Page 1 of 9
... LastLast
    Deleted

People demanding more jobs: Naive or lacking knowledge about how the world works?

Once in a while, in many countries, people protest and "demand" more jobs.
    I always wonder what these people are expecting. Where do they think that jobs magically come from? It's not like you can create thousands of jobs out of thin air?

Oftenly, protesters are the "hippie-looking" kind of people (dreadlocks, clothes that scream "I don't want to adapt or fit in anywhere etc.) and I personally always viewed them as being (very) naive but maybe they truely lack some form of insight how the world, and humanity, works.

What do you think?

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    The more people complain the more companies will start to mass produce robots that don't demand jobs or money except electricity and maintenance from other robots that are idle.

From my extensive experience in simcity it's up to the government to provide enough jobs to keep the economy growing. Without that taxes stagnant and the city/country can never grow.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think the people typically bitching about people not working, are the same ones honestly trying to be slave drivers, and make value judgments on people that actually do.
    I want people to work, but I want them to lead the kind of lives I would have them live.

However by the same means, nobody is entitled to a job, or really anything else that someone else works for to provide, and by work for, I don't mean natural resources like land or water. Some to me the bottom line is, it is better to have people who want to work, and do a good job which is most, and hire them, rather than holding fake brass rings or obnoxious conditions on people who at the end of the say are just trying to survive and live just like everybody else does.

I much rather have people working and making a fair wage doing so they can provide for themselves, than hold shit over people just because I can.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Danifilth View Post
    The more people complain the more companies will start to mass produce robots that don't demand jobs or money except electricity and maintenance from other robots that are idle.
    Companies will automate jobs to cut costs and improve profits. This will lead to higher unemployment, initially among the working class factory type jobs, but eventually to other roles as well. Of course unemployed people have less spending power, which will lead to companies selling less products, increased competition between companies and lower prices / reduced profits and eventually a lot of companies going bankrupt.

No, don't be foolish... the robots come because they're cheaper and will replace workers no matter what.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post
    Once in a while, in many countries, people protest and "demand" more jobs.
    I always wonder what these people are expecting. Where do they think that jobs magically come from? It's not like you can create thousands of jobs out of thin air?

Oftenly, protesters are the "hippie-looking" kind of people (dreadlocks, clothes that scream "I don't want to adapt or fit in anywhere etc.) and I personally always viewed them as being (very) naive but maybe they truely lack some form of insight how the world, and humanity, works.

What do you think?
    Well, in the city I live in jobs are scarce (our 1 mall only has like 3 stores in it now) simply because of all the red tape companies have to go through (they can't make new buildings, they have to go into an already made building which are quite small) and the uber high taxes and rent so yeah at least here it is a legit complaint and a fair demand.
    History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people - Martin Luther King, Jr.

It's a government's task and responsibility to provide enough jobs for its citizens, so all have the possibility to live a decent life. Yes, governments can and should create jobs out of thin air, for example by investing in major projects, by stimulating the market in various ways (legislation, subsidies, etc) , or simply by creating them itself (think civil service).

It's easy to find jobs, and a lot of people want to work. Just a lot of jobs require at least 1 year experience in say 'A Warehouse environment' and skills often picked up in that role, which they won't recruit people who don't fulfill the experience requirement which therefore holds a lot of young people back. I mean what happened to the employer training new employee's? Everyone can learn. My parents never had this issue back in the 70's , just something that is now adopted over the years and it sucks.

Even people who go to university and get that degree still have trouble applying for certain jobs, so if anything, employer's /companies need to lax the requirements down a tad bit, or be willing to train up potential employee's without experience, but have those skills.

Quote Originally Posted by Rathoric View Post
    It's easy to find jobs, and a lot of people want to work. Just a lot of jobs require at least 1 year experience in say 'A Warehouse environment' and skills often picked up in that role, which they won't recruit people who don't fulfill the experience requirement which therefore holds a lot of young people back. I mean what happened to the employer training new employee's? Everyone can learn. My parents never had this issue back in the 70's , just something that is now adopted over the years and it sucks.

Even people who go to university and get that degree still have trouble applying for certain jobs, so if anything, employer's /companies need to lax the requirements down a tad bit, or be willing to train up potential employee's without experience, but have those skills.
    You just have to convince them you are worth training for the job. 1 year experience are entry level positions. Even the field I'm in I can literally take someone off the street and give them a well above minimum wage job if they can learn fast.

