7+ Year Old Account

Brewmaster and Knight's Badge.

Hey guys, so I'm going to be more actively playing my brewmaster, and noticed I had already crafted it a Knight's Badge sometime ago, I can't really remember when, and it's 4/6. Is it worth it for me to upgrade it to 6?

Since I'll only really be playing it in pugs, I feel like I won't be getting many trinkets any time soon.

check out my hunter weak auras, click here

I would say before you can get a Bonus Armor w/ Mastery proc OR Mastery w/ Bonus Armor proc , this one looks fine. Bonus armor has always been the priority for tanks. Mastery is best secondary stats for monks.
    Bonus Armor w/ Mastery proc is from Iskar, Mastery w/ Bonus Armor proc is from BRF.

the trinket is pretty underbudget so its not that great. that being said, whether or not you should upgrade it should depend on your budget. since you made a thread about it, I'll say probably not

7+ Year Old Account
    I have the gold to upgrade it to 715, I was just wondering if it would actually be worth it, spending the gold on it.

Thanks for the replies though, I'll just leave it at 685 for now, see what I can get from pugging.

check out my hunter weak auras, click here

I've got a sort of related question. Is it a worthwhile trinket to have as a starter 100 piece? My monk is almost 100 and I'm off speccing Brewmaster, so I don't exactly have the best pieces for that set. But the stage 1 version was like, 250 gold or so, so I figured why not.
    Quote Originally Posted by HopOnPop View Post
    Obviously Garrosh would win, it's like a gorilla vs a human... do you know how strong a gorilla is? He'll snap your dick off and throw it in the tall grass. Garrosh = dick-snapper.
    Quote Originally Posted by Seezer View Post
    Sure. When I wake up in the middle of the night with a full tank, I just flip back the curtain and let it flow.

At 640 the knight's badge is pretty good compared to other trinkets of similar ilvl. As it is upgraded it falls behind raid drops of equal ilvl.

There are a couple other trinkets to consider for a fresh 100. These two can be acquired without relying on RNG:

Splendid Skettis Sapphire from Strange Sapphire in Tanaan. ilvl 650, 191 Bonus Armor, 226 Stamina

Spineshard Crest from the Baleful Trinket. ilvl 650, 191 Bonus Armor, 191 of a random secondary stat

Personally, I would start with the knight's badge and the sapphire. I might upgrade the knight's badge a couple times depending on price. I would not spend felblight to upgrade it.

Deleted
    Knight's Badge upgraded 6/6 is probably the BiS Trinket for BrM Crit/Haste optimization along with Archimonde's one.
    But eh? Who plays anything else than BrM Mastery nowadays?

Quote Originally Posted by dubwise View Post
    the trinket is pretty underbudget so its not that great. that being said, whether or not you should upgrade it should depend on your budget. since you made a thread about it, I'll say probably not
    KB has exactly the same budget as the Anzu trinket, which is considered the best tank trinket in the game. The reason it's not favored is because the proc is just RNG on top of more RNG. Two minutes between procs, and all the procs give you is RNG dodge. KB probably lowers overall damage taken by more than every other trinket, but nobody really cares about that stat.

Quote Originally Posted by quthar View Post
    At 640 the knight's badge is pretty good compared to other trinkets of similar ilvl. As it is upgraded it falls behind raid drops of equal ilvl.

There are a couple other trinkets to consider for a fresh 100. These two can be acquired without relying on RNG:

Splendid Skettis Sapphire from Strange Sapphire in Tanaan. ilvl 650, 191 Bonus Armor, 226 Stamina

Spineshard Crest from the Baleful Trinket. ilvl 650, 191 Bonus Armor, 191 of a random secondary stat

Personally, I would start with the knight's badge and the sapphire. I might upgrade the knight's badge a couple times depending on price. I would not spend felblight to upgrade it.
    All right, cool. Thanks a lot!
    Quote Originally Posted by HopOnPop View Post
    Obviously Garrosh would win, it's like a gorilla vs a human... do you know how strong a gorilla is? He'll snap your dick off and throw it in the tall grass. Garrosh = dick-snapper.
    Quote Originally Posted by Seezer View Post
    Sure. When I wake up in the middle of the night with a full tank, I just flip back the curtain and let it flow.

Quote Originally Posted by Wannoob View Post
    Knight's Badge upgraded 6/6 is probably the BiS Trinket for BrM Crit/Haste optimization along with Archimonde's one.
    But eh? Who plays anything else than BrM Mastery nowadays?
    No one uses it afaik. There are plenty of better options for every encounter and if you're going for dmg it's not good. So can you explain to me how it's 'probably BIS'?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Xequecal View Post
    KB has exactly the same budget as the Anzu trinket, which is considered the best tank trinket in the game.
    Having the same 'budget' doesn't matter, they have completely different stats
    Last edited by AgilityTank; 2015-08-02 at 11:06 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by dubwise View Post
    No one uses it afaik. There are plenty of better options for every encounter and if you're going for dmg it's not good. So can you explain to me how it's 'probably BIS'?
    This should deserve more than a simple MMO-Champ reply, if you want my opinion, but here we go.

They're different paradigms regarding what a Tank must do.
    For some people, a Tank' job is all about positioning the boss, and surviving.
    For others, it is to empower the previous aspect + to assist the raid (healing or DPS). This one will generally be encountered within the Top guilds aiming for the progress.

The question asked is then the following: "How far should we rise the DPS - assist - if this one goes against the Survival ?" or "To what extent do we consider that we have too much Survival, allowing to trade it against DPS ?".

Tank DPSing might appear as a misconception. We should all agree that positioning is the Top priority of a Tank (allowing the melees to DPS correcly, or increase the potential of AoE Healing abilities) along with the Survival.
    That being said, through the years, the DPS of a Tank could have been enough to change the outcome of more than an encounter.
    E.g. ? Approximately every encounter of the game (strong impact on DPSchecks).

Anyway, let's go directly into Theorycrafting:

1% Mastery = 175 stat points.
    1% Crit = 105 stat points (roughly).
    For 1% Mastery, you can have approximately 1.6% Crit.
    Plus, Crit > Mastery regarding DPS (Mastery still grants AP %, but we don't have enough AP on gear to make it superior over Crit).
    Regarding Magic damages: Crit > Mastery (unless Soul Dance, but there's no encounter with only Magic damages requiring to play with Soul Dance).
    Regarding Physical damages: Mastery > Crit through direct damage reduction. Crit > Mastery through overall damage reduction.

In other words, if you play with Mastery, you play damage mitigation. If you play with Crit, you play damage avoidance.
    175 Mastery points = 1% Stagger = 1.25% Reduction through Stagger (considering you destag - cancel - it instantly, which often takes a few seconds).
    105 Crit points = 1% Crit = getting closer to the Elusive Brew Cap.
    Note: Elusive Brew Cap is considered as the golden cap that makes 100% Elusive Brew generation in average. In other words, it's the point where Crit loses its value due to the over-generation of Elusive Brew stacks.

So why do we (BrM Monk Crit super top secret community - probably only me though ) want to reach the Elusive Brew cap?
    A: Because EB is powerful. EB active equals damages divided by 2.5.
    Let's give other elements?
    - EB becomes even more powerful with the 4P (aka the Monk bonus aberration). Use it during the EB=Guard generation phase (spam EH to reduce Guard CD), you'll see the result.
    - HFC is made of semi-active tanking encounters (you tank it half time, then switch). It makes EB even stronger by generating stacks when you're not tanking.
    - Indirectly, the crit generated triggers more critical healings on EH. In other words, it enpowers the self-healing ability (which runs around 100k+ with the 4P bonus + Resolve cap).

* The role of the Haste:

Not to spend hours on this, Haste has two major roles:
    - Increasing the generation of energy and thus the number of EH, and subsequently the use of Guard.
    - Increasing the speed of AA, leading to some reduction on the Critical cap required for EB cap.

* Other points that lead to Crit optimization:
    - 4P is currently too strong. It's impossible to die with it. You can almost survive by yourself without any healer to the Mythic bosses.
    - There's enough raid Cooldowns in case EB doesn't trigger (worst RNG ever).
    So why not trading a bit against DPS?
    I'll say it differently: Why not trading a bit for DPS and for an optimization that probably empowers our current situation?

Now, Dubwise, I shall answer your question through various elements:
    - Knight's Badge increases tremendously the amount of Crit (2804 for 20 secs, 115 secs cooldown, 15% proc) = approximately 27% crit. It leads to ensure the EB cap for at least 20 secs.
    - Knight's Badge has almost 2 minutes Cooldown. It's possible to use it with the Legendary Ring (recall 1% Versa = 1% DPS). It clearly empowers its effect.
    - Knight's Badge has a decent amount of BA (like every real Tank trinket. BA is the Best Stat).
    - Against which Trinket can we trade the Knight's Badge? Velhary trinket = horrible. Kormrok trinket = shit. Anzu trinket = tolerable for Mastery optimization, but not for Crit. Knight's Badge is definitely the best choice for Crit BrM optimization.
    - It increases the effect of the masterpiece trinket.

And the masterpiece trinket, I mean Archimonde's trinket.
    Let's take the Heroic version: 22% damages while under EB.
    Well, even if we consider EB cap reached, we cannot do 22% (RNG RNG), but probably something like 20%.
    A trinket that definitely increases all your damages by 20% is known under the name of: monstruosity.

I don't think I have that much things to add. Still open for answers though!
    Last edited by mmocfe2a18639c; 2015-08-03 at 07:47 AM. Reason: Correction

I wish it was as simple as you are trying to make it. (edited bc I'm def not glad I asked in the first place lol)
    Last edited by AgilityTank; 2015-08-03 at 03:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wannoob View Post

So why do we (BrM Monk Crit super top secret community - probably only me though ) want to reach the Elusive Brew cap?
    A: Because EB is powerful. EB active equals damages divided by 2.5.
    Let's give other elements?
    - EB becomes even more powerful with the 4P (aka the Monk bonus aberration). Use it during the EB=Guard generation phase (spam EB to reduce Guard CD), you'll see the result.
    - HFC is made of semi-active tanking encounters (you tank it half time, then switch). It makes EB even stronger by generating stacks when you're not tanking.
    - Indirectly, the crit generated triggers more critical healings on EH. In other words, it enpowers the self-healing ability (which runs around 100k+ with the 4P bonus + Resolve cap).

I don't think I have that much things to add. Still open for answers though!
    what do you mean here with EB reducing the cooldown of guard due to the 4 piece? the 4 piece is Expel harm reduces cooldown not elusive brew.

Deleted
    Right, mistake writen.
    EH reduces the Guard CD.
    EB just reduces the damages taken in this "tense phase" when Guard isn't available.

Correcting this.