Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    For me there's a lot of things that have to change in order for me to continue playing properly.

I think what they did in WoD regarding is perfect (minus the massive wait) and I hope they continue with this method; I also likely won't stick around if they go back on a totally fair change like this. My view is that convenience is good only if you've earned it; Being handed everything in a MMORPG isn't good. (inb4 lawl u don't get handed mythic gear).

This is all coming from someone that's bored shitless with the game and isn't even subbed: Handing players everything isn't good. Fuck, even in TBC at least the epic flying cost a substantial amount of gold, back then even with just a price tag attached to it, it still meant something and felt rewarding.

I find it incredibly hard to believe that not having flying is what burns people out but they're totally fine with having next to no content on the ground.
    Last edited by DechCJC; 2015-08-02 at 06:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Maudib View Post
    The content is tackled from the ground. At least once until the first toon hits max level.

So either you can have flying after that, and people level toons and stick around and pay a subscription... or they can leave game because now all that "untrivialized" content is just repetitious tedium.

For 8 years this has worked without issue. It has kept a lot of people in game. If you REALLY enjoy the game from the ground, then leveling your alts you can just not fly. It's not like you are losing anything... am I right? Those of us who prefer to farm, gather, and otherwise fly around the world... what does that hurt YOU?
    Isn't this what I just said, that the devs came up with a good compromise?

Quote Originally Posted by segara82 View Post

I still can't wrap my head around what happened between WoLK/Cat and now. I mean back in BC they had zones and quests designed with flying in mind, even in MoP they still did that ... and now it is too hard? Too expensive?
    Very bad decision IMO, features should usually be expanded on, not removed.
    Yea thats the thing that got me on it, somehow after 8 years of flying and paying for it with gold all the sudden flying is bad for the game and even now they say you have to earn it. That gets a lol wut, if they had tried this in wrath it would have be understandable but you don't wait 8 years then pull a 180 on it. The truth is something else that we will never know the real answer to.

I know after what happened in wod if they aren't fully retarded they won't pull any kind of crap with flying again.
    Last edited by Wow; 2015-08-02 at 06:38 PM.

WoD is the worst expansion ever with no flying.
    Coincidence ? I think not

Quote Originally Posted by Count Zero View Post
    What I wonder is what kind of ego it takes for someone to think their personal grievances with a company's decisions means that company is actively trying to screw people over. As opposed to making themselves money.
    When their business decisions no longer appear to square with making money by actually pleasing customers, versus making money by producing a cheap product that people purchase out of habit.

I would be okay with no flying EVAR AGAIN!!! if they'd proved with WoD they're able to use the time it would take to build out zones for flying to make a lot of compelling ground content. But they didn't do that--WoD actually had less content on launch, and less content added with each patch than previous expansions that had flying. MoP added daily quest and exploration hubs with nearly every patch. Cata had Molten Front, Wrath had the evolving Argent Tournament storyline and new dungeons, TBC had raids galore and Isle of Quel'danas. We've only had one significant content patch in WoD, and while it's a step back in the right direction, we should have had max-level daily and exploration hubs from the start of the expansion, not in the last content patch.

So they haven't proven to me that flying is a worthwhile trade, and I've stopped trusting them because of it.

That said, I'm completely fine with the Pathfinder model. Provided they don't tie it to reps that operate like Laughing Skull because mob-based rep grinding is tedious and awful.
    Last edited by Larkspur; 2015-08-02 at 07:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Larkspur View Post
    So they haven't proven to me that flying is a worthwhile trade, and I've stopped trusting them because of it.
    I am not really proflight myself I am just pro a better more engaging game. I just knew that Blizzard wouldn't deliver so I took the pro flight stance. Looks like I was right.

Removing flight added nothing to the game but tedium and annoyance.

Quote Originally Posted by Larkspur View Post
    That said, I'm completely fine with the Pathfinder model. Provided they don't tie it to reps that operate like Laughing Skull because mob-based rep grinding is tedious and awful.
    I have no problem with it, as long as it is attainable at max level, and made available w/the first content patch at the latest.

I am concerned that we won't see flight in the new expac until the last patch of the expac again.
    I am not pro Flight, I am pro a better more engaging game. I just took the pro flight stance cause I knew Blizzard couldn't deliver. Looks like I was right

Honestly flying doesn't matter and I don't see how people get stuck up on it.

Pathfinder is perfectly fine and legitimate way for them to gate it and honestly hope they use this method from now on. You want to be able to fly and skip all the content we worked on, that's fine. You just have to do it first completely on one character. Fyi, Pathfinder besides the rep things I finished in under a week. It really was no effort at all and completely reasonable. The rep took 2 weeks for me to get to revered and that was with me skipping dailies a couple days.

Problem with WoD had nothing to do with flying and if you believe this your just completely oblivious and ignorant. WoD lacks of content has been its major thing and flying only appeared to create a problem as there was literally nothing to do, after you did the little content it had. Well, people typically fill hours a day flying in circles jacking off. I mean...seriously. All flying would have let you do is flying in circles around your garrison instead of running in circles. Still points to the same problem.

Deleted
    My friend got killed in a flying accident, his mount threw him off its back.
    Plz don't take back flying into the game.
    RIP Joseph Filipsen.
    BibleThump

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Felanstr View Post
    My friend got killed in a flying accident, his mount threw him off its back.
    Plz don't take back flying into the game.
    RIP Joseph Filipsen.
    BibleThump
    You registered just to post THIS?
    MMO player
    WoW: 2006-2020 || EvE: 2013-2020 // 2023- || FFXIV: 2020- || Lost Ark: 2022-

I have played wow since vanilla. I let my sub go for the first time on july 21, 2015. I got unsubbed accidentally when my credit card was changed and I did not put he new one on my wow account. I did not unsub because of flying in WOD. I unsubbed because the content did not hold me. The things I enjoyed doing are no longer a part of WOD. I no longer raid, so I am not interested in the new raids. I found I was logging on did garrisons and grew herbs in mop to make my bags. I believe that WOW changed when the cross realm was implemented. Most of my friends, guildies and family do not play anymore. Partly real life, but lack of enjoyment of the game.

The sub loss is not about flying, it is about the poor communication that Blizzard has had with it's player base. I believe that for whatever reasons a decision was made to make WOD a smaller xpac. This decision possibly was made after the hype at Blizzcon, rather than owning up, Blizzard tried a bit of a cover up. It is my opinion that they were deceitful in implementing flying in WOD. Trust with their clients has been compromised, in some cases broken. Trust is easy to lose, hard to recover. I will wait and see how WOW evolves. For the first time I will nor preorder an xpac and I will not resub until I am assured that they have delivered what they promised. For once I am going to be a smart consumer. I miss not playing but not enough to resub right now. I hope Blizz has an oustanding xpac in the wings and I hope the players will return.

Flying was not the main issue, no flying made me enjoy the game more.
    Camping poundfist with huge 40 man groups going against other 40 man groups was one of the highlights, no flying was more of a bonus than a problem.
    The core problem is that they did nothing with no flying, they changed a huge mechanic but the game still lacked content.
    Garrison was another good idea if implemented right, but this was not the case, right now it's a glorified pit stop for stuff and a excuse to never get out of the garrison, the whole expansion was promising stuff that ended up in the worst way possible.

What wow needs right now is player interaction and content, people are craving for those.
    Last edited by Civilian; 2015-08-03 at 08:31 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Civilian View Post
    Flying was not the main issue,
    For you.
    no flying made me enjoy the game more.
    The "compromise" around flying convinced me to finally unsub.
    Camping poundfist with huge 40 man groups going against other 40 man groups was one of the highlights, no flying was more of a bonus than a problem.
    The core problem is that they did nothing with no flying, they changed a huge mechanic but the game still lacked content.
    Garrison was another good idea if implemented right, but this was not the case, right now it's a glorified pit stop for stuff and a excuse to never get out of the garrison, the whole expansion was promising stuff that ended up in the worst way possible.

What wow needs right now is player interaction and content, people are craving for those.
    Yes yes you'll get a metric shitton of interaction as people are leaving faster and faster. Keep telling us how no-flight was OK and we'll just RUN back to the game to provide with all that player presence and user interaction you say the game needs.
    Lel.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by spaceape View Post
    Flying is cool but I don't think it's crucial to an enjoyable game experience and there a valid arguments against it.
    It's far from the most important aspect of the game but I do understand the disappointment some players express with it's absence.
    I totally agree with you; In fact the only thing that really gets on my nerves about non flying, is that stupid mantra we had been hearing, that said how the game was gonna improve so much because of the non flying thing.
    Improvements in a pve server of non flying are zero in WOD.

Quote Originally Posted by Dryla View Post
    I totally agree with you; In fact the only thing that really gets on my nerves about non flying, is that stupid mantra we had been hearing, that said how the game was gonna improve so much because of the non flying thing.
    Improvements in a pve server of non flying are zero in WOD.
    I guess I am not terribly sure what you expected ... I just looked at WoWs past performance in regards to open world endgame and realized that disabling flight would just add tedium and annoyance.

Could a expansion work w/out flight. Yes but the amount of work Blizzard would have to do would be significant. I honestly think that many people who were anti flight honestly thought Blizzard would be willing to put forth that effort, I wasn't so naive.

How to make a expac w/out flight work (my opinion)
    1. Portal masters now exist along side flight masters
    2. Ground mounts have increased speed while on road
    3. Hearth Stone revamp - upon initial use it returns you to bound location, if used again returns you where you were
    4. Return have group will travel in some form.
    5. Quest mobs, and rares will all share a faction tag (kinda implemented already)
    6. Resource nodes will be personally phased ala treasures
    7. Mobs can not stun or dis mount unless elite or higher level then you.

Then the big one and most important.

8. WoW would have to release a steady stream of content patches adding new zones and updating existing ones, to make the world feel dynamic. We would be talking at least a decent content patch (no 6.1 BS) every other month, or every 3 months at worst.

That is the biggest problem WoW is stagnant, run through a zone once or a 100 times it doesn't matter it is always the same.
    I am not pro Flight, I am pro a better more engaging game. I just took the pro flight stance cause I knew Blizzard couldn't deliver. Looks like I was right

Stood in the Fire Lisa Frank Succubus's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Everyone moans about no flying or mock the people who moan about it but I never really cared much about it in WoD. There were moments where I had to terrain hug for treasure chests and I thought "gee wouldn't it be nice if I had a flying mount right now, this isn't too fun." but aside from that I never felt like any of the content had me outside of my garrison. I haven't subbed since the latest patch with Tanaan though.

I think the plan Blizzard went with in the end for flying was a good one but it was timed very poorly. They should have had the grind available to people 2-3 months afterwards or maybe in the patch they released Blackrock Foundry with.

If I return to WoW with the new expansion I totally would not mind having to do the majority of the story stuff and some rep grinding to unlock flying.

I'd prefer they prioritize adding more dungeons, fix professions and never do what they did with garrisons ever again.

New in 7.0.

Flying no longer purchasable at vendors. Now requires the Loremaster achievement, 10,000 daily quests completed and exalted with 80 factions.
    “Humanism means that the man is the measure of all things...But it is not only that man must start from himself in the area of knowledge and learning, but any value system must come arbitrarily from man himself by arbitrary choice.” - Francis A. Schaeffer

Well it looks like no flight today as well.

What happened to the weeks not months? Are we not at the months stage yet?

10+ Year Old Account
    I promise one thing, if they plan on requiring me to do shit content to unlock flying at the end of the expansion, I won't be playing the next expansion.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Maneo View Post
    Well it looks like no flight today as well.

What happened to the weeks not months? Are we not at the months stage yet?
    Given the fact they just announced the PTR testing of mercenary mode, we'll probably have to wait until that crap is released to have flying as they're planned in the same Patch...
    My fingers are hovering near the "unsub" button again... -_-
    MMO player
    WoW: 2006-2020 || EvE: 2013-2020 // 2023- || FFXIV: 2020- || Lost Ark: 2022-

My take on this is that the announcement of the xpac was meant to divert our attention from the fact that they intend to stall and dither on flying in Draenor for as long as possible, until flying is worthless because we are all finished with Draenor. When they made the decision to cave and allow us to fly, they told us it would be a "weeks, not months" before they implemented the flying. Many of us foolishly completed the ludicrous requirements to obtain flying, and are now sitting around feeling, well, like fools. In the meantime, devs are forging ahead with other things and are completely silent on flying.

The biggest criticism I have of WoD is the fact that the devs utterly failed to forsee the backlash over the "no flying" decision, and did not create the Draenor world to be flying enabled from the start. This bullshit about them having to go back and work on invisible walls etc. just highlights the fact that it should have been set up this way from the start, so they could just "flip the switch" when the inevitable revolt occured.