10+ Year Old Account
    This is a good thing, since moving towards a utopian society we should have 100% unemployment, so people can pursue Life instead of living to work.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Acidz View Post
    It's a government's task and responsibility to provide enough jobs for its citizens, so all have the possibility to live a decent life. Yes, governments can and should create jobs out of thin air, for example by investing in major projects, by stimulating the market in various ways (legislation, subsidies, etc) , or simply by creating them itself (think civil service).
    Finally someone said something that made sense. The government is not some do nothing bitch that just fucks millionaires.

Quote Originally Posted by Barnabas View Post
    You just have to convince them you are worth training for the job. 1 year experience are entry level positions. Even the field I'm in I can literally take someone off the street and give them a well above minimum wage job if they can learn fast.
    Too easy. What if there are simply not enough jobs? You can prove all you want, but if the total amount of work is smaller than the total workforce, then there will be unemployment. This isn't solved by proving you are worth hiring, as there will be other people who are equally worth hiring for that same position.

Quote Originally Posted by Acidz View Post
    Too easy. What if there are simply not enough jobs? You can prove all you want, but if the total amount of work is smaller than the total workforce, then there will be unemployment. This isn't solved by proving you are worth hiring, as there will be other people who are equally worth hiring for that same position.
    Sure but I'd rather take someone that is easy going on than someone that is the best but has attitude problems. You can always get training in robotics technician since robots are replacing human labor. It's a booming field and will continue to replace those jobs the robots take from humans. As a bonus you'll get paid more than doing the robots job. Here's one of hundreds of schools offering training.

http://nrtcenter.com/Training/GenTra...chCertProg.asp
    Last edited by Barnabas; 2015-08-01 at 01:57 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Some people mistakenly believe that rich people will create jobs out of the kindness of their heart if they have even more disposable profits. Others more realistically realize that an economy needs demand for jobs, and thus people with money to create that demand, for jobs to appear. Jobs are created by companies when there is potential for profit if that job is created, and no other time.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Quote Originally Posted by Yilar View Post
    Finally someone said something that made sense. The government is not some do nothing bitch that just fucks millionaires.
    Seems like unhealthy levels of both naivety and lack of understanding of how the world works.

I've never heard of a protest to demand jobs from government here. Everyone here believes jobs come from the private sector, even government jobs spring up because the government jobs are required by the expanding private sector.

If it has happened it's rare.

We have very low unemployment now. People will tell you the government had nothing to do with it.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    i find it hilarious that people would protest to 'demand' jobs when the company i work for has been hiring for 4 years straight and cant seem to fill positions fast enough....the work is out there, the problem is that there aren't enough people with a work ethic to actually go out and work for a living...too many people and organizations willing to support the lazy i guess

the single most important event that got the US out of the depression was government creating jobs out of "thin air" by building the national parks

completely removed from the private sector.

so saying its not possible for government to fix an economy ruined by the private sector (lol implying that govt policy didnt ruin the private sector) is a view ignorant of history

when people ask for jobs, they probably mean something like this.

since most people are unaware of the extraordinarily complex nature of economics, most people will have views like OP, or, think that broken window is the only way to fix economies.

The correct method of creating jobs is by cutting regulations.

The US government helped cut the unemployment rate in the late 70s / early 80s by cutting tremendous amounts of worthless regulations.

Liberals will argue that regulations are required to protect things otherwise corporations will run roughshod over everything. Conservatives will argue that such a belief is nothing more than a fear tactic, that we can responsibly grow the economy without killing it with unneeded regulations, and that liberalism is defined by manufacturing artificial shortages (via regulations) in order to make government stronger.

Take the oil industry. We recently had an oil boom in the United States. Should we drill for more oil? Open up new lands (and offshore areas) for drilling? Maybe install pipelines? With nothing more sign signing a piece of paper, Obama could have created lots of high paying jobs by cutting regulations on the booming oil industry. Instead, he chose to keep regulations in place. Had we elected McCain / Palin, they would have cut some regulations on the oil industry allowing it to grow more and create more jobs.

Looking back, we would have had a lot more high-paying jobs under McCain than Obama. And I highly doubt the environment would have been wrecked in the process as liberals would claim.

Just a classic example of voters choosing the wrong path and picking Obama instead.