' alternatives have downsides, but I can't just put up with trusting this with *all* my stuff. I would pay for a windows version I could trust, but I just can't any more with the direction they've been taking.
    I'm going to start using Linux for as much as I can, only using windows for lightroom. It's a huge step for me because I'm REALLY used to windows and I quite like the way it works, even NEED it for my photography. I'm going to lose some functionality over this. It's going to be a steep learning curve.

But I'm not OK with this, and I don't trust it. The largest reason for this is their choice of making their updates mandatory and not informing me about what they do, along with the invisible telemetry stuff - what else are they gathering secretly? And even messing with MY DATA without permission.
    I'm all for Linux but consider the lack of native game ports and that Wine still sucks, you may want to keep your Linux install on another machine to get used to it. Fallout 4 doesn't work at all on Linux, because it needs some DX11 files which currently Wine is just beginning their move to DX11. Even simple games like Rayman Legends gives me a serious problem. It works but my Xbox 360 controller is freaking out, like to run is the start button and I can't configure it cause every button maps to analog 4 or something. PlayOnLinux is the best pragmatic way of dealing with Windows compatibility even then it doesn't do a fairly good job.

Ultimately I'd move my last Windows machine to Linux if games didn't give me a freakin problem. Valve needs to seriously fork Wine and improve on it.

I'm all for Linux but consider the lack of native game ports and that Wine still sucks, you may want to keep your Linux install on another machine to get used to it. Fallout 4 doesn't work at all on Linux, because it needs some DX11 files which currently Wine is just beginning their move to DX11. Even simple games like Rayman Legends gives me a serious problem. It works but my Xbox 360 controller is freaking out, like to run is the start button and I can't configure it cause every button maps to analog 4 or something. PlayOnLinux is the best pragmatic way of dealing with Windows compatibility even then it doesn't do a fairly good job.

Ultimately I'd move my last Windows machine to Linux if games didn't give me a freakin problem. Valve needs to seriously fork Wine and improve on it.
    The problem is the closed nature of Windows making compatibility a case of hitting something until it breaks, fixing that issue and repeating.
    You can't ensure compatibility with an unknown.

What it is going to take is a major shift to Linux by giving the average windows user a good enough experience.
    Linux is too fragmented to do that, so it needs someone to come forward and put themselves out there as the windows alternative.
    Only when there is a real windows alternative, one that will appeal to the typical consumer then we will get this much more significant increase in Linux development which it needs to attract the developers more.
    Last edited by ComputerNerd; 2015-11-26 at 09:10 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quite honestly the only company that can achieve a competitive and unified Linux distro without fragmentation is Google. And they can make a beautiful UI too.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ComputerNerd View Post
    What it is going to take is a major shift to Linux by giving the average windows user a good enough experience.
    Linux is too fragmented to do that, so it needs someone to come forward and put themselves out there as the windows alternative.
    Only when there is a real windows alternative, one that will appeal to the typical consumer then we will get this much more significant increase in Linux development which it needs to attract the developers more.
    Problem with the bolded part is that it's still more of a dream than anything close to reality. I've been hearing that "the Windows-killer version is coming" since I started using Linux end of 90s (started on Slackware, total opposite of this ), and that this "major shift" was on the way. And while some versions are pretty good, you ALWAYS end up having to mess manually with config files in console mode at one time. And I still haven't seen any that passes the "update test" without problems, reinstalling everything is often easier than doing a kernel update. (while I haven't fully reinstalled my main Windows PC from Vista until 10 and back to 8, only used upgrades/downgrades, and yes, it still runs perfectly well)

Think the most user friendly Linux I saw were very "task-specific" versions, like OpenELEC, but even that one is still a nightmare to update, and even to configure... for example, you can't even use the wifi and ethernet at the same time by default, but the configuration tool doesn't say anything about it and will let you activate "connect automatically" on all connections, but will only connect to ethernet automatically in that case. You'll only learn about that in some years old post forums. Funnily enough, on the very first result on Google when searching "openelec use ethernet and wifi", the 2nd answer the poster gets is "You could try recompiling the OS". Think I don't need to add anything to that .
    Oh, hi.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ComputerNerd View Post
    When I can play all of my games on it.

I am not a power user... I don't use 99% of the features Windows has. I go on the internet and I play games. One of those I cannot do on Linux.

Therefore I will quite literally never use unless it changes. And that is 99% likely to never happen. Hell most publishers don't even want to support Windows anymore because their shit gets pirated more than it gets sold.

I noticed that the nagging for Windows 7/8 users to install Windows 10 has started to come back and get more aggressive in the last couple of days. I'm seeing it again, and I had all the nag stuff disabled